I dont get it.....

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't get it.....

Got a box of halves from the bank today, nice sealed box, no signs of tampering. Got home and starting checking right away for enders, right away I noticed most of these rolls looked like they had been re wrapped. On about 40 of the rolls there was one really loose end, then the other 10 were crimped tight like they should be. Is it possible to get someones dump of rolls in a "new" sealed box? I don't get it, almost like someone at Dunbar saw enders and opened the rolls or something. In one of the properly sealed rolls I did find my first Franklin half!

Upvote 0

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was it sealed with blank brown paper tape?, Because I sealed a box back like that once i relized they were all gone thru. And I only did it so they would take them back

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was it sealed with blank brown paper tape?, Because I sealed a box back like that once i relized they were all gone thru. And I only did it so they would take them back

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yes the box was sealed with the brown paper tape. Well glad I at least had a couple fresh rolls in there and I managed the Franklin.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes the rolling machine gets a bif off-kilter and doesn't crimp the ends just right making the roll look like it might have been tampered with.

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Bottlecap - it's not at all uncommon. A lot of people will unwrap one end of a MWR, check them, then cram them back into the same paper roll, put them back into the same box and dump at, preferably, a different bank. When this dump bank sends the halves out a lot of times the coin company will just tape the boxes out and send them back on their merry way, severely disappointing whoever now get these repacked dumps. It sucks but it's part of the game. My best pick up back is someone else's dump bank so about 20% of the boxes I pick up are exactly as I describe. When I get them they remain in my possession for about 15 minutes as I drive down the street and dump them back.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes the box was sealed with the brown paper tape. Well glad I at least had a couple fresh rolls in there and I managed the Franklin.

Did you at least check the rest of the box? I would have if I found a Franklin half...

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you at least check the rest of the box? I would have if I found a Franklin half...

Oh yes please say you checked the whole box????
If it was as a rewrap still mghtve missed a dirty rimmed 40% or maybe even a newbie who doesnt know about 40%

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
YES I checked the entire box! What still confuses me is like I said about 10 of the rolls were clearly machine wrapped, nice tight crimps, no way someone re wrapped these, the loose ones were VERY loose, I mean a couple of the rolls I probably could have tipped upside down and the coins would have fallen out on their own. On a side note I dumped those back yesterday and got another box, and another Franklin! Isn't that crazy? Up until yesterday I had never found ONE, then out of two boxes I get ONE Franklin per box and that's it. Also my son unwrapped the rolls as I checked them last night and he would check both sides of each coin, when he found a marked coin he would say, "NAUGHTY!".

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YES I checked the entire box! What still confuses me is like I said about 10 of the rolls were clearly machine wrapped, nice tight crimps, no way someone re wrapped these, the loose ones were VERY loose, I mean a couple of the rolls I probably could have tipped upside down and the coins would have fallen out on their own. On a side note I dumped those back yesterday and got another box, and another Franklin! Isn't that crazy? Up until yesterday I had never found ONE, then out of two boxes I get ONE Franklin per box and that's it. Also my son unwrapped the rolls as I checked them last night and he would check both sides of each coin, when he found a marked coin he would say, "NAUGHTY!".

I recently bought 4 boxes of halves from a bank. The boxes were all sealed. 3 boxes of we wrapped dumps and 1 box with 40 re wrapped rolls and 10 machine wrapped rolls. Terrible batch. All skunks. At least the crh that previously searched the boxes didn't short the box.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I recently bought 4 boxes of halves from a bank. The boxes were all sealed. 3 boxes of we wrapped dumps and 1 box with 40 re wrapped rolls and 10 machine wrapped rolls. Terrible batch. All skunks. At least the crh that previously searched the boxes didn't short the box.

Oh that sucks man. Just one box of re wraps is enough to crush my spirits. On a positive note I got a nice clean box today, all machine wrapped...no silver but one really nice proof.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread