very bad news

davycoppit

Feb 20, 2007
MN
I am now back at my parents house in the Twin Cites and I went to my first banks today. I went first to TCF to get halves. They had none, so I decided to buy a box of pennies and a box of nickels. She said "that would be fine, but we now charge .10 cents a roll or 5 dollers a box." Not for Halves for PENNIES AND NICKELS. That is 20% on a box of pennies! I said "OH, but I have a checking and savings account here." She said she would ask the manager. So she did and he came over and told me that all TCFs charge for rolls as of change as of March 1st. He said "sorry for the inconvenience." I just said "no problem ill just have to move my money to Wells Fargo." Then I went to two US banks on the way home and they did not have any halves. Well sorry this was long winded, but I was pretty angry about that. I think ill go to another TCF to see if it is the same way. Hope everybody is having better luck than I am.

david

Upvote 0

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe you can try what I do - trade rolls. Except for halves, I have two boxes of cents, plus rolls of nickels, dimes, and quarters that I trade every week with one branch. That way, there is no change in the quantity of coin that they have on hand. If there isn't a change, then they most likely won't charge you. I've been trading rolls since 1974. I've been doing it at this same branch since 1989.

Scott

bobr

May 17, 2006
Iowa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
They charge ten cents a roll up here too, at the banks. I go to a credit union and only have to pay two cents a roll. Still not good, but I only use them for halves. Another credit union here in town says they can't get halves, but other boxes are face value only.

OP
OP
D

davycoppit

Feb 20, 2007
MN
oh sounds like alot of banks are starting to do this. I just got back from another bank and they gave me some boxes at no charge so at least there are some that do not charge.

david

GMan00001

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2006
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TCF tried to charge me to buy just a few rolls about 10 years ago, haven't had an account with them since. Though I was recently considering opening an account just to use them as a dump bank as they all appear to have the coinstar machines which are free to customers. That and they are open later as well as more days of the week due to being grocery stores. With all the branches makes them a semi-convenient dump bank. There has been one branch that seems to carry half dollars (without a charge so far, but the last 35 rolls I got was Feb 26 so maybe there was a change since then).

By the way what part of the Twin Cities (N/S/E/W/Central)? Just curious if you'll be overlapping with me at all?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread