Penny Jackpot! Find of the century! No-Millenium!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
trust.jpg trust2.jpg god we.jpg I've been doing a lot of pennies lately, and have nearly filled a complete Lincoln set, with some notable exceptions. The banks are getting cranky and you should get the dirty looks I get when I go in to pick up coins.

So I went a little different direction and started buying 5,000 count mint sealed bags of various dates. Now they do cost more than what you'd get at the bank but there are the chance of blank planchets, off center strikes and other errors you would not get in rolls. I was marginally successful in the first three bags of 1975's and 1979's. Actually I only got a few keepers.

Then I took a huge chance, as in HUGE, and got two bags of uncirculated 1972-P's. I found a 1972'P double die out of change not long ago, and got enthused. AKA excitable.
Well, I have gone through all TEN THOUSAND COINS. The snow storms helped. No blank planchets and no off center strikes and no clips.

HOWEVER, I found about SIX of the 1972 double die type 6's, with clockwise rotation. I found SIXTY of the very distinctly doubled type 8's. Three have been sent out to get slabbed (dealer said they'd probably come back MS-63). And, check this out, over TWO HUNDRED FIFTY of the type 3's. They are stronger images than the type 6's but not as strong as the type 8's.

That's over 300 double dies in two bags. Holy cow Batman, now what? Besides getting some cleaner pictures.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up a Cherrypickers Guide to Rare Die Varieties of US Coins and another book called "How to tell If your Cat is plotting to Kill You". I glanced at the Cherrypickers book and decided it would take days to photograph and study all these coins, and promptly started on the killer cat book, which a friend gave me today.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One other thing to think about. A lot of the 72s have master die doubling. This is extremely common and not worth any premium.
HH
enamel7

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a few of those also but didn't keep them

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's one. I'm going to have to set up a better way to take photos. This one isn't all that good although it is right up close. Think this one is a type 8. Edges are well rounded, I have sent several off for grading so I'll find out if they put a type on it in a few weeks. strong1.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread