Teller Tray Find!!

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Today dropped off my 4 boxes of checked over 50 cent coins and the teller said I hope you like 20's as we are all out any bigger bills. What could I say but OK no problem. So she counts out 2 thousand dollars worth of 20's and I try to fold them into my pocket but that isn't looking good, so I decide to drive across the street to the small bank that never has any halves, and I have been there a bunch of times. I decided to see if they could trade out the 20's for big bills. The teller said no problem, as she is trading bills I ask if there are any halves, she said she had 1, but she thinks the other teller had some. She asks down the line to see if she had any halves and she said yea, 10 dollars worth, ya want them? Sure I said, so she grabs them out of her drawer and walks down to the place I was and I see the glint of silver 10 feet away. Keeping a straight face and handing her the 10 dollar bill it looked like every one was silver. I finish the bill transaction and head for the car. Ended up with 17 1964, 1 1954 Ben, 2 1966 and a couple of clad. Just goes to show never give up asking, this is the very first time that bank has ever had a half that I was able to get, and man did I get some good ones.

Upvote 0

BRChiver

Oct 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, better than my last 40 boxes! Good job.
HH!
BRChiver

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score!!!

I havent had much luck with 90% teller trays... maybe only 4-5 total, and I think they were all 64's.

HH

tyler2277

Mar 3, 2014
Chicago suburbs
Primary Interest:
Other
All my silver halves came from a bank that never has more then $20 in halves, I usually go in every two days just to check because I got 8 40% one day and 2 40% another day from teller trays. It's a bank that's right by my house anyways. That's an awesome score though, just gotta keep askin!

tyler2277

Mar 3, 2014
Chicago suburbs
Primary Interest:
Other
All my silver halves came from a bank that never has more then $20 in halves, I usually go in every two days just to check because I got 8 40% one day and 2 40% another day from teller trays. It's a bank that's right by my house anyways. That's an awesome score though, just gotta keep askin!

OP
OP
W

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Where i live only has about 8 banks or credit unions and since I dump all my coins with Chase I never go in and ask for halves, I think it would look odd since I give them the halves to be asking for them. But every week for the most part I'm in the places here asking. Some of the tellers know I'm there for the halves and occasionally will save them for me, normally all clad, but I never stop asking. Sometimes just like yesterday, you get a couple of keepers and it makes your day.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where i live only has about 8 banks or credit unions and since I dump all my coins with Chase I never go in and ask for halves, I think it would look odd since I give them the halves to be asking for them. But every week for the most part I'm in the places here asking. Some of the tellers know I'm there for the halves and occasionally will save them for me, normally all clad, but I never stop asking. Sometimes just like yesterday, you get a couple of keepers and it makes your day.

You could be missing the motherload!

Why not ask them when they give you your cash back and ask if theres anything else they could do? My dump banks never question me about doing that... ive made some decent scores too...

Its only your perception that makes it odd... most people cant even think back 5 minutes ago, especially the young people working at banks... they prolly wont even remember you brought in halves a few min ago.

EDIT: If you are thinking that much about it, answer me this... Why do YOU think, THEY THINK you always come in with half dollars and deposit them?

Last edited:
OP
OP
W

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2
Ya know I think your right, they do know I hunt for certain years, but always take the bags without any problems. I think I will try to see if they too may have some coins I can get. You opened my eyes!! I have plenty of money in Chase and I am a customer so they sure can't look at me like I don't belong there.

You could be missing the motherload! Why not ask them when they give you your cash back and ask if theres anything else they could do? My dump banks never question me about doing that... ive made some decent scores too... Its only your perception that makes it odd... most people cant even think back 5 minutes ago, especially the young people working at banks... they prolly wont even remember you brought in halves a few min ago. EDIT: If you are thinking that much about it, answer me this... Why do YOU think, THEY THINK you always come in with half dollars and deposit them?

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just act like your doing them a favor by taking them off their hands, so they dont have to count them every night! :)

HH

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my drop banks is a bank I do deposits at for work. Even though I don't have an account they let things slid by and know what I look for. I walk up to a teller today and the other teller puts a coin up on the counter. I say, is that for me? Her reply, for 50 cents it's yours.....I go no problem and then I look in her tray and tell her to hand me the other silver one and I'll give you a dollar. 2 40% for FV, I'll take that everyday of the week!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread