Upvote 0

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, that's a very impressive find! That's a beauty! :thumbsup:

I was just checking and I think if its AU that's about a $150-$200 coin, maybe more! That's an amazing fiind!

Last edited:

Hunter612

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an awesome find! Most of the buffalo nickels I find from the 30's don't even have full horns!

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
That seated half you found earlier this year was a great find but finding a 1913 D Type 2 buffalo in that condition is really amazing. :occasion14:

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Very excellent find. Hope I look that good when I'm 101-years old. Great condition.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man, such an awesome find Yinzi50!! That is sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet. I would love to find such a fine specimen as yours in a nickel box! This year I've found 1 roll of war nickels (included is a 1944D phillipines 20 peso silver) and about 3/4 of a tube of buffalo nickels, and a 1902 V nickel but never have I found a buffalo nickel in such as great shape as yours, let alone the fact that yours is a 1913D T1 Buffalo nickel, that makes it even better.
Thanks for sharing, I love it!
HH
Buff
I found it today in a box. So I dug out my Photograde book It looks exactly like the AU sample by the two pictures in the book, alas. HH

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thats a sweet Buff- congrats

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

OP
OP
Yinzi50

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for replying! When I order nickels I always order 10 boxes. I have
6 more boxes from this batch, now I am looking forward to searching the
rest.

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great, sweet, excellent, amazing, wonderful, impressive, rare, and all the other things they said!! I don't remember seeing a buffalo nickel this nice in my life time; and I'm 71!!!

mountainman 2

Bronze Member
Aug 9, 2006
Extreme Northern NJ
Detector(s) used
whites classic sl,whites surfmaster,garrett ATX,minelab vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy cow Yinzi, what an incredible find! That has to be the most valuable nickel i've seen found on here. A 1913-D Type 2 in that condition is worth hundreds! WTG!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is awesome, I love searching nickels. I am always afraid to order large amounts in fear of getting a batch of all solid 2013 (and soon to be 2014) boxes..
good luck, please post the final results of all 10 boxes!!
Thanks for replying! When I order nickels I always order 10 boxes. I have 6 more boxes from this batch, now I am looking forward to searching the rest.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find!

Thanks for replying! When I order nickels I always order 10 boxes. I have
6 more boxes from this batch, now I am looking forward to searching the
rest.

Ouch! How long does it take you to go through all of that?

OP
OP
Yinzi50

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find! Ouch! How long does it take you to go through all of that?
It takes me about 20-25 min to go through a box of nickels.

I use a very sharp knife (Stanley) to cut about 10 rolls at a time;
then I grab one roll and peal off the wrapper and place the whole undisturbed roll on my right hand;
I use my left index finger to knock off the coins from my right hand on the table with my eye screening the coin;
when I see an older reverse or obverse I stop to examine further. I don't need to see the whole coin but just a third or 50% the coin would be enough to catch the older coins;
War nickel, buffalo, and foreign coins are unique so they can be easily separated;
After 10 rolls, I transfer coins on the table to a canvas bag and repeat another circle.

The knife has to be very sharp in order to cut through the paper wrapper quickly. In six years, I have cut my fingers twice:unhappysmiley:.
Initially it took me about 40 min to finish a box; Once getting used to the deeper strike of the reverse and obverse of early nickels I can do it much faster.
1938 has a unique strike of reverse and obverse;
1939-1964 have another type of deeper strike; The mintmark position on the reverse is another a giveaway.
1965 and after have the shallow type of strike.

My method is kind of intense so I normally don't do more than two boxes of nickels at a time.
I use ample lights (equivalent of 500w) to ease on my eyes.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread