Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, every so often I ask my tellers if they have any loose halves..unusual coins or anything out of the ordinary in their tray...but I would like to know what is collectable/valuable regarding dollar coins? I am pretty sure that the Susan B. Anthony and the Seskatchewan dollar coins are worth..$1 each. So..my knowledgeable and trusty Tnet coin gurus...Are dollar coins worth looking for, as I do not hear much about them, save for the occasional Ike here and there. What years of the dollar coin were silver, and are the Ike's anything special to look for? If so, what years? I have a good relationship with my tellers, have been banking there over 20 years and my CRH involves simply buying the CWR they have on hand, versus buying boxes, and I have decent luck with that. Thanks fellas, I appreciate any and all input. Sincerely, ddf.

Upvote 0

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like your BRAND NEW to the world of coin numistmatics, therefore I suggest you get the newest 2014-edition "RED BOOK", and read up everything you need on the coins you plan on hunting. Very helpful, will answer questions you have before need to ask others.

7treefrog

Aug 4, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"S" , mint Susan b Anthony and Ike's are mostly silver but don't quote me on that.

iontyre

Mar 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There were NO silver Susan B's...none.

Ikes were produced in 40% silver in Uncirculated and Proof versions from the S mint for collectors from 1971 - 1976. There are also non-silver Ike proofs from 1973 to 1976, so don't confuse them.

ShaunB

Mar 4, 2014
Clarksville, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro (borrowed)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wide rim (near date) 1979-P Anthony dollars are worth decent money in mint state.

Thorne

Dec 5, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also the gold dollars some were minted with no text on the edge of the coin.
Although it would seem like the text would be the first thing to wear off on that coin. So I'd Google it and see if you can fond which one.

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe it's Washington, Adams, and Jefferson that have no text on the rim. They were the first 3 released. I think there might have been double text on one of them too. I know I had some with no text on them when they first came out, sold them on eBay but don't remember what I got for them. Every bank I go in and ask for dollar coins they say "we got the gold ones". I say no thanks, looking for Ike dollars or older ones.

OP
OP
dirtdigginfool

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OOPS..sorry for the gross misspelling...immy...was going strictly off of memory...which at my advanced age isnt so hot anymore..ha-saskatchewan...But anyway-thanks very much to all for the dollar coin tutorial, appreciate for jumping in there to help me out! ddf

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the "wow " is warranted this time. You said yourself you are new. That being said you shouldn't just throw out answers without making sure they are factual. We have enough members on the forum doing that.
HH
enamel7

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree the "wow"was warrented
If youre new then maybe you shouldnt be throwing out info unless you KNOW 100% or research it and maybe throw in a link to where you found the info

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

7treefrog

Aug 4, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw it in a coin magazine, it seemed pretty legit to me! It must have been a proof or one those special offers!! I will include a pic if I can find it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread