Formula for silver in half dollars

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to this section of TN so you probably have this posted here somewhere. In the reading I have done so far in here, I haven't seen it yet so I'll post it for general information. I know I found it informative.
Kennedy Half Dollars
Kennedy half dollars were first produced in 1964. Half dollars that bear the 1964 date are 90% silver, and carry a numismatic premium based on the current price of silver. In 1965 the amount of silver used in the production of Kennedy halves was decreased to 40%, and this specification was used until 1970. Kennedy halves dated 1971 and later contain no silver and do not command a numismatic premium. In order to evaluate the current value of your Kennedy half dollars, multiply the current market price for silver by 0.36169 for 1964 issues, and by 0.1479 for all issues 1965 to 1970.

Upvote 0

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
If you would like a spreadsheet to keep track of your search, 90%, 40% yields just PM me and I can send it to you. Apparently I can not upload .xls sheets.

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Appreciate the offer 65 but I'm not searching that much. I'm just sort of looking at this game of roll searching. Seems like it would be fun but time consuming. I don't know if the results are worth the effort. If you do it for fun, then yes, but for profit it seems like a waste of time in most cases. Just my opinion.

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Trust me packerbacker, the profitability is there. I started searching halves full time last September (BTW, "full time" was 2-3 hours a day, twice a week) and in January I cashed in about $500 face value in 40% halves for triple that price. That's 200% profit. It paid for a vacation I had in December.

Granted some people are not having the same kind of luck as others on this board, but there seems to be enough silver for even the casual roll hunter. Plus not everybody here is doing it for profit. Many plan to pass their hoards on to their kids and grandkids. Others are just coin collectors who love the thrill of the hunt. Most are a combination of all three. Give it a shot and you'll get addicted fast!

OP
OP
packerbacker

packerbacker

Gold Member
May 11, 2005
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
btw 6920, your calculator is much better than mine. I've used it a lot lately figuring out how much you folks are finding. ;)

AFModell

Feb 27, 2006
DE
I believe 1976S also had silver clad halves, as well as some of the S mints from 1992 and onwards. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread