SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Pro Pointer, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So my friend is new to CRHing halves and he showed me a half he found that fooled him haha! I knew who it was right away!

image-1306064752.jpg

Upvote 0

Vdubguy

Jul 31, 2013
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 (current detector)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Garrett AT Pro (first detector, no longer have)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just posted about Buff in my thread, found three of his coins in a batch last week. Made me laugh cause I'm on here all the time and I knew that marking right away

OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He would like to know what 1213 means on the back haha! It was found in NJ if you're interested in knowing where it has traveled. Good luck and happy hunting

OP
OP
SCDigginWithAK

SCDigginWithAK

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just posted about Buff in my thread, found three of his coins in a batch last week. Made me laugh cause I'm on here all the time and I knew that marking right away

Haha! Looks like they're traveling around. I've only found one marked half. It's gonna sound odd but I wouldn't mind finding a few!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey that's me! "12 13" means it was marked and released in December, 2013 :D
thanks for sharing,
HH
Buff

kennedyfan

Jul 22, 2011
Detector(s) used
Bank Tellers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just can't imagine anybody taking the time to mark their coins, especially with two words like that. Personally, I try to handle the dump-coins as little as possible, which means only a glance at the edge, *maybe* if I'm feeling adventurous I'll look at the face if the edge is in exceptionally good shape - I tend to find some NIFC's that way - but otherwise it gets dumped in the coin-lok bag as quickly as possible. The idea of spending the time to write my name on thousands of coins? Well, not for me.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To each their own...
I just can't imagine anybody taking the time to mark their coins, especially with two words like that. Personally, I try to handle the dump-coins as little as possible, which means only a glance at the edge, *maybe* if I'm feeling adventurous I'll look at the face if the edge is in exceptionally good shape - I tend to find some NIFC's that way - but otherwise it gets dumped in the coin-lok bag as quickly as possible. The idea of spending the time to write my name on thousands of coins? Well, not for me.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only I know how many are out there, Kenedyfan, He could have gotten 1 of the 10 I marked that month. Just because people find my marked coins doesn't mean I am marking thousands upon thousands of coins..

karmaisking

Jan 26, 2014
baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
not yet, but soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im new the the site, i'm from baltimore MD
im not new to collecting coins and searching rolls.
I bet i've seen at least a dozen or so marked buffalo boy coins, at least now i know who does it, but i wish i was more clear of the pattern of dumped coins!
How are your dumped coins getting all the way to baltimore MD?
And where do my dumped coins end up??
any input on the dumped coin recirculation would be appreciated.

Thanks

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coins travel everywhere. There are 12 federal reserve districts in the US but the coins usually stay within the district but sometimes they get bought out by another district as supply and demand changes week by week.
What code are you getting stamped on your half dollar boxes?

karmaisking

Jan 26, 2014
baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
not yet, but soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ill be searching through my usual tonight, what should i be looking for on the boxes?
i assume each box should have a reserve marking on it? if so what are the usual markings on the half dollar boxes?

thanks

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
it should be on the side without the holes and is typically a 4-digit code.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread