Gonna be hard flying under the radar now

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
Stopped by Chase today, to get a rare President's Day coin fix. While waiting my turn, I heard the teller tell the drive through customer that starting in March they'd have to show id to deposit money!

I figured I couldn't have heard her correctly, so I asked her about it. Turns out that all Chase banks - and presumably soon all banks everywhere - are going to require a photo id to either deposit or withdraw cash. I didn't ask her, but I suspect this will apply to people exchanging cash for coins or vice-versa. What she said was that this is being done in an effort to combat money laundering. Not only do they have to id the customer, but they have to enter the id in their computers - again, for each and every transaction. She was really b*tching up a storm, as it will mean a LOT of extra work for them.
:cussing:

For those of us who fly under the radar while coin roll hunting, this may throw a huge monkey wrench into the works. If nothing else, it will raise a lot more red flags for anyone who analyzes accounts, and may completely halt non-account holders from buying coin.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

:-\

Upvote 0

mr.landpirate

Dec 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have accounts at all major banks in my town because they wouldn't sell coins to non account clients. If you can get major boxes w/o an account your darn lucky.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could always turn them into Coin star and get a gift card.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just more control, pushing us farther back in our cages...

People better start waking up to the police state soon.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Has nothing to do with laundering money and more to do with government control...

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
Has nothing to do with laundering money and more to do with government control...

Agreed, what drug dealer or other criminal shows up with $1000-$5000 in coin?

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
My dump bank requests to see my debit card every time I exchange my coins for cash now so they can enter my acct. # each time - regardless of the size of the transaction. It used to be that the tellers that knew me wouldn't ask for my card if they knew I had an acct there. But now they have to keep track of every transaction. That's just the country we live in these days. Virtually everything in business (and increasingly so in our personal lives as well) is regulated and controlled and monitored and this trend will only continue to get worse in the future.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other

Yes actually its the Fed and the Us government who are the real money launderers. The Fed continues to flood the world with worthless U.S dollars and the government continues to sell our worthless bonds to our creditors knowing full well that that money can never be paid back or if it is it will just be paid back in worthless dollars thanks to the Fed. The U.S bond market and the this Keynesian borrow and spend economy we've adopted in this country for so long now is the biggest Ponzi scheme in world history.

Last edited:
OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011

Agreed, what drug dealer or other criminal shows up with $1000-$5000 in coin?

Not disagreeing with you, but supposedly this is happening to EVERYONE - from coin roll hunters to little old ladies getting cash out of their savings accounts.

The teller also said that nobody will be able to deposit money into an account they're not on anymore. So you can't deposit money in your wife's account if you're not a signatory. Just think how much it's going to screw up parents who open accounts for their children - something else she mentioned. Boy, was she p*ssed! Can't say I blame her though.

Completely agree with Treasure Hunter's government control assessment

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
We already need an ID to withdraw money, but now to exchange and deposit? This will definitely screw things for me. I deposit money into peoples accounts all the time. I feel like they are also going to keep huge databases and make profiles for everyone and forward information to the IRS too.

Chase Revamps Cash Deposit Rules to Ease Money-Laundering Risks | Fox Business

I had to see it to believe it. Here are a few highlights from the article:

“It’s an excellent idea. I guarantee other banks will follow suit very shortly -- if they’re smart,” said Annemarie McAvoy, a former federal prosecutor who now teaches anti-money laundering and counterterrorism at Fordham Law School.

Great! Give it a year and a few months and all of the banks will be doing it.

Under the Bank Secrecy Act of 1970, banks must report cash transactions exceeding $10,000.
But McAvoy, former in-house counsel at Citi and Morgan Stanley (MS), notes that terrorist financing can often come in well below the $10,000 threshold.

Also, we now have the threat of potentially lowering the CTR requirement, which will destroy some CRHers volume abilities, thanks to "terrorism." There is no terrorism, it is a rouse that has been used since Sept. 11 to destroy our rights, just like Hitler did. $10000 in 1970 is worth $60000 today. The CTR limit should be $60000, not $10000, and now it will potentially go lower so they REALLY GET IN OUR FACES. Sorry for my rant, but this kind of crap REALLY pisses me off. This kind of crap is going to keep happening.

Last edited:

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
We already need an ID to withdraw money, but now to exchange and deposit? This will definitely screw things for me. I deposit money into peoples accounts all the time. I feel like they are also going to keep huge databases and make profiles for everyone and forward information to the IRS too.

“It’s an excellent idea. I guarantee other banks will follow suit very shortly -- if they’re smart,” said Annemarie McAvoy, a former federal prosecutor who now teaches anti-money laundering and counterterrorism at Fordham Law School.

Under the Bank Secrecy Act of 1970, banks must report cash transactions exceeding $10,000.
But McAvoy, former in-house counsel at Citi and Morgan Stanley (MS), notes that terrorist financing can often come in well below the $10,000 threshold.

Also, we now have the threat of potentially lowering the CTR requirement, which will destroy some CRHers volume abilities, thanks to "terrorism." There is no terrorism, it is a rouse that has been used since Sept. 11 to destroy our rights, just like Hitler did. $10000 in 1970 is worth $60000 today. The CTR limit should be $60000, not $10000, and now it will potentially go lower so they REALLY GET IN OUR FACES. Sorry for my rant, but this kind of crap REALLY pisses me off. This is going to keep happening until we we wake up in a cage as a slave of the state.

Deep breaths, deep breaths. Its going to be ok

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
FormerTeller

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
I feel like they are also going to keep huge databases and make profiles for everyone and forward information to the IRS too.

I had to see it to believe it....

This kind of crap is going to keep happening.

They may not automatically forward the data to the IRS, but you can bet the IRS will be able to subpoena it!

The thing that ticks me off is that if this really is to counter money laundering, it's complete overkill. Photo id for cash deposits of $10,000 or more? Great! Photo id for multiple cash deposits of $3,000 - $5,000? Might be justified. Photo id for cash deposits of $50 - $100, or even less? Asinine!!!

No way will other banks copy these measures to this extreme. Will alienate their customer base even more, which the article stated is already set to hurt the banking industry.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those of us that hold onto the core American principles of freedom are being pushed further and further to the fringes everyday as morons who love big data, technology, and government issued - babysitting continue to control the direction of the country. I, for one, am very sad about this

Remember folks it is up to us who have their head on straight to speak up, and the only way to do that these days is with money (another sad fact). The second they ask you for that ID, say "OK", up the withdraw amount to your entire account, close your account and firmly state why you have done so. Tell them where you are taking your business and why, then drive across town to a bank that doesn't make these types of freedom-crippling decisions. Tell the new bank also why you brought your money to them, and let them know if they enact mandatory IDs for withdraws you will be taking your business elsewhere.

Last edited:

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other reason why this bothers me so much is, who is really laundering money and avoiding paying taxes to the IRS? Simple answer to that question, millionaires and huge corporations that have the money and resources to find tax havens. But of course, they never come down on those people because those are the same people who make/influence the laws half the time. Instead they S$%T on the little guy trying to collect some silver before the dollar is worth toilet paper. That way they can look like they're doing something and can continue to do the exact thing they tell us they're trying to stop.

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It started for me a couple of months ago at one branch of one bank, except worse. They recorded every SN of every FRN that I used to get my $2k in halves and tied that record to me via Driver License. Cash has SNs, coins don't. Eventually, our elected jackholes will make it illegal to have more than a pocket full of change so that we can't buy ecstasy with nickels.

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/coin-roll-hunting/390640-yet-another-end-crh-thread.html
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/coin-roll-hunting/390745-anyone-hear-fincen.html

AgentX

Dec 21, 2010

Also, we now have the threat of potentially lowering the CTR requirement, which will destroy some CRHers volume abilities, thanks to "terrorism." There is no terrorism, it is a rouse that has been used since Sept. 11 to destroy our rights, just like Hitler did. $10000 in 1970 is worth $60000 today. The CTR limit should be $60000, not $10000, and now it will potentially go lower so they REALLY GET IN OUR FACES. Sorry for my rant, but this kind of crap REALLY pisses me off. This kind of crap is going to keep happening.

But hey, you don't need an ID to vote! Apparently that's ok.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread