Ever Wonder what I do with all the %40 halves I get? melt em, Refine them to 999

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So I am trying to do the industry a favor...

First by reducing the number of %40 halves making sure they never trouble anyone ever again!

Second Every bag I melt down makes your stash more rare. Maybe they will be collectable someday for something other than silver.

Third. Something far more interesting is made from them....999+ Prospector bars!

Dont worry, I save and resell the 90%...unless its damaged or has holes in it.
Much of this was war nickels and %40 as well as silverware and flatware and old jewelry...all recycled into 999+

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave welcome back it's been a long time since I have seen you post....

OP
OP
jewelerdave

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Dave welcome back it's been a long time since I have seen you post....
Yes I know. And I miss the forums.
Been a heck of a busy last few years with growing the business and then we did our appearance on Gold Rush for the season finally Live show and things have been unstoppable since then.

So its rare that I get much free time, have multiple employees now and looking to expand more.
Good news is anyone who picked up our older stuff it has become quite collectable now!

And for details. I run a gold and silver refinery and process gold and silver into bullion product. Making bars, gold rounds and bars and dealing in all other forms as well. we work with everyone from Bigger mining companies to prospectors to gold shops and coin shops as well as anyone who trades metal.

Full service recycling into better things. Trash to treasure.

more is on my web site. Prospector's Gold & Gems

hardly ever CRH anymore since the local brinks guys started bringing the silver they got at there facility too me to process, Not much point when its culled at the repackaging place. they miss a few but all they have to do is listen for the change in tone and they search.

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hardly ever CRH anymore since the local brinks guys started bringing the silver they got at there facility too me to process, Not much point when its culled at the repackaging place. they miss a few but all they have to do is listen for the change in tone and they search.

Very nice website, services and products offered jewelerdave, if you don't mind my asking, could you give us more details about this quote above?
Thanks

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm with agme, more detail, please. Sounds like a change in Brinks' policy, or the local depot is going wink wink nod nod.

Meanwhile I'll keep your site bookmarked for future reference (and maybe business as well).

Rascal

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to see the old coins melted, I know the one's you melt don't have much numismatic value, I guess I just love old coins.

It won't really make the remaining coins more valuable, mintage numbers are used to determine rarity, it's hard to tell how many have been destroyed.

Nice bars, congrats on your business success. :thumbsup:

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Just wanted to get a post on up this thread to bookmark it so I can refer to the website. Thanks.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
is this legal? the 40 0/0 coins are still legal tender...

The 90% silver coins (Rosie's, washingtons, bens, walking liberty), are still legal tender, but yet they are melted down. So where's the problem melting 40's?

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 90% silver coins (Rosie's, washingtons, bens, walking liberty), are still legal tender, but yet they are melted down. So where's the problem melting 40's?

I was under the impression that its illegal to melt down any US currency. People still do it, but it is technically illegal.

I am always hearing that people are hoarding copper cents until the government changes the melting currency laws.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
I was under the impression that its illegal to melt down any US currency. People still do it, but it is technically illegal.

I am always hearing that people are hoarding copper cents until the government changes the melting currency laws.

It's not illegal. Copper is illegal because there was a melt ban placed in (2008 I think) because to many cents were disappearing from circulation....

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not illegal. Copper is illegal because there was a melt ban placed in (2008 I think) because to many cents were disappearing from circulation....

That is good to know. Thanks

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you can melt all the dimes, quarters, halves and dollars you want. the government placed a melt ban on the pennies and nickels due to their content.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
The copper melt ban is unconstitutional, violate it, loose the case, appeal it and I guarantee you it will make its way to the supreme court.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread