What would you guys pay?

westkybanded

Sep 9, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Like a lot of you I'm sure, I've got several gas station attendants that keep their eyes peeled for me for silver and other odd coins. Normally, I'll pay 16x on silver dimes and quarters, and that's all they really throw at me. Getting my morning coffee and the guy shows me 5 readable date buffalos that he got out of a roll the day before. Threw the kid a five just to keep him on the hook. Walking out, I realized I just paid him that much... Lol... I figured he would keep me at the top of the list the next time some kid pays for gas with Grandpa's Morgans...

Before you ask, 1920, 1920, 1927, 1925, 1934

Upvote 0

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A buck acoin for a readable date buff isnt horribly bad- and like you said it could help you score a lot better deal down the road

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

sjlund

Dec 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you are overpaying across the board.

I agree. At the beginning of February spot was about 14x and even today it is slightly under 16x. I wouldn't pay spot to a gas station attendant either...

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
I have been paying the local neighbors and friends 75% of the silver melt value at that days listing. I let them know they should go to the local pawn shops and see if they can beat my deal, so far no one has.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been paying the local neighbors and friends 75% of the silver melt value at that days listing. I let them know they should go to the local pawn shops and see if they can beat my deal, so far no one has.

Dang wish I had neighbors/friends who would sell @ 75% melt- thats a great deal ya got going weighit-

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
My co-workers, friends and family won't accept my offers @ melt. They'd rather take less from a dealer, 'cause "You're not a licensed buyer."

OP
OP
W

westkybanded

Sep 9, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've been paying 16x for a very long time. Rather than trying to explain the precious metals market to someone with a 5th grade education, I figure it'll come out a wash in the end.

Owassokie

Jun 28, 2012
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been paying 16x for a very long time. Rather than trying to explain the precious metals market to someone with a 5th grade education, I figure it'll come out a wash in the end.

I like your thinking there. Why provide an education. Plus, my experience is that people will lose interest if you start to "lose them" with a bunch of words. If I were you, I'd make the math even easier. 10x face for 1964 and older quarters and dimes.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally have no desire to add common date and condition buffs to my collection at $1 each, nor do I have any desire to add to my silver stash @ 16X face value for junk silver when silver is ~$21. To me, the whole purpose of a set up like this is to get a discount by paying immediate cash. I see no discount here.

With that said, words such as "value", "worth", etc. are strange words with tricky meanings. If its worth it to you, regardless of the amount you paid, then its a good deal for you.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Out here folks only have the 7 pawn shops that would be buyers, and none are close to my 75% of melt. A few of the bank tellers save coins for me, but they always get face, and then either ice cream sundaes or a box of chocolates. I win either way.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you saying they're dimwits?:laughing7:

blog%2B240.jpg

Just sayin... I think it may be a time for a change of friends and family if that's the case.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread