When selling AG: by the ounce, or by the coin

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sooner or later we are all going to sell some / all of our stacked silver. My question to those who have sold AG in the past, is it 1)better to sell the bulk by the ounce, say 10-ounces @ 90% coin AG composite @ current melt price; or. 2) sell the coins on an individual basis, as dime = .07234 oz of AG @ # of coins @ current melt price. Which did you find better ?
Since we're on the subject of coin weight, and not having a 0.00 gram scale, how much would a typical badly worn Merc weigh vs a recent 1964 Rosie. If a big difference, then I say sell by the COIN,

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd rather buy by the weight and sell by the coin...for obvious reasons.

I can't answer your dime weight question, but I have a really worn Walker that weighs 11.1g as opposed to the 12.5g it should weigh.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When dealing with US 90% 40% 35% majority of people sell by X times FV
Just easier than trying to figure out the weight

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only sold 40%ers... and I sell them by the roll.

EDIT: I have not had much problems selling rolls at spot price on CL. Infact I now have people who I sold too in the past, txting me asking if I have any to sell! lol

Last edited:

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
I too have only sold halves (40%'ers), by FV... and a few dozen '67-68 silver Canadian dimes FV (all sold at 50% silver content).

My dealer weighs certain coins bought by volume, especially mercury dimes.

hunts with son

Sep 10, 2013
Monroe County, PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I have recently sold 4 half dollars. Walking liberty 42 ($ 11.79) and 45 ($10.50) a franklin 51 s ($8.50) and a 64 Kennedy ($9.60) on eBay. Shipping was extra and was actual cost.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
I sell 40% halves by the roll, 90% stuff by the f.v. If there is a ridiculous amount of stuff, by the weight.

lespaul337

Jan 17, 2014
Lake Charles
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Waterproof Pro Pointer, MineLab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I look up recently sold comparable items on ebay and that is my asking price.. Always better to buy by the ounce and sell by the coin in my experience.

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sooner or later we are all going to sell some / all of our stacked silver. My question to those who have sold AG in the past, is it 1)better to sell the bulk by the ounce, say 10-ounces @ 90% coin AG composite @ current melt price; or. 2) sell the coins on an individual basis, as dime = .07234 oz of AG @ # of coins @ current melt price. Which did you find better ?
Since we're on the subject of coin weight, and not having a 0.00 gram scale, how much would a typical badly worn Merc weigh vs a recent 1964 Rosie. If a big difference, then I say sell by the COIN,

:coffee2: I've only sold silver 1 time. I sold 200 40%s @FV (per coin). I wouldn't try to sell it by the ounce.

HH
Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread