First buffalo nickle! Lets share stories

Hunterhound

Jan 11, 2014
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First buffalo nickle! Let's share stories

So I found my first buffalo nickle this past weekend. I can see the Indian head fairly good but the writing is all worn off the obverse of the coin so I don't have a date. The buffalo and writing is in good condition on the reverse. This is my oldest coin to date!

I know most of you guys who have been at this for a while may not even consider buffalos a good find any longer but I figured I'd see if you guys had any good stories about finding your first buffalo you'd be willing to share.

Upvote 0

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though its value aint much even a dateless buff is a nice find imo

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

tyler2277

Mar 3, 2014
Chicago suburbs
Primary Interest:
Other
I haven't found one yet, but would be very happy if I did. I've found an Indian head penny, would you say finding a buffalo is about the same odds or do they show up often? I've only done about $150 in nickels so far.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
So I found my first buffalo nickle this past weekend. I can see the Indian head fairly good but the writing is all worn off the obverse of the coin so I don't have a date. The buffalo and writing is in good condition on the reverse. This is my oldest coin to date!

I know most of you guys who have been at this for a while may not even consider buffalos a good find any longer but I figured I'd see if you guys had any good stories about finding your first buffalo you'd be willing to share.

Buy some Nic-a-Date or soak it in a salt and vinegar mixture to try and make the date visible.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on your first buffalo. Well Yinzi50 just recently found the best buffalo nickel I ever remember seeing posted here - a key date 1913D type 2 in amazing condition. I found two 1913(P) type 1's last year - both full dates in pretty nice condition which are my best buffalo finds. But I don't really remember my first buffalo find. But they're always nice to find.

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just last week, but let me start it this way. I was just finishing up a roll of dimes and on the last roll, in the last 5 I found my first mercury. Knowing I had some nickel rolls, I thought now I need to find a Buffalo.....very first roll was one. Couldn't read the date but I was happy with the find. I don't do a lot of rolls either so I'll take any kind of find.

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
Just last week, but let me start it this way. I was just finishing up a roll of dimes and on the last roll, in the last 5 I found my first mercury. Knowing I had some nickel rolls, I thought now I need to find a Buffalo.....very first roll was one. Couldn't read the date but I was happy with the find. I don't do a lot of rolls either so I'll take any kind of find.

I used to just do pennies but then one time I got one roll of nickels and it had a buff! 1919 which had me stoked! Now I've done about 150 rolls and haven't found another since :/

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't found one yet, but would be very happy if I did. I've found an Indian head penny, would you say finding a buffalo is about the same odds or do they show up often? I've only done about $150 in nickels so far.

From what ive seen here Indian heads are a lot more rarer than buffs CRH

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found two nice buffs in rolls: an '18D in VG and a key date '21S in F. Both had nice, sharp dates. There are some out there. That '13D Ty2 that was found a few days ago was more valuable tho. That was an amazing find from a roll!

ktb615

Nov 4, 2013
Found my first and only in the only box I've ever searched. It was in the second to last roll. All of the other rolls were skunks on all counts. It was dateless, but I was super excited to find it at the end.

Attachments

• image-3184766247.jpg
    image-3184766247.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 62

jasonscoins

Apr 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first buff actually came from a vending machine at my work. I bought a candy bar, and out popped a buffalo in the change. So, I bought two more candy bars and got two more! Ended up buying like five candy bars, but didn't get any more. So, I settled for three buffs and a serious sugar high.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a PCGS MS-66 '38D Buffalo in my stocking for Christmas one year. Buffalos are one of my favorite coins, so that was nice. I used to hunt several boxes of nickels/week for buffs and war nickels.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

CoinHuntingDrew

Dec 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT pro & Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been CRHing at least over 10,000$ a year since 2004.
I did all CWR until last year, and I only found 1 buff and nothing else but common wheats and the occasional silver nickel in those hand wrapped (did pennies and nickels only practically)
Last year I got into ordering boxes.
My total last year was shocking:

1 v nickel, first ever in circ.
over 20 buff's, I think like maybe 2 were dateless...shocked me on that.
1 indian
and tons and tons of wheats, so many different US coins i'd never had found in CWR's, such as UNC's from the 40's including a 1948 S with nearly full steps.

OP
OP
H

Hunterhound

Jan 11, 2014
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow barney! That's amazing. I'm still looking for my first mercury but I haven't done a whole lot of boxes/rolls of dimes yet. Hopefully there's one in my future.

OP
OP
H

Hunterhound

Jan 11, 2014
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My first buff actually came from a vending machine at my work. I bought a candy bar, and out popped a buffalo in the change. So, I bought two more candy bars and got two more! Ended up buying like five candy bars, but didn't get any more. So, I settled for three buffs and a serious sugar high.

Love the story! And congrats on the finds.

OP
OP
H

Hunterhound

Jan 11, 2014
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been CRHing at least over 10,000$ a year since 2004.
I did all CWR until last year, and I only found 1 buff and nothing else but common wheats and the occasional silver nickel in those hand wrapped (did pennies and nickels only practically)
Last year I got into ordering boxes.
My total last year was shocking:

1 v nickel, first ever in circ.
over 20 buff's, I think like maybe 2 were dateless...shocked me on that.
1 indian
and tons and tons of wheats, so many different US coins i'd never had found in CWR's, such as UNC's from the 40's including a 1948 S with nearly full steps.

Nice. I'm glad you found a stream that yielded better results. After several bank account openings and several attempts through the different banks, I finally found one that is willing to order from the Fed for me on a weekly basis. Most of the other banks are so commercialized, they keep all the coin internal to their system. One of the small banks gets their rolls from Brinks and I'm worried about those rolls based on other threads in this forum indicating they may be pulling rare coins during processing. Hopefully this new stream will prove useful for me. 1K in halves are due to arrive next Tuesday with my name on it. Fingers crossed.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20+ boxes in and I haven't found my first CRH buffalo.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
If you want to share stories about finding first buff, then I must go back to the early 1960's. Back then buffs were so plentiful in the wild that my dad & I were being very selective on those we were keeping. We were sorting as: date or no date. Only the best of the dated were put in folders, of the No Date we applied the acid Nick-a-Date. I know for a fact that I might have several hundreds buffs in boxes still to be date checked or acid dipped. I could probably fill a few folders if I wanted. If I only knew then, what I know now about CRH & AG.

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The boy and I found our first buffalo last April.We were bank hopping buying CWR's,searching ,dumping and buying more.At one point we had a $100.00 of nickels and I believe it was seven rolls that were stacked with goodies.I posted these finds here last April-Part Time Roll Hunter.

120 buffalo's

image_zps23b00398.jpg

Our first V nickel ( 9 )

image_zps3e86ec52.jpg

24 War nickels

image_zpsc2c890c6.jpg

110 30's,40's,and 50's.

image_zpse4525e11.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread