Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
quarter- struck thru grease ? and value, zincoln- planchet error or PMD? and value, zincoln- struck thru grease? and value. the light metal on zilcoln peeled off around rim during cleaning, it was not lead solder. was it metal stuck to die that was transferred to coin which caused poor strike with smearing of ONE CENT and E PLURIBUS motto? IMG_0813.JPG IMG_0814.JPG IMG_0816.JPG IMG_0823.jpg IMG_0824.jpg

Upvote 0

omga747

Oct 28, 2011
Southern CA
Primary Interest:
Other
The quarter doesn't look special (just kind of like a stain on it?), and the cut penny looks like PMD to me. The last one does look like a grease-filled die, but please, DO NOT CLEAN ANY COINS. It really has no value now after the damage done by cleaning. But not too much damage was done since it's not like it was worth a whole lot to begin with, even though it is kind of a cool piece.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last one looks like a coin that's been rubbed on concrete to me.

OP
OP
P

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
to clarify- the qtr is not stained, those are areas of depressed metal. the zincoln has metal that is not lead bonded to the rim, a small strip of it peeled off around the full circumference of the coin revealing the deformed areas, and the extent of "cleaning" was a few seconds of rubbing between fingers with liquid dish soap and tap water rinse to remove surface oil and dirt. the cut zincoln has marks only on reverse with obverse line not serrated.
The quarter doesn't look special (just kind of like a stain on it?), and the cut penny looks like PMD to me. The last one does look like a grease-filled die, but please, DO NOT CLEAN ANY COINS. It really has no value now after the damage done by cleaning. But not too much damage was done since it's not like it was worth a whole lot to begin with, even though it is kind of a cool piece.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
the cut zincoln has marks only on reverse with obverse line not serrated.
Someone playing with those scissors they advertise on TV that will cut anything.. Sorry. I know it's human nature to think you've made a score. It's good that you're paying attention but it's my opinion you need to keep looking. A better pic of the quarter might change some minds on that one. I have no idea.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread