Pulled from same Brinks box... are they both CUDs?

323GTX

Jan 15, 2013
Columbus, OH & Beijing, PRC
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Both of these came from the same box last week. I’m still learning about errors, and don’t know how to properly classify these. I’m fairly sure the 1982 is a CUD, but the 1942-S I’m not so sure. Any help would be appreciated.

1 FRONT.JPG

2 BACK.JPG

DSCN6152.JPG

DSCN6154.JPG

Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, that '82 looks amazing. I've never seen one before that looked that severe, and the reverse is interesting too. Id like to know what u can find out about that one. Im sure others here can tell u a lot more about it than I can. It looks like it was attacked by the copper or zinc blob. I bet a coin like that would sell for some decent money on ebay. I'm not usually too much interested in error coins (depending on the type of coin error) but that coin looks really cool. Great find!

Last edited:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really like that 1982 cud, I am no expert but I am sure an expert will be in to identify the coins very shortly.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I gotta question. Is the 82 copper or zinc? If it's zinc, it could be the copper plating separating from the zinc. The 42; that might be really interesting!

OP
OP

323GTX

Jan 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I gotta question. Is the 82 copper or zinc? If it's zinc, it could be the copper plating separating from the zinc. The 42; that might be really interesting!

I'm not sure if the '82 is copper or zinc. I'll have to weigh it once I get a little scale. There are missing letters on the reverse exactly opposite the "blob" on the obverse, which I believe is a signature hallmark of a "CUD".

Hope you are right about the '42. That one really has me stumped.

I'd really like to know the exact terminology to use for describing these coins before listing them on the 'bay.

Thanks!

Styfflin

Jan 8, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are pretty awesome! I think I pulled my first CUD this morning.

Zukovsky

Oct 26, 2013
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace-350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find!!! I've never seen one that has that much cud!

CoinHuntingDrew

Dec 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro & Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
'82 looks like grease+cud.
Now the '42 S confuses me. It's been cleaned, so automatically it's not really worth anything but face value and maybe a little added extra as a filler coin.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enamel7 would know. He is the expert in cents.
apush

OP
OP

323GTX

Jan 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Enamel7 would know. He is the expert in cents.
apush

Thanks, apush... I did find two '82 CUDs very similar to mine on a website specialized in such errors. They have a classification numbering system, and the examples that looked like mine were CU-1c-1982-01c(LD) and CU-1c-1982-01d(LD).

Still at a complete loss as to what classify the issues with the 1942-s. Cleaned or not, there is still a significant anomaly along the rim and poor Abe is practically decapitated. Should still command some premium, no?

Hopefully Enamel7 or another experienced eye can weigh in. Would really appreciate it!

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 1982 is most definately a CUD. The weak area on the reverse corresponding to the cud on the obverse is a signature characteristic of a cud as the extra metal being pushed into the crevice in the die would flow away from the area opposite from the broken die. In uncirculated condition, I feel that would be worth about $300 to $500 to the right collector. Now yours is not in uncirculated condition. I say that it is in the lower AU/ high EF with a value of about $100.

Here is some info.

http://www.early-copper.com/coinpics/LC-82-SD-4.jpg

Large Cents

OP
OP

323GTX

Jan 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The 1982 is most definately a CUD. The weak area on the reverse corresponding to the cud on the obverse is a signature characteristic of a cud as the extra metal being pushed into the crevice in the die would flow away from the area opposite from the broken die. In uncirculated condition, I feel that would be worth about $300 to $500 to the right collector. Now yours is not in uncirculated condition. I say that it is in the lower AU/ high EF with a value of about $100.

Here is some info.

http://www.early-copper.com/coinpics/LC-82-SD-4.jpg

Large Cents

Thanks, TypeCoin! I thought the 1982 would be worth a few bucks, but not that much!

Any thoughts on the 1942-S? That one has me absolutely stumped. That "thing" at 10:00 looks like a little piece of another rim running parallel within the actual rim, causing a big crack. Is there some technical nerdy numismatic term for this?

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That 82 is a beaut! I would like to see a close-up of the 42. It almost looks like a buildup of metal from a lam peel.

OP
OP

323GTX

Jan 15, 2013
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That 82 is a beaut! I would like to see a close-up of the 42. It almost looks like a buildup of metal from a lam peel.

Enamel7,
Thanks for the input!
I recently purchased a new USB "microscope", and am just now figuring out how to use it. I've taken a few close-ups of the '42. Hope they are clear enough to figure out what's going on with it. Please let me know if you need shots of the reverse (although it doesn't seem like there is anything special with the reverse).
Thanks again!

Picture 013.jpg Picture 012.jpg

Picture 001.jpg Picture 009.jpg

Picture 004.jpg Picture 008.jpg

3 DO-MAIN.JPG

TypeCoin971793

Oct 7, 2013
Here or There or Anywhere
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those two pictures lead me to believe that the 1942 S is also a cud. Only a small piece has broken away, but the die is in the process of deteriorating even further, as evidenced by the crack almost bisecting the coin. Also an impressive find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread