The odds were 1 in 2,500 and I won!

DustDevilMarc

Feb 12, 2014
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went through my first box of dimes this week. The dimes were in those plastic, shrink-wrap, see-through holders. I did a quick scan of all fifty rolls and did not see any silver. So, over the next three nights - I was not in a hurry because I did not see any silver - I opened the roles for a closer inspection. Eventually, I did find one 1960-D Roosevelt dime. A near skunk, but I beat the odds. Has anyone found a smaller prize than this in a whole box of coins?

Dime1.JPG Dime2.JPG

Upvote 0

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smaller as in 0? Ummm ya try several several several boxes with NO ag

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

OP
OP
DustDevilMarc

DustDevilMarc

Feb 12, 2014
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I should ask who has had the greatest skunk streak. So far mine is four boxes - but I have only gone through seven boxes - 6 of halves and one dime box.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Am Russell holds the records for longest skunk streaks by far... $500 half dollar boxes...

90+ streak with nothing last year, and hes currently 50-60+?

Your talking to the king skunk! lol... poor guy

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Am Russell holds the records for longest skunk streaks by far... $500 half dollar boxes...

90+ streak with nothing last year, and hes currently 50-60+?

Your talking to the king skunk! lol... poor guy

Info I believe there was a longer streak than mine-at least that's what I was told, it was over 100 some guy in az if I remember correctly, my skunkiest streak was 92 and currently im on a 61skunker

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I Am Russell holds the records for longest skunk streaks by far... $500 half dollar boxes... 90+ streak with nothing last year, and hes currently 50-60+? Your talking to the king skunk! lol... poor guy
Serious question from a guy who tried doing halves a couple years ago and found nothing... Why do you guys keep doing it ? This year makes 50 years since there were any Silver coins made for general circulation. I can remember pulling all the Silver coins out of rolls in 1965 with my mom. Clearly it's not ALL gone and maybe never will be but the skunk stats I'm seeing certainly show that you guys are wasting ALOT of time, gas money driving around, etc. for very little profit. Driving up & down the road collecting Aluminum cans would make more sense at this point. So what makes you keep going ? The ONE guy in a Blue moon who makes a freak score or what ?

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Serious question from a guy who tried doing halves a couple years ago and found nothing... Why do you guys keep doing it ? This year makes 50 years since there were any Silver coins made for general circulation. I can remember pulling all the Silver coins out of rolls in 1965 with my mom. Clearly it's not ALL gone and maybe never will be but the skunk stats I'm seeing certainly show that you guys are wasting ALOT of time, gas money driving around, etc. for very little profit. Driving up & down the road collecting Aluminum cans would make more sense at this point. So what makes you keep going ? The ONE guy in a Blue moon who makes a freak score or what ?

The thrill of the hunt.

On topic: my longest dime skunk streak was seven boxes. My longest half skunk streak was 32 boxes last year.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I would not have kept up with a streak like that... no way...

I have a certain quota of silver in my mind for what I need every week, and if it comes to the point where after a couple weeks I cant maintain that... ill really slow it down or stop.

Getting close to that point, but not quite yet

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Its the hobby/hunt for me- if I wouldnt have found this site and seen all the great finds im sure I wouldve stoped LONG ago- but I like taking a few hours to just relax and open the rolls plus 1 day I hope to find THE collection dump- I dont waste all the much on gas(now that im NOT doing 20+ boxes of dimes a week) and 10 boxes is only a 1.5hr time or so now that im not date searching thats why I continue to push through all the stinky skunks-

Plus i am sporadically finding teller tray scores so im adding to the stack-

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the same results that I got out of my last 7 dime boxes, way to go!

mark1982

Mar 24, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Like others said the thrill of the hunt. However some of us have a pretty steady flow of silver. I have search 22 boxes of dimes so far in 2014 and been skunked on 3. Halves I think I may have had 4 skunks out of 42 boxes this year. Area has a lot to do with it. Aluminum cans? Nah it would take me 430 or so aluminum cans to equal 1 ounce of silver value. Then going to a place to sit there for 5 hours to cash them in all while getting my hands covered in filth of sticky soda and beer cans with cigaret buts and dip spit in them. Have fun

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Info I believe there was a longer streak than mine-at least that's what I was told, it was over 100 some guy in az if I remember correctly, my skunkiest streak was 92 and currently im on a 61skunker ------------------------------------- just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Yes, Jrf30, I haven't seen him post in sometime now, actually a very long time, he was well over a 100 if I remember correctly and stopped searching except to pick a box every now and then to see if anything changed, last I remember he still had found no Silver in halves. HH, Maverick.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
I would not have kept up with a streak like that... no way...

I have a certain quota of silver in my mind for what I need every week, and if it comes to the point where after a couple weeks I cant maintain that... ill really slow it down or stop.

Getting close to that point, but not quite yet

Agreed

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other

I'm making money, so why should I stop? I'll make over 5k from CRH alone this year. And should definitely be more. That's a years tuition haha.

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I had 2 local banks I could pick up at and could dump at the building where I work. Takes very little time to search and I would find silver almost every week. Found hundreds and hundreds of silver halves over about a year and a half. Stopped about 3 months ago because I just lost the passion, but I have a large stack of silver in the safe from a really fun 18 months.

Mtldealer

May 8, 2012
District 12, SouthWest
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all about the hunt. Who needs to goto Alaska for gold mining when we can silver mine in our banks. If you don't enjoy the hunt and the "ping" you'll give up soon enough.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread