Would you date an Indian?

DustDevilMarc

Feb 12, 2014
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would you date the Buffalo?

I found this worn Buffalo coin recently in a box of nickels.

Worn Indian 1.JPG Worn Indian 2.JPG

As you can see, the year inscription is missing from the Native American's shoulder.

This is only my second Buffalo, so I am a bit attached to it. If this were your second Buffalo, would you use a weak acid on it to try to reveal the year of minting? Doing so will most likely scar the nickel with a nasty looking etched area. I am not sure that I want to degrade the coin more than it already is. Would you?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wouldn't. Keep hunting and you will get some with dates.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
1913-36 Type 2 Buffalo Nickel because it's standing on a mound with a line representing the bottom of the mound. 1913 Type 1 the buffalo is standing on a mound that blends at the bottom!
1937-D Buffalo has only 3 legs!
Best of luck¡
1913 Type 1
1913 Type 1.jpeg
1913 Type 2
1913 Type 2.jpeg
1937 3-legs
1937-D.jpeg

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea I'd definitely date these Indians

y.jpg images.jpg

Buffalo's don't float my boat though.

& NIC-A-DATE is correct a drop on the date of most Buffalo's will bring it out.
Doesn't work for me on Dug-uns though

Last edited:

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Marc - I have nic-a-date and it works very well. It's very cool to see the date appear on a dateless buffalo. That being said I don't ever use it on my own CRH finds. Not really sure why other than for my personal finds it doesn't bother me that they're dateless. So reason I don't get arrowheads 'restored' when I find heartbreakers. Some times I'll grab 20-30 dateless buff's from the ole LCS and nic-a-date them. Have find several keys and semi-keys that way.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would treat it to make the date appear, a dateless buffalo isn't even worth 2x face value. I have plenty of dateless buffs that I have been considering using nic-a-date on also, do what you feel is the right thing to do :)

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
your best bet is to see if the dealer will sell you the mint marked buffalo nickels and you'll make out very well with keys that way.
Marc - I have nic-a-date and it works very well. It's very cool to see the date appear on a dateless buffalo. That being said I don't ever use it on my own CRH finds. Not really sure why other than for my personal finds it doesn't bother me that they're dateless. So reason I don't get arrowheads 'restored' when I find heartbreakers. Some times I'll grab 20-30 dateless buff's from the ole LCS and nic-a-date them. Have find several keys and semi-keys that way.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would treat it to make the date appear, a dateless buffalo isn't even worth 2x face value. I have plenty of dateless buffs that I have been considering using nic-a-date on also, do what you feel is the right thing to do :)

yep an acid treated (damaged) 1918- D 8 over 7 is worth close to $1000.00 to the right collector
that same Buffalo without a date showing at all may be worth a dime to come kid
for show and tell

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me, acid-dated looks no worse than worn slick. There is no wrong answer here. Its your coin. Whichever you prefer is the correct answer.

With that said, you can only increase the value by using nic-a-date. It will not (cannot) lower the value, but should a rare date appear, your coin jumps in value. For example, I have seen well-done acid dated 1913-S T2's sell for over $20 on ebay. That's quite a jump.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To me, acid-dated looks no worse than worn slick. There is no wrong answer here. Its your coin. Whichever you prefer is the correct answer.

With that said, you can only increase the value by using nic-a-date. It will not (cannot) lower the value, but should a rare date appear, your coin jumps in value. For example, I have seen well-done acid dated 1913-S T2's sell for over $20 on ebay. That's quite a jump.

I've seen them get a green Tinge to the date area after the acid but yea, no Biggie

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
There's no value in a dateless Buff so there's no downside at all to nic-a-dating them. I've found them in circulation that had already been nic-a-dated.

Buff - like you said, if I'm going to grab some out of the dateless bucket I always grab ones that are mint marked.

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
NICADATE revealed the following: 13 T1, 13 T2, 14 (4), 14S, 15, 15D (2), 15S, 16 (4), 16D (3), 17 (5), 18 (3), 18S, 19 (4), 20 (3), 21, 23, 25 (2), and 26D. be sure to finger wash before and after with mild soap and water. tiny drop in date area only, use a toothpick to break surface tension for uniform action on all digits. 1 to 2 minutes, then wick liquid with a tissue and wash. repeat if needed. treated area will be slightly grainy with light color change. will try listing some treated ones on ebay as a lot with full disclosure and see if there is any interest.

iontyre

Mar 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone know if nic-a-date would work on a standing liberty quarter?

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anyone know if nic-a-date would work on a standing liberty quarter?

I think it just works with nickels because of the composition of the coins, but I sure wish there was something like nic a date to use for SLQ's also, I've got plenty of those I'd like to know the dates of too lol.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By the looks of that coin, you arent going to get a date. When its that slick, in my experience, its gone forever.

Holmes08

Greenie
Nov 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use nic-a-date on my dateless buffalos.....I bought the bottle/tube of it.....if you let the acid sit on it you get that worn area like yours has....BUT my advice for the future is you'll never use that entire bottle, so drop a droplet on it count to 5 wipe it off with a cloth/rag.....and repeat the process it wont look as BEAT UP. than I see if my collection needs that coin

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess I see where people are coming from on this acid dating. I keep all the buffs I find but really don't care that much about them. Certainly can't hurt and if it reveals a rare coin worth $$$, then yes, seems to be worthwhile doing it.
HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread