ForumRunner_20140321_191200.png

Upvote 0

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
For this many to be showing up is it possible the mint is releasing them for circulation ? Guys here finding multiples dosn't seem like collectors paying the premium and then dumping them. Why would they do that ?

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Dealers buy the bags and rolls and pull out the best ones to either submit to PCGS or other grading companies. They will sell the next best as raw coins for a small profit usually in a P & D set them dump the lower grades at face value. You do this long enough you will get boxes that can have 30 or 40 NIFC in them.

Maine_Jim

iontyre

Mar 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hoping I'll see a few of the earlier NIFC dates in the box of halves I ordered this week... are the 2002 - 2011 ones showing up with the same frequency as the 2014's?

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hoping I'll see a few of the earlier NIFC dates in the box of halves I ordered this week... are the 2002 - 2011 ones showing up with the same frequency as the 2014's?

Depends on your area- I havent seen any 2014 yet havent even seen 2013 yet in my area (unless they are being pulled by the other hunters in my area)

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

trappered

Greenie
Mar 27, 2013
nw missouri
Detector(s) used
gti 1500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
i have asked banks for them they alway tell me they do not have any,almost never see them anymore.

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dealers buy the bags and rolls and pull out the best ones to either submit to PCGS or other grading companies. They will sell the next best as raw coins for a small profit usually in a P & D set them dump the lower grades at face value. You do this long enough you will get boxes that can have 30 or 40 NIFC in them.

Maine_Jim

Can you explain the dealers sending coins to PCGS? Why do they do that? Thanks.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because a highly graded coin carries a higher premium than a regular coin from circulation.

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope you won't be too upset if I venture to say I am officially jealous.

Rascal

iontyre

Mar 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because a highly graded coin carries a higher premium than a regular coin from circulation.

I don't trust those grading services anymore. I submitted a 1865 two cent piece with sharper detail and clean surfaces than any I had seen online graded MS-63 to MS-65. They sent it back to me "Genuine - Questionable color; uncirculated details". Toned maybe, and I've seen some similar toned pieces with out questionable color noted by PCGS. But it wasn't cleaned and even if they did question it, they could have offered an MS equivalent at least to help with future value. I felt shafted.

I won't even buy slabbed coins usually, I think the whole thing is a racket, and they have 'preferred customers' who get generous grading.

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't trust those grading services anymore. I submitted a 1865 two cent piece with sharper detail and clean surfaces than any I had seen online graded MS-63 to MS-65. They sent it back to me "Genuine - Questionable color; uncirculated details". Toned maybe, and I've seen some similar toned pieces with out questionable color noted by PCGS. But it wasn't cleaned and even if they did question it, they could have offered an MS equivalent at least to help with future value. I felt shafted.

I won't even buy slabbed coins usually, I think the whole thing is a racket, and they have 'preferred customers' who get generous grading.

^ This doesn't happen. That would render their "3rd party" status null and void, and no one would send coins to them anymore. They grade millions of coins a year. "Hooking up" a dealer or two is not worth it. They are only drops in the bucket. Not worth damaging their reputation. The graders have no idea whose coins they are looking at (I've talked to some that worked for pcgs).

I've had a coin or two come back that I thought were fine, but later realized they were right - the experts - and I had a lot to learn about coins & grading still.

It's to their better good (and the coin industry as a whole) to error on the side of caution with questionable coins rather than give them the benefit of the doubt.

I think for the most part they get it right. If you still think you're right, send it to NGC & see.

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they were scratched up, I would imagine they came from a $100 bag of them (loose). the mint doesn't seem to make the quality coins they made in the past...
gee, are those scratched up already or is it just a bad photo? You would think a 2014 this early in the year would look near flawless.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
gee, are those scratched up already or is it just a bad photo? You would think a 2014 this early in the year would look near flawless.

Mint employee taking his anger out that he didn't get the minimum wage hike that are applied to most government employees. Most as in excluding mint employees! So it's $7.25 an hour for you, clad polisher!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread