What should BuffaloBoy do?

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me set up the scenario: Our fellow member BuffaloBoy was on a road trip in my area the other day and he tipped me off that he had been at a specific bank that had given up a '64 from some CWR and that the bank also had six more rolls of CWR, but the teller that had those rolls was off that day. Since this was far from his home he let me know that I should check it out if I had the chance. This bank is relatively close to where I work, but in an area that I have never really CRH'ed and really never ventured to.

Since I was at the office this morning and had a little spare time I decided to check it out. When I got to the bank the teller said: "Oh, you must be the guy that the other tellers were telling me about from the other day". I said: "No, actually I am a friend of his, but he told me to come pick up the halves". She went to get the halves and I had thought she went back into the main vault. As I am waiting, I swear I keep hearing the clink, clink of silver coming from one of the other tellers, but I look around and none of them are counting change. I keep hearing the clink, clink of silver but I am starting to think that I am losing my mind. Finally the teller comes back with six rolls of CWR. I can clearly see that they are old worn rolls with writing on them which is something that I have never been fortunate enough to see in the past. A couple were marked mix, and I see one is definitely marked 1968. The teller says that she had recounted a couple rolls to make sure they were all there (which I now realize is what I was hearing). I get out to the car and am psyched. I couldn't even wait to pull out of the parking lot. I peak into the one roll she had been fiddling with and it was a complete skunk, all clad. I then peak into the 1968 roll and the first coin I see is a 1968. I didn't search all the rolls in the parking lot, but before I pulled out I sent Buff a pm telling him that he set me up with my single best CWR score ever and that he should send me his address so I can send him half of the silvers I find.

I finally get home and search all the rolls. I'm relatively convinced that the teller was not "checking the rolls" for me, but rather hurriedly removing some of the silver. Regardless, I am blown away by the results. One roll was indeed short three coins, but the 17 in it were all 40%'ers. I also got two other rolls that were not short and were solid 40%'ers. All said and done out of 6 rolls I ended up with 82 40%'ers. No 90%, but I came close to hitting the dream box number out of six rolls.

Now for the poll: Buffaloboy is refusing to let me send him half of the silver or to meet up with him to give them to him the next time he is in the area. The way I see it, this find is at least half his. What do you think he should do? Should he accept half the silvers or keep telling me to keep them?

I would also like to say that today has really gotten me to realize that there are some really awesome people on this website. Buffaloboy is a class act and aside from being an excellent contributing member on this site, he really goes out of his way to help his fellow members. Hey Buff, thanks for letting me be a part of this excellent find.

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its very admirable for you to offer half of the plunder, and absolutely his right to politely refuse.

Nice score.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with arkie :P

Very cool that he tipped you off, but if he doesnt want it, dont force him to take it! (Send it to me instead! haha jk).

If I were in BB's shoes, I dont think I could accept it either... he gave you a tip, on his free will, and it just happened to work out... :P

Nice score though! wow

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me set up the scenario: Our fellow member BuffaloBoy was on a road trip in my area the other day and he tipped me off that he had been at a specific bank that had given up a '64 from some CWR and that the bank also had six more rolls of CWR, but the teller that had those rolls was off that day. Since this was far from his home he let me know that I should check it out if I had the chance. This bank is relatively close to where I work, but in an area that I have never really CRH'ed and really never ventured to.

Since I was at the office this morning and had a little spare time I decided to check it out. When I got to the bank the teller said: "Oh, you must be the guy that the other tellers were telling me about from the other day". I said: "No, actually I am a friend of his, but he told me to come pick up the halves". She went to get the halves and I had thought she went back into the main vault. As I am waiting, I swear I keep hearing the clink, clink of silver coming from one of the other tellers, but I look around and none of them are counting change. I keep hearing the clink, clink of silver but I am starting to think that I am losing my mind. Finally the teller comes back with six rolls of CWR. I can clearly see that they are old worn rolls with writing on them which is something that I have never been fortunate enough to see in the past. A couple were marked mix, and I see one is definitely marked 1968. The teller says that she had recounted a couple rolls to make sure they were all there (which I now realize is what I was hearing). I get out to the car and am psyched. I couldn't even wait to pull out of the parking lot. I peak into the one roll she had been fiddling with and it was a complete skunk, all clad. I then peak into the 1968 roll and the first coin I see is a 1968. I didn't search all the rolls in the parking lot, but before I pulled out I sent Buff a pm telling him that he set me up with my single best CWR score ever and that he should send me his address so I can send him half of the silvers I find.

I finally get home and search all the rolls. I'm relatively convinced that the teller was not "checking the rolls" for me, but rather hurriedly removing some of the silver. Regardless, I am blown away by the results. One roll was indeed short three coins, but the 17 in it were all 40%'ers. I also got two other rolls that were not short and were solid 40%'ers. All said and done out of 6 rolls I ended up with 82 40%'ers. No 90%, but I came close to hitting the dream box number out of six rolls.

Now for the poll: Buffaloboy is refusing to let me send him half of the silver or to meet up with him to give them to him the next time he is in the area. The way I see it, this find is at least half his. What do you think he should do? Should he accept half the silvers or keep telling me to keep them?

I would also like to say that today has really gotten me to realize that there are some really awesome people on this website. Buffaloboy is a class act and aside from being an excellent contributing member on this site, he really goes out of his way to help his fellow members. Hey Buff, thanks for letting me be a part of this excellent find.

:coffee2: BuffaloBoy is a class act. Thank him & respect his wishes. BTY congrats on the great find. Were any of them 1970?

HH
Gary

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh come on buffaloboy take your cut- maybe not 1/2 but settle for 1/4- or atleast 1/8 thats still 10 40% s
The guys thankful and wants to repay ya for the tip, let him repay you ;-)

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Another great cwr score! Like the others have already stated, I wouldn't want to say how u and BB should decide on dividing up the silver. But congrats to both u and BB on a great cwr score! :thumbsup:

Btw, in regards to that teller checking and counting the rolls and then selling u a short roll - I know its just $1.50 that u were shorted and u did score a great deal of silver with the rest of the coins - but if she did intentionally sell u a short roll that she shorted herself and still charged u the full amount for the roll, that's just outright theft and is probably a violation of Federal law and if it could be proven she did that she should be terminated from her job immediately and even possibly face criminal penalties. If she wants some of the silver for herself that's one thing, but she should have only charged u for the fv of what she sold u - not for the fv of the silver she was keeping for herself too. Its bad enough that some customers short cwr's but for a teller to short a roll and then charge a customer the full amount of the roll is just outright theft and completely stupid and inexcusable. I know just being shorted $1.50 after such a nice score isn't an issue and maybe the teller could have kept it all for herself Idk, but bank employees should be more careful when they are mixing their personal finances with transactions between customers and the bank.

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
She might have only checked a couple of rolls that were obviously far shorter than what it is. I think it's hard to be upset over $1.50 when you intentionally request customer rolls.

By the way, this is a great tread. for a solitary (or family hobby) you two have shown what this can be at it's best. way to set the bar high.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can give you BB's OTHER address if you want it :laughing7:

Uncle Ben

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quite admirable on both your parts. Whatever the outcome is....fantastic score, congrats.

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
day.jpg Here is a pic of the contents of each roll. The stacked piles are clad, the ones that are laying down are silver. I love it when the silver out numbers the clad.

OP
OP
F

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the great replies. I posted this mainly so that everyone knows buffaloboy is one of the good ones. I also was hoping that it would persuade him. That's between he and I and we will see how it goes.

As for the short rolls, it could have just been conjecture on my part. She really was a sweet teller and I wasn't complaining about a minor shortage.

There were no proofs or 1970 silvers in the bunch, but I have been lucky enough to find six 1970 silver halfs over the last year or so.

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, nice! I'd absolutely accept half the silver, haha, so I voted correspondingly.

ckm91377

Sep 18, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta give props to you for being an upfront guy and offering to share. I'm sure BB appreciated your offer and just the fact that you offered was probably thanks enough for his actions and showed him that giving you the tip was not a mistake.

weighit

Feb 17, 2007
Northern Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX with a Big Foot coil
Gold Bug 2
Now that is a class act on both of your parts, you for offering and he for saying no.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks, I wanted to give this thread a little bump, since this thread, fish on!, and I, have met up today while I was on a bank run, and he gave me 2 rolls of 40% silver halves including a bicentennial silver, which was totally awesome... He's a real nice guy, this truly goes to show that there are still nice and generous people still out there, they are just getting rarer and rarer to come across, just like silver..

You rock, fish on!, thank you so much :D

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You both are Nice Guys ! It was very nice of you BB to give him the tip off about a possible score - That's a great example of a
generous spirit , and it's equally wonderful that he reciprocated with giving you silver too !!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread