5-gallon water jug, what can it hold

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
A close friend of my 30-yr old son, says he has several (4-5) of these 5-gallon water dispenser type jugs filled with pocket change he has dropped into over the past 15-20 years. I told him I would love to have access to (naturally one at a time however), to check them out for old coins & or silver. He said sure, whenever you want, I trust you. My question to all, has anyone ever had the opportunity to search through a jug of this size, and approx how much in mixed face $value could we be talking about, let alone the possibility of having some silver, 15-20 years back it may have been flowing loosely. I told him that since you trust me so much, that I would dump at the bank those coins not needed, and give him the cash + the face value of the coins I kept.
Has anyone done the same coin (JUG) hunting in the past. ??????

Upvote 0

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:coffee2: If they are plastic bottles & he cuts a hole in it to get the coins out, would he still get the $6 deposit refunded?

HH
Gary

No store has ever denied a customer the ability to return a bottle. Busted, dirty, algae stained, paint, firework damage, competitors brand, the list goes on... a hole in the bottle? No worries, I get paid 10 cents per empty, I just put it in the damaged rack for recycling

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
When I do get the jugs (1 at a time hopefully), I plan to date check ALL coins, then take unwanteds to banks coin machines. I will try to maintain some stats on jugs as I go along.

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
weigh it before you count. then when you have the count, do it by denomination. When done, multiply each denomination by the weight of the coin. Add them all up and it should approximate the total, less wear. That should help prove you were honest. Even if he isn't questioning you, it is nice to prove you gave him full value.

onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Besides coins how many dollar bills do you think can fit in a 2 gallon pretzel container? I knew my Granddaughter was going to Disney land so I started to throw any singles I had into that container and told her before she left she could dive her one hand in there and keep what she could pull out. she never got more then 5 in into it and pulled 176.00 out. Her smile was priceless. there's probably 900 more in there. Well Christmas is 10 months off . 2 gallon jar can hold up to 2G's no penny's or nickels Been saving nickles for 10 years have 25 ammo box's full. Don't ask.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope & plan on this as a year long adventure, just to be able to get the jugs of all those years of accumulation. I want to consider it as a numismatic DNA of a CHR's best dream, or worse nightmare. Since I'm retired, time I have, but not the strength to lift the son * a * . Should be a FUN task, none the less.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Jug log. Once I start getting these 5 or 6 (5-gallon water jugs), I'll keep a LOG going just for this project, just to keep everyone informed of findings. I'm looking forward to this as an adventure & CRH quest for this year 2014.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fill it up with olive oil for easy nickel sorting.

Extra virgin olive oil

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread