First time Coin roll hunt today.......

MikeTN

Feb 19, 2005
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Well I went today with an extra 50 bux that wasn't doing nothing but burning a hole in my pocket...I got 5 10 dollar rolls of halfs...Nothing but post 1970 Kennys.. All had write'n on them so I assumed they have been searched.. It was fun though! I am going back out this afternoon and I have a question...Is there any rare coins made after 1970? What should I be looking for? Any help for a noobie roll hunter? I have other banks to try...

Thanks for any help!
Mike

Upvote 0

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
87 (P or D) were not released for general circulation, rather only as parts of Uncirculated and Souvenir sets, less than 3M of each were minted....and are keepers.

Any "S" mintmarks (silver clad or cupro-nickel) are keepers, as they were issued only in Silver and Silver Premier Proof Sets and regular Proof Sets. Plus are low mintages.

Lastly, any post '01 halves were also not released for general circulation, have low mintages and should be kept. IMHO

OP
OP
MikeTN

MikeTN

Feb 19, 2005
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Wow thanks guys for QUCK responses, I am going to do a Little MD'n this afternoon and maybe hit a bank or two. Hehe this is alot of fun for those rainy days when ya can't swing the coil! Thanks for the help! Wish you all the BEST of luck! ;D

Mike

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck Mike.....keep us posted.

OP
OP
MikeTN

MikeTN

Feb 19, 2005
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
I sure will thanks ;) Didn't make it back to the bank today, but I did go MD'n .90 in clad...one '65 quarter, missed it by a year! Oh well, good way to spend an Hour! :)

Thanks for all the kind words and help!

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread