State quarters: sets in the making

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
As said before, my wife has been saving all her various state quarters since 1999. Now she finally wants to make complete sets (P&D not necessary) for all the grandkids (12). Total volume is equivalent to 4-three pound coffee cans. Started going through the first stage , sort by year (5states) per year. Completed that gave me about 13-large McDonalds drink cups nearly filled each. As I get down to the individual states, will be sorting & keeping only the best of the best looking coins. Other than the Wisconsin (high & low extra leafs), should I be watching out for any others before releasing 'unwanteds' back to the wild??? I'm only keeping a roll of 40 for each state. So sorry in advance if someone gets my dump of states.

Upvote 0

Bad Wolf

Dec 6, 2012
Carmel-by-the-Sea, California
Detector(s) used
Nokia Simplex+
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there's an extra cactus "leaf" on the reverse of Arizona. Also the bear on the Alaska quarter can have an extra claw on the front-right. I seem to recall another "extra-leaf" variety, but can't recall the state...

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I seem to remember a die crack error on some Delaware quarters that made it look like the horse was spitting. I've got a couple books of P & D quarters that I assembled from circulation myself. Living in NH the P mints were the most common. Here in Tennessee I seem to find more D mints. Been buying proof sets since my parents started a collection for me when I was born so I'm pretty well covered on S mints. I've got every proof set issued from 1955 to now and also bought the state quarter proof sets separately as they came out. .

Last edited:

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there is also a minnesota extra leaf error to look out for, and one state quarter that had an issue with either the reverse/observe 180 degrees rotated

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Arizona has a close to date one too. Where the what ever is close to the 2008

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Finally completed sorting the10-years of state quarters, then the five states within each year. I had an equivalent of 13-large drink (McDonalds) cups filled with the quarters. Had hundreds to go through. Was able to pick out the best of the best within each state, and filled a complete ROLL for each state. Returned into the wild the leftovers. Now to make up a 50-state roll set for each of the 12-grandkids, let their parents buy their choice of folders.

OP
OP
Dozer D

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
you got each mintmark too, right? P&D?

No, it was either a P or D, not both. Wife didn't want to go that far into detail. Anyway, most of the state folders on the market just want to show the Reverse of the coin, no sense for both P&D.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions