what to do with all the canucks??

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You could sell them on eBay but you'll lose 13% plus PayPal fees. That may be your easiest bet though. Release the cents back into the wild though it doesn't make sense to ship them due to the extra weight for a dollar in pennies.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive got a ton too, was wondering if we could set up an exchange between us and Canadian members?

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since canada stopped minting Cents, I would ebay em.

I sold $25 face in canadian cents for about 50 dollars. Loose - NO COPPER cents.

I have about 300 in nickles. and none of these are the 999 fine nickles either. ( I made a foolish face value Craigslist buy a year or so ago, and the guy had rydelled the whole batch )

I need to sell these!

sjlund

Dec 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 3 local banks that have coin counters that do not reject canadian coin, but I'm only 100 miles from the border.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sell them locally on CL. I offer them at about 70% FV in large lots (usually over $100). Since I find so many in rejects, it's really not that much of a loss. Easier for me than dealing with eBay.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have 3 local banks that have coin counters that do not reject canadian coin, but I'm only 100 miles from the border.

The machine doesn't reject them because there's an internal magnet that catches thenm before counting them. So when you put that Canadian quarter in the machine not only are you not getting the coin back but it's not being counted either. At least it's that way with my banks.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
I cross into Canada 3-5 x a year to dump my Canadian coins that I find CRHing and coins that I find while dumping.
While in Canada, I crh there and pick up some Crown Royal at the duty free shop ($20/liter vs $35 in US)

If you live too far from the border you could hang on to them and plan a trip someday to Toronto?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Sell them on Craigslist locally would be your best bet. Another possibility which is more risky, is to find something you want on Craigslist in Canada and see if the Seller will take the coins in payment. If so, then I would take pictures to show the coins for payment, box them up but secure them well so they don't jingle or slide around, then ship them to the Seller with some kind of Delivery confirmation if possible. This would require a lot of trust on you part. Also, maybe you could purchase something from a TNnet member in Canada that is listed in the "Member Classifieds" and ship the coins to them for payment.

Frank

gilgar

Mar 18, 2009
A Little South of Heaven
Detector(s) used
Garrett Treasure Ace 300
Why go through all that trouble? I just spend them with my regular ol' US coins. Might take awhile with hundreds of dollars worth, but if you spend a little everyday, you'll have it knocked out in no time. The quarters, dimes & pennies are pretty much the same size, I've never had anyone even notice.

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hundreds of dollars in Canadian coins :BangHead::BangHead: what should I do with it all ??? any answers are welcome

:coffee2: It depends how far you are from the Canadian border. I save all the Canadian coins I find & take them with me when I go to Canada on vacation. The TD banks in Canada will take rolled Canadian coins & exchange them for Canadian currency for non-account holders. There is a daily limit of $250. in coins they will exchange. You can than use the Canadian currency or exchange it for American money. FYI if you have a account with TD bank in the US, they don't consider that a account with TD bank in Canada. Hope this helps.

HH
Gary

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bury them randomly in beaches and parks that you have already pounded, or roll them up and buy scratch tickets and lotto

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If you don't need the cash then keep it till the us/can dollar are close to par again ( if it does) and the exchange it all. The Canadian dollar dropped to crap again. It's around 90 cents to the US dollar right now. It goes in cycles and that's on the low side. The dollars were close to each other not so long ago. I hate our money now anyway so that's why I go out and dig the old real money (silver/gold) we once had in circulation! (:

SanMartian

Apr 15, 2013
Skunksville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you soak Canadian clad in maple syrup for 20 years it turns into silver.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd just hang onto the Pennies and Silvers if you can. I'd roll the other coins in random mixed rolls of American and Canadian. Then take them to the banks. Also selling lots on a online auction site maybe a good idea. Maybe some coin dealers will buy them too... Keep @ it and HH !! :icon_scratch:

sjlund

Dec 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The machine doesn't reject them because there's an internal magnet that catches thenm before counting them. So when you put that Canadian quarter in the machine not only are you not getting the coin back but it's not being counted either. At least it's that way with my banks.

No, they count them in these machines. I know this because I pick up loose dime bags from 2 of the branches that contain Canadian and other foreign, and dump small amounts (with my Canadian mixed in) at the 3rd branch and the count is correct. This close to Canada, Canadian coins spend like American coins so I don't think banks or customers care.

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree with the earlier post, just mix them with your change and spend. They definitley aren't uncommon to find in Michigan.

73dguard

Mar 2, 2013
South Paris, ME
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD
Nokta Gold King
Teknetics AlphA 2000
Garrett Pointer Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
if in fact they are no longer minted, then save them for your grandchildren for when they are old enough to appreciate the increased value. (or save them for yourself for when their value increases)

OP
OP
tanz 82

tanz 82

Mar 16, 2012
N.mass- S.nh
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol my wife wants to go to Toronto . we live about 5-6 hrs from Toronto , so maybe that's my best option

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread