Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pennies at Denny's

Mom and I met at Denny's for Dinner and to search a box of cents. My Nephew also came along. Mom/Nephew arrived first, so they already had a table. We broke into the rolls almost the second I sat down.

First find of the night was mine. Got a '35 wheat. As Mom nearly always finds the best coin, I figured we had good box. We got through about a third of the box before dinner arrived. Let me say this Denny's has really GOOD Spaghetti and Meatballs. (Though the service was only so-so.)

I also snagged two 1963 Canadian Pennies. In an unusual twist to the night, Mom was the last one to find a wheat.

Really turned out to be a good box. Every few minutes one of us found something. We'd share the date and pass it around. The worst looking find of the night was a mid-80's Canadian Cent that was so worn, it looked twenty years older than the '35 wheat I found.

The totals: 11 Wheats and 13 Canadian Cents. We also got a fair number of 09 Lincoln Cents. Unlike last time, no dimes in this box.

Cents March 8 2014.jpg

My five wheats and four Canadian cents.

Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Didn't Denny's frown on using their table to sort coins on for 1-2hrs? Did you ask the cashier for silver in the register? Must have gotten some strange stares from customers, unless you were in a far back corner. Great place to meet however, and family involvement.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmmm...never crh'd like that before but it's a different twist...bet the waitperson panicked thinking they'd be tipped with pennies...

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good finds. I don't think I would ever crh in public though, especially in a restaurant while eating food. Glad you and the family had a good time.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds fun, but I'd be a little worried about being followed home by someone looking for the 10 boxes of halves in the trunk. I'm very paranoid about doing this in public. I guess a box of pennies is probably harmless tho.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I've never done any CRHing @ Denny's but this reminds me of a time I met a guy @ Denny's several years ago to buy some junk silver. I think I paid around $10-$11 fv (which I believe was a little less than spot price at the time) for mostly 90% silver halves and quarters - and I think he even bought me lunch too. I kinda remember getting some looks from other people in the restaurant when I was counting stack and stacks of silver on the table lol. And strangely enough this restaurant no longer exists at that location now and I believe that's the exact location of one of my p/u banks now. :)

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
Pennies at Denny's
cause you might find any
got some ag off ol' Lenny
Breakfast was a bargain
only cost me a twenty
left a good tip the waitress, Jenny
Time for the coin jar,
so many wheats... god knows how many

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Searching rolls of coins while eating? My hands are filthy after searching, I couldnt imagine doing those two things at the same time. Not to mention tying up a servers table for much longer than a normal meal would take, servers make money by turning the tables over. This may be the reason why your service was so-so, the server was probably pissed.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Seriously people. If your table is not cleaned properly before you use it there are scarier things to worry about than filthy lucre.
O.P. is sharing a tradition, you don,t it like then move on. I,ll tie up a table till I or management puts an end to it and if you can find a waiter/waitress to complain about my tipping ,well it won,t happen unless they really messed up bad.Worked in the industry to long to worry about more than leaking diapers or massive blood loss in the dining room. Lousy tippers not based on time at table are they? Sorry javert. Back to closet searching for me.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Searching rolls of coins while eating? My hands are filthy after searching, I couldnt imagine doing those two things at the same time. Not to mention tying up a servers table for much longer than a normal meal would take, servers make money by turning the tables over. This is the reason why your service was so-so, the server was probably pissed.

1 box searched by 4 people would hardly take that long. That's 12.5 rolls per person. Literally all of 15 minutes. Maybe. If you had a magnifying glass to check every coin for double dies. Probably less time than most people take to meet somewhere and "discuss business." Knowing how Denny's is, they probably had it searched and rerolled before their meal arrived. And most people eat with a fork, not their hands, so I'm sure he managed to not get a disease from the dirty pennies. On a final note, when was the last time you got 5-star service at Denny's? It's not a Gordon Ramsay establishment. And don't assume he tips like you: maybe they left a good tip in spite of the crappy service. Give the guy a break and stop being so damn critical. He's just doing what we all do.

Sent from my Obama phone

iontyre

Mar 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
15 minutes for 12.5 rolls!!! Wow, you must be fast. I take about 5 minutes per roll!!! Too many things to look for, and I need to use a magnifier since my 55 year old eyes can't even read a date on a cent without aid...

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1 box searched by 4 people would hardly take that long. That's 12.5 rolls per person. Literally all of 15 minutes. Maybe. If you had a magnifying glass to check every coin for double dies. Probably less time than most people take to meet somewhere and "discuss business." Knowing how Denny's is, they probably had it searched and rerolled before their meal arrived. And most people eat with a fork, not their hands, so I'm sure he managed to not get a disease from the dirty pennies. On a final note, when was the last time you got 5-star service at Denny's? It's not a Gordon Ramsay establishment. And don't assume he tips like you: maybe they left a good tip in spite of the crappy service. Give the guy a break and stop being so damn critical. He's just doing what we all do.

Sent from my Obama phone

you eat your bread, chicken wings, mozzarella sticks etc etc etc with a fork? how very civil of you! "and dont assume he tips like you." Now who is doing the assuming? "He's just doing what we all do." So how many posts have you seen about CRH in the middle of a restaurant? This is the first one I can ever remember. I'll be critical of whoever I want to be, that's part of posting on the internet. Not everyone is going to agree on everything. I remember a post about someone wanting to CRH on a plane and from what I can recall most commented something to the effect of "there is a time and a place." If it took 15 minutes, no big deal. If they sat there an extra hour CRH I have an issue with that. The same issue I have with people who sit there reading a paper, playing cards/board game, or doing work on their computer while others are waiting to take a seat.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
you eat your bread, chicken wings, mozzarella sticks etc etc etc with a fork? how very civil of you! "and dont assume he tips like you." Now who is doing the assuming? "He's just doing what we all do." So how many posts have you seen about CRH in the middle of a restaurant? This is the first one I can ever remember. I'll be critical of whoever I want to be, that's part of posting on the internet. Not everyone is going to agree on everything. I remember a post about someone wanting to CRH on a plane and from what I can recall most commented something to the effect of "there is a time and a place." If it took 15 minutes, no big deal. If they sat there an extra hour CRH I have an issue with that. The same issue I have with people who sit there reading a paper, playing cards/board game, or doing work on their computer while others are waiting to take a seat.

20120716183414!5x1_Live_Free_or_Die_%288%29.jpg

If you said this in the resturaunt to the OP, he would probably just look at you and say: I AM THE ONE WHO ROLLS.

There's only one person willing to CRH a box of cents at Denny's.

OP
OP
Mzjavert

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually we've been meeting at Restaurants for close to two years and CRH. We use the menu to put the cents on to sort. Until a couple of months ago we met at a small family owned place. But that place was sold and is now out of business. We've only had one waiter give us any problems. So after we ate we moved onto Dairy Queen for desert and to finish the box.

We actually get a fair number of polite questions and have been able to share the hobby with many nice people.

Oh, and every restaurant we've gone to have had bathrooms where we can wash our hands before eatting.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually we've been meeting at Restaurants for close to two years and CRH. We use the menu to put the cents on to sort. Until a couple of months ago we met at a small family owned place. But that place was sold and is now out of business. We've only had one waiter give us any problems. So after we ate we moved onto Dairy Queen for desert and to finish the box.

We actually get a fair number of polite questions and have been able to share the hobby with many nice people.

Oh, and every restaurant we've gone to have had bathrooms where we can wash our hands before eatting.

Sounds pretty harmless. Thanks for clarifying. For a minute there, we all thought you were just camping out at the restaurant all night, preventing the waitstaff from making a living, while licking that dirty penny residue off your fingers along with the BBQ sauce from Denny's award-winning chicken wings. I guess we were all wrong.

OP
OP
Mzjavert

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I tip very well.

At our former regular meeting spot, our "regular" waitress' husband had a Kennedy half dated the year he was born that he always carried with him as a Good Luck Piece. Each of the kids also had a Kennedy Half (from Granddad) from the year of their birth. But she didn't have one. So I brought her two...a P and D mint. Really made her day.

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you said this in the resturaunt to the OP, he would probably just look at you and say: I AM THE ONE WHO ROLLS.

There's only one person willing to CRH a box of cents at Denny's.

Lol had to pull a breaking bad pic huh lol

OP
OP
Mzjavert

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
We met again this last Saturday and split a new box of Cents. No Nephew this time.

The box started out on a promising note as we each found a wheat in our first roll. I got a 1952, which was one I needed. Then the wheats stalled and stalled and stalled. Then Mom found a 1944 King George VI Canadian Penny. That was her THIRD King George VI in a week. She had found a '44 and '47 in one roll earlier that week. This one had some serious damage, but it was still the best coin of the box we searched.

I finally found a second wheat, a '44...the most common date we find. We snagged only 3 wheats out of this box, but 8 Canadian Pennies. With the exception of the King George VI, it was our worst box in probably a year. But considering we found keepers, it wasn't a total bust.

As far as dinner, I had the Spaghetti and Mom had the fish platter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread