Small finds keep us going

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is not a post about some big find in a box of halves. It's not a post about some big find in the bank. I do like to read about them but we can't all be that lucky. In the last two weeks I have gotten a few first: I got a roll of Ike dollars, I keep them anyway. Few days later a Mercury dime, the following roll a Buffalo nickel. Few days later I got a Roosevelt and silver Canadian in the same roll. First dimes, first Buffalo, first roll of Ike's.....plus I got a uncirculated 2008 D Kennedy roll and 3 40%ers from teller trays. I searched less then $700 in coins and got 2 more 40%ers. Plus I got a few leads on some people maybe looking to sell some coins under melt value. Big finds are great but it's the little finds that keep us going. Just wanted to share my last few weeks....

Upvote 0

SanMartian

Apr 15, 2013
Skunksville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Slow and steady is how it usually works but if you keep at it you will get a decent score once or twice a year. Good luck and happy hunting!

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
I have to agree with you. The big finds are great, but usually few and far between. It's the little steady finds that keep me going.

HH

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have to agree with you. The big finds are great, but usually few and far between. It's the little steady finds that keep me going.

HH

I agree. You may or may not get a big score, but if you keep trying you just might. And those little finds add up over time. I like to have a goal to reach for. Right now I'm trying to find enough silver to get an 1894 Morgan dollar. It may take a while, but when I get there, it'll be way cooler than just going out and buying it.

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i totally agree.. ive only been doing this maybe 6-7 months, and honestly its the thrill of the hunt, i just recently started doing boxes and it is hit or miss, a few here, a few there, it all just adds up, and my last pick up was a bust so i did the old route and just went into banks and asked around.. and found allot of solid rolls.. (i have a thread about it) and it was fun, but we all know that finds like that a few and far between, so the merc dime, or that first 90% half in awhile is what keeps us comeing back, not the quick buck, now with that being said im always hoping for the next big score, but i guess thats part of the hunt. HH

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great thread! As someone who gets most my kicks out scratching around in the dirt for my finds...occasionally I do come across those little finds..."pennies from heaven"..as I see it, you know-those finds that you get when your'e least expecting it or not even hunting. A few months ago, I emptied my pockets out on my night stand,,,and hear that UNMISTAKABLE "clink"...and it didn't take long searching until I spotted the 1943 Merc. SCORE!! Not sure where I picked it up as change, as I (and as most of us do), usually inspect my change carefully when the clerk/cashier/attendant gives me change back. So yea..a Merc out there floating around in circulation, the only thing that coulda made it better is if had been a 1916D or some other key date..but I'm not complaining, I'll take it! Thx guys...ddf

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great thread indeed! I do not have the time right now to search high volume but I do get to the banks almost daily for work. My current goal is to find one silver coin per week. Pretty low I know but that one coin comes and it makes my day!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
barneyb71

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got 4 CWRs from a new bank today, the first 3 were solid '71 - '79, the last roll I dumped into my hand and you know that last coin that gets stuck in the roll, it falls and I hear the silver ring, beat up '68. Thinking I got my silver for the week it's all bonus from here, I get to my next delivery and the manager says, I got something for you? Silver, I say....yep, only a quarter and a dime. It's still silver at face, I'll take it. I hit a bank later that I haven't been to in a few weeks, and they have $12 loose and 2 CWRs, and then one teller said we got $30 more in the vault.....I'll take it all. She yells out, make that $110, I only had $100 more on me so I quickly go through $10 of the loose on the counter and say, I'll give you this $10 back and take all the rolls. I'm glad I did, they produced another 6 40%ers. 7 - 40%ers, 1 - '64 Washington, and 1 - '57 Roosevelt, all at face. Today was my best day and all on $180 in halves.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got 4 CWRs from a new bank today, the first 3 were solid '71 - '79, the last roll I dumped into my hand and you know that last coin that gets stuck in the roll, it falls and I hear the silver ring, beat up '68. Thinking I got my silver for the week it's all bonus from here, I get to my next delivery and the manager says, I got something for you? Silver, I say....yep, only a quarter and a dime. It's still silver at face, I'll take it. I hit a bank later that I haven't been to in a few weeks, and they have $12 loose and 2 CWRs, and then one teller said we got $30 more in the vault.....I'll take it all. She yells out, make that $110, I only had $100 more on me so I quickly go through $10 of the loose on the counter and say, I'll give you this $10 back and take all the rolls. I'm glad I did, they produced another 6 40%ers. 7 - 40%ers, 1 - '64 Washington, and 1 - '57 Roosevelt, all at face. Today was my best day and all on $180 in halves.

I always hope that last stuck coin is silver, too! Sounds like a good day for you! The quarter is a nice bonus.

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I can't half hunt in my area because there are plenty enough who do and the banks and credit unions have warned us ahead of time that people do. They warn us that the box might or might not have silver in them. And with Chemo and rad treatment I haven't been able to CRH for 7 months now. But I have gotten small bits of silver. A couple of silver dimes here, some war nicks there and finally my newest coinstar find at our workplace. a 1957 CAN dime. $1.18 in free silver. not much but I got other foreign silverage. Definitely not sending them to canada anymore. I got seriously hosed via shipping costs there. Loved the guy but definitely won't be sending him anything in Snailmail again.

See ya, GarouLady

OP
OP
barneyb71

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A find better then silver this morning.....my son last week told me he wanted a half dollar with his birth year, 2003. No problem I told him. Everyday he asks if I found one. Told him the other day I saw one at a store, did you buy it dad? No, they wanted $10, but dad. I said, I'll find one....it was the best ender, a beautifully toned AU 2003. He'll love it, and I'll love giving it to him.

penman77

Dec 11, 2011
Eastern North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP, good point. Over my last 8 boxes I have found 4 40% and 1 90%, not a big payoff but it keeps me going. I have observed over the last few years that the best 3 weeks of the year will yield about 1/3 of my silver for that year.

OP
OP
barneyb71

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best week to date and 1 bank pays me to take the halves and gives me a 40% too. We all have had that CWR that is short a dime or quarter, maybe even a half, but we have had that penny roll with a dime or maybe an extra quarter. I picked up $11 loose and 1 CWR of halves from a bank and leave. Well nothing in the loose stuff but the roll gives me a 40% but has I'm holding the coins in my hand I realize there seems to be some extra coins. So I count when putting them back in the roll. $10 in and $2 still in my hand, the roll had $12.50. I go to a new bank and pick up 4 CWRs. I look at the ends and see 1 has a '68, so I will make that my last roll. Nothing in first 3, last roll gives me 8 40%, best roll for me so far. Sorry I can't post a picture, my phone won't let me. Get to my work deposit bank and the teller has 2 40% in the tray, great way to end the week. 11 40%, a '20 Mercury, and 2 Roosevelt's. By far my best week to date. Hope everyone has a good week.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread