do your tellers save halfs??

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a whole day to hunt a town up north whille my wife drills(guard) so i hit about 12 different banks, all in all maybe 12$ in halfs i found... zero silver! then i go to one bank i have a account at and asked and i could see a silver half sitting in her ray so i asked for it, she said no!! she was saving it for a customer? im a customer, and a member....not gonna lie, im pretty frustrated with all these teller sniping... should they leave it in the tray?? i have a friend who is a teller who kinda holds stuff, but i think if it was in her tray and someone asked, shed sell it... what are your thoughts??

my wife said i should of closed the account, but i opened it because they have coin counters.. so im just gonna dump there, there is 3 branchs in this town, i used the other two for dumping this weekend because there counters were not in the main lobby so i wouldnt be a pain, but this branch has it right in the lobby, im going back this morning with the 2 boxes of dimes i bought ( trying to salvage my AG) i did find 1 1960 rosi in the box... not much but my 2 boxes on thursday was a skunk so at least i found 1 silver this week..

anyway just looking for your opinions or thoughts HH

Upvote 0

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why can't a teller CRH? I certainly would if I worked as a teller.

Just because you can see coins in the tray doesn't mean squat. That tray is not advertising coins for sale such as a rack of shirts in a clothing store. The tray is merely a counting/accessibility convenience for the teller. CRH is first-come, first-served. By default the teller is there first. Demanding the teller sell you anything that he/she wishes to keep is just like you being behind me in line at the bank when I score some silver halves. You then demand that I sell you the coins because you want them, even though I got there first.

I do wish the tellers would hide what they want for themselves, but due to bank policy this isn't always an option. I had one head teller that kept her slowly growing pile of silver coins in plain sight in her tray for years. After getting to know her a little, I'm fairly certain she did that just so that she could tell people, "No!" when they asked. By happenstance I caught her gone one day and was shocked when a brand new teller offered me those silver halves when I asked for half dollars. I thought about taking them, but figured it wasn't worth the new teller losing her job over a handful of silver coins. I still think I made the right call.

If you CRH for very long you will see this several times. You might "pitch a fit" to the teller's boss and get the coin. IMO it's not worth it. We CRHers are at the absolute mercy of the banks in our hobby. They do not have to sell us one single roll of coins. Ever. Without cooperative banks, we are out of business. Why any CRHer would want to jeopardize the whole hobby over a little silver here and there is beyond my reasoning abilities. I believe its best to stay as low-key as possible. CRHers already cost banks money. If we are also complaining and causing problems, banks will easily figure out the best way to deal with CRHers...which is to not deal with them at all. My advice is to pick your battles very wisely.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is what it is
It sucks and ya it would be nice if they hid the silver but many dont and already have their favorite customers, so what do you need to do? Become a favorite customer, start bringing treats and being super nice, get to know them and them to know you- will it work all the time? Nope but ive got 1 teller looking out for me now after about a yr of visiting him and bringing in treats every so often-
Good luck
HH

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just remember most tellers get new jobs rather quickly or get moved to different branches or whatever. If she is sniping, oh well, she may not be there next week or next month or just go in when another teller is working her fund on the snipers day off and buy her silver then. There are many ways around a sniper, you just have to be craftier than thou art.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its the tellers right to keep the coins for themselves if they want to... Many sniping tellers actually have no problem ordering me boxes of coins because they know what I am looking for.

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why can't a teller CRH? I certainly would if I worked as a teller.

Just because you can see coins in the tray doesn't mean squat. That tray is not advertising coins for sale such as a rack of shirts in a clothing store. The tray is merely a counting/accessibility convenience for the teller. CRH is first-come, first-served. By default the teller is there first. Demanding the teller sell you anything that he/she wishes to keep is just like you being behind me in line at the bank when I score some silver halves. You then demand that I sell you the coins because you want them, even though I got there first.

I do wish the tellers would hide what they want for themselves, but due to bank policy this isn't always an option. I had one head teller that kept her slowly growing pile of silver coins in plain sight in her tray for years. After getting to know her a little, I'm fairly certain she did that just so that she could tell people, "No!" when they asked. By happenstance I caught her gone one day and was shocked when a brand new teller offered me those silver halves when I asked for half dollars. I thought about taking them, but figured it wasn't worth the new teller losing her job over a handful of silver coins. I still think I made the right call.

If you CRH for very long you will see this several times. You might "pitch a fit" to the teller's boss and get the coin. IMO it's not worth it. We CRHers are at the absolute mercy of the banks in our hobby. They do not have to sell us one single roll of coins. Ever. Without cooperative banks, we are out of business. Why any CRHer would want to jeopardize the whole hobby over a little silver here and there is beyond my reasoning abilities. I believe its best to stay as low-key as possible. CRHers already cost banks money. If we are also complaining and causing problems, banks will easily figure out the best way to deal with CRHers...which is to not deal with them at all. My advice is to pick your battles very wisely.[/QUOTE

this teller wasnt keeping them for her self, but for another member, who was not their, i am a member and was there, and like you said, first come first serve

i have no intention of bringing it above her head, and didnt say i was, your reply is alittle off topic, but thanks

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
this teller was holding for another member, not for herself (or she lied) this post was for your opinions as hunters, if you have a teller that saves them, do they leave them in the open? some of you guys got the wrong impression about this post....

Uncle Ben

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends upon the bank....my favorite bank put an end to sniping making it against policy due to some guy making a big deal out if it.....so now they save them all for me! The one time a CRH acted like a jerk and it paid off for me!

Uncle Ben

Apr 24, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And.....yes my tellers keep them in their tray. I asked why they didn't hide them and they said if they got audited and coins were hidden or out of place it can cost them their job. HH Ben

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had it happen twice now, that I see silver in the tray and they refuse to sell it to me...

I think its a buncha crap, they should put it in their drawer or something IMO... I dont really mind if they are saving it for someone, just dont advertise it then...

Ive left both times real pissed off, but you know, its just part of the game... we dont have to like it, but regardless it is :)

HH

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a whole day to hunt a town up north whille my wife drills(guard) so i hit about 12 different banks, all in all maybe 12$ in halfs i found... zero silver! then i go to one bank i have a account at and asked and i could see a silver half sitting in her ray so i asked for it, she said no!! she was saving it for a customer? im a customer, and a member....not gonna lie, im pretty frustrated with all these teller sniping... should they leave it in the tray?? i have a friend who is a teller who kinda holds stuff, but i think if it was in her tray and someone asked, shed sell it... what are your thoughts?? my wife said i should of closed the account, but i opened it because they have coin counters.. so im just gonna dump there, there is 3 branchs in this town, i used the other two for dumping this weekend because there counters were not in the main lobby so i wouldnt be a pain, but this branch has it right in the lobby, im going back this morning with the 2 boxes of dimes i bought ( trying to salvage my AG) i did find 1 1960 rosi in the box... not much but my 2 boxes on thursday was a skunk so at least i found 1 silver this week.. anyway just looking for your opinions or thoughts HH
Starkizzle, I have a few tellers that save halves for me. They save all the halves, knowing I look for the special ones. They don't know which ones are special. They tend to keep loose ones in their trays and rolls in their drawers or vault. At two of these banks I'm not sure if they would really say no to someone who saw them but I'd like to think they would. Their faces light up when they see me coming and they are happy to be rid of the halves (and big dollars). I visit them often so they know they won't have to hold them long. They have handed over enough silver so I'm confident they are clueless or just don't care. At another bank the head teller said she tells people no and saves them all for me. I scored some nice rolls from her once and then nothing for 9 months. Come to find out she had been saving them in a bag and one day casually mentioned that she had $400 something saved, do I want them. Kind of strange but I found some silver. I think it would be a mistake to close your account because she wouldn't sell. It's better that you know where you stand with this teller/bank and adjust your strategy accordingly. My view is that I'm going to get something from each bank I deal with. Some banks I know I'm not going to get silver halves from. They can be used as a place to dump halves or use them for dimes or nickels, get wrappers from them, etc. Then just move on to the next bank. Some banks can be real silver mines, because the tellers don't know/care about silver and others need to be dealt with differently because the tellers snipe. Just adapt to what each bank can do for you.

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have had it happen twice now, that I see silver in the tray and they refuse to sell it to me...

I think its a buncha crap, they should put it in their drawer or something IMO... I dont really mind if they are saving it for someone, just dont advertise it then...

Ive left both times real pissed off, but you know, its just part of the game... we dont have to like it, but regardless it is :)

HH

that was my thought too.. but if their really is no policy then it doesn't matter, and maybe their shouldn't be, because it could just as easily be one of us that is having them saved, I agree with the ones who said to adjust strategy accordingly, ad I believe that was what I did, maybe alil reckless with just going ahead and dumping in their lobby, when there are other options, but I try not to dump too much in one spot anyway, and avoided using this branch for dumping because it would of been loud, but all well, I also found myself leaving rather frustrated and mad, but mostly cause all I ever hear is about this guy, "yesterday" he is just about everywhere I go, but a day ahead, but suppose if had a good relationship with a teller I could get around that.

also I have found that everytime I get skunked or have something like that happen it pushes me to hunt harder, and step up my strategy so in the end I feel like it happens for a reason, because so far after these type issues I come out ahead.

I learned that dumping a lot of dimes in a machine is a bad idea... 500$ dimes, 1 silver rosie... the machine counted 34 dimes as cents, so short 3.40$ , but was 34 cents, so short 3$ but 1 silver dime =1.44 so short 1.50, but I ended up with a warped half that wont feed, so they opened up the machine and gave me all the Canadian change.. so I learned a few things, as well as expanding my search area and actually finding a bank that keeps boxes of halves, I bought 3, still have one left and found my MWR with a franklin, so.. the big picture is tellers that save halfs for someone other then me may make me alittle mad, but their is always a reason

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Starkizzle, I have a few tellers that save halves for me. They save all the halves, knowing I look for the special ones. They don't know which ones are special. They tend to keep loose ones in their trays and rolls in their drawers or vault. At two of these banks I'm not sure if they would really say no to someone who saw them but I'd like to think they would. Their faces light up when they see me coming and they are happy to be rid of the halves (and big dollars). I visit them often so they know they won't have to hold them long. They have handed over enough silver so I'm confident they are clueless or just don't care. At another bank the head teller said she tells people no and saves them all for me. I scored some nice rolls from her once and then nothing for 9 months. Come to find out she had been saving them in a bag and one day casually mentioned that she had $400 something saved, do I want them. Kind of strange but I found some silver. I think it would be a mistake to close your account because she wouldn't sell. It's better that you know where you stand with this teller/bank and adjust your strategy accordingly. My view is that I'm going to get something from each bank I deal with. Some banks I know I'm not going to get silver halves from. They can be used as a place to dump halves or use them for dimes or nickels, get wrappers from them, etc. Then just move on to the next bank. Some banks can be real silver mines, because the tellers don't know/care about silver and others need to be dealt with differently because the tellers snipe. Just adapt to what each bank can do for you.

im with you, and ive been doing that with the ones that don't really play in my favor, but something that has been said many times here, quantity is a big factor, although with that being said, any teller whos sits anything aside for you may be better then going thru large amounts, but going thru boxes often with even small results adds up. thanks for input everyone

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's better that you know where you stand with this teller/bank and adjust your strategy accordingly. My view is that I'm going to get something from each bank I deal with.

Bingo.

Count Skrule

Nov 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say it is :censored:. If I were a teller, I would bring change to switch it out, and put the silver in my pocket. I mean their job is, to give money/change. I wouldn't let it bother me, lest they dumped my rolls and went through them first. 8-)

Last edited:

jd750707

Mar 4, 2013
SW Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
If you have tellers saving for you, wouldn't you be mad if you went in to get them and they told you someone raised hell and they had to give them to someone else... She was saving for maybe another CRH

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have tellers saving for you, wouldn't you be mad if you went in to get them and they told you someone raised hell and they had to give them to someone else... She was saving for maybe another CRH

yes and no, in this hobby i always hear about mr. yesterday, hes everywhere i go, a day earlier, and that seems to be the norm, yes i was upset, being a member of that bank, i think we all have our own idea of how the teller "should" handle certain situations, and IMO having a teller hold you silver is great, but not in their trays, but that is based on my perseption of how they work, i have no idea of thier policies, and like others have said in this thread, their tray is not a clothes rack, displaying coins for sale, so in that case we as hunters dont have many rights, even as customers. but after i spent the better half of the day hunting, being turned down, turned away, i finally walked into a bank that i have a account at, saw my silver of the day right there in my face, and was refused, but i dont think this is one of those "yes or no, right or wrong" kind of situations... but i n my mind, everyother bank that told me some other guy just got them all gives me the "first come first serve" mindset, even though its not the right one.

thanks everyone for their fews, and i did not actually go back to that branch and dump hard, i instead looked at a map and found other hunting grounds, and actually came out ahead. i plan on visiting that branch again, keeping in mind the teller who already has her CRHer customer, and trying another teller. you guy are 100% right about overcoming stuff like this... it was probably a 40%er anyway:thumbsup:

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it's 1-2 halves I could care less, its not worth the time or the hassle. Now, If I see $10 face silver in that tray, I'm either leaving with it or I'm speaking to the manager!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread