Questions on Ike dollars and Bi-centennial halves?

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do circulated Bi-centennial halves have any value besides face value? I'm sitting on $110 of them and if I'm not going to get anything out of them why would I hold on to them? Do circulated Ike dollars carry any value besides face value? Why is it so hard to find them? If collectors are holding them, will that make their value increase? May be dumb questions but I don't have any coin shops around me and I'm new to most of this.....thanks.

Upvote 0

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1st read the begginers thread in the stickies section- the whole thing-
2nd bicentennial halves arent worth keeping, release them back into the wild
3rd Ikes are tough to come by and in most areas you can get a small premium on CL or other classifieds- I usually get $1.25 each but like you said finding them is tough, if ya have some try craigslist
HH

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

tyler2277

Mar 3, 2014
Chicago suburbs
Primary Interest:
Other
I did have some luck selling bicentennial halfs. I sold the first group if 50 for a buck a piece. After that, nothing. I put them up on Craigslist, you could try that.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
At first I misread your post, I thought I read it that u were saying u had some unc '76 halves and I was going to say yes they have a little numis value but if they're circulated they likely don't any value over face unless they're in really nice AU cond. I was at my local coin shop recently and he is willing to pay a little over fv for some dates of circulated clad halves but they have to be in really nice XF+/AU condition. I also sold him 100 circulated clad Ikes I had for a small $5 profit. Im usually surprised at how much people are willing to pay for circulated clad Ikes on ebay. But if you're not an ebay seller, then u could try a CL ad for your Ikes like russell & tyler said and see what kind of response u get. I've sold a few clad Ikes on CL myself in the past but never more than a 10% profit. But u might have better luck selling them than I have.

Good luck and HH!

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My LCS buys Ikes at 1.05 a pop... but thats atleast a half hour away, so is it worth it in relation to gas/time spent? nope... lol

Ikes are tough to find, because they havent been minted in 25 years! lol

And bicentennials, you might be able to find suckers, but for the most part, you are just holding onto face value coins.

HH

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My LCS buys Ikes at 1.05 a pop... but thats atleast a half hour away, so is it worth it in relation to gas/time spent? nope... lol

Ikes are tough to find, because they havent been minted in 25 years! lol

And bicentennials, you might be able to find suckers, but for the most part, you are just holding onto face value coins.

HH
Actually ikes were minted 36 years ago in 1978. :-)

OP
OP
barneyb71

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info. I'm going to dump the halves tomorrow. I did pick up a roll of Ike's the other day, nothing good but I'll keep them for now. I'm sure I'll be asking some more stupid questions down the road. Knew someone that was going to count the pennies in their kids piggy bank and take them to the bank. Told them to put it in a bag, I'll count it and pay them. $6 in pennies some dimes n nickels and a 1945 P nickel. Find of the day for me.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I put up an add on Clist, I recently had 17 rolls of beautiful uncirculated bicentennial quarters, best offer over face.

Not a single bite, so I ran 'em through the counter.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread