Would you date an Indian?
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Would you date an Indian?

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Feb 2014
    Northern California
    66 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

Would you date the Buffalo?

I found this worn Buffalo coin recently in a box of nickels.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Worn Indian 1.JPG 
Views:	188 
Size:	267.2 KB 
ID:	973233Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Worn Indian 2.JPG 
Views:	157 
Size:	210.8 KB 
ID:	973234

As you can see, the year inscription is missing from the Native American's shoulder.

This is only my second Buffalo, so I am a bit attached to it. If this were your second Buffalo, would you use a weak acid on it to try to reveal the year of minting? Doing so will most likely scar the nickel with a nasty looking etched area. I am not sure that I want to degrade the coin more than it already is. Would you?
    Last edited by DustDevilMarc; Apr 05, 2014 at 10:57 PM. Reason: I did not want to offend Native Americans

us
    Mar 2012
    New York
    Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
    538 times
    Metal Detecting
    I wouldn't. Keep hunting and you will get some with dates.
    RustyGold likes this.

Charter Member
    us
    Aug 2013
    Southern California
    Equinox 800 / XP Deus
    8815 times
    1913-36 Type 2 Buffalo Nickel because it's standing on a mound with a line representing the bottom of the mound. 1913 Type 1 the buffalo is standing on a mound that blends at the bottom!
    1937-D Buffalo has only 3 legs!
    Best of luckˇ
    1913 Type 1
    Name:  1913 Type 1.jpeg
Views: 434
Size:  20.1 KB
    1913 Type 2
    Name:  1913 Type 2.jpeg
Views: 437
Size:  20.7 KB
    1937 3-legs
    Name:  1937-D.jpeg
Views: 437
Size:  21.9 KB

“Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value.”
    – Albert Einstein

Dec 2003
    Western Schuylkill County, Pa.
    2 MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO's .......3 Garrett Pro Pointers…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... 2 Sovereign GT's
    37526 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    yea I'd definitely date these Indians

Name:  y.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  6.7 KBName:  images.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  10.7 KB

Buffalo's don't float my boat though.

& NIC-A-DATE is correct a drop on the date of most Buffalo's will bring it out.
    Doesn't work for me on Dug-uns though
    Last edited by jeff of pa; Apr 06, 2014 at 07:36 AM.
    Nitric, agme and Peyton Manning like this.

us
    Feb 2010
    Missouri
    1924 times
    Marc - I have nic-a-date and it works very well. It's very cool to see the date appear on a dateless buffalo. That being said I don't ever use it on my own CRH finds. Not really sure why other than for my personal finds it doesn't bother me that they're dateless. So reason I don't get arrowheads 'restored' when I find heartbreakers. Some times I'll grab 20-30 dateless buff's from the ole LCS and nic-a-date them. Have find several keys and semi-keys that way.

us
    Feb 2011
    America
    1632 times
    I would treat it to make the date appear, a dateless buffalo isn't even worth 2x face value. I have plenty of dateless buffs that I have been considering using nic-a-date on also, do what you feel is the right thing to do
    jeff of pa likes this.
    HH
    BuffaloBoy

us
    Feb 2011
    America
    1632 times
    your best bet is to see if the dealer will sell you the mint marked buffalo nickels and you'll make out very well with keys that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitch View Post
    Marc - I have nic-a-date and it works very well. It's very cool to see the date appear on a dateless buffalo. That being said I don't ever use it on my own CRH finds. Not really sure why other than for my personal finds it doesn't bother me that they're dateless. So reason I don't get arrowheads 'restored' when I find heartbreakers. Some times I'll grab 20-30 dateless buff's from the ole LCS and nic-a-date them. Have find several keys and semi-keys that way.
    HH
    BuffaloBoy

Dec 2003
    2 MINELAB EXPLORER SE PRO's .......3 Garrett Pro Pointers…… Sovereign XS-2 Pro ....... 2 Sovereign GT's
    37526 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloBoy View Post
    I would treat it to make the date appear, a dateless buffalo isn't even worth 2x face value. I have plenty of dateless buffs that I have been considering using nic-a-date on also, do what you feel is the right thing to do
    yep an acid treated (damaged) 1918- D 8 over 7 is worth close to $1000.00 to the right collector
    that same Buffalo without a date showing at all may be worth a dime to come kid
    for show and tell

us
    Dec 2009
    AR
    Minelab E-Trac
    1069 times
    To me, acid-dated looks no worse than worn slick. There is no wrong answer here. Its your coin. Whichever you prefer is the correct answer.

With that said, you can only increase the value by using nic-a-date. It will not (cannot) lower the value, but should a rare date appear, your coin jumps in value. For example, I have seen well-done acid dated 1913-S T2's sell for over $20 on ebay. That's quite a jump.
    SilverFace likes this.

Dec 2003
    37526 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkieBassMan View Post
    To me, acid-dated looks no worse than worn slick. There is no wrong answer here. Its your coin. Whichever you prefer is the correct answer.

With that said, you can only increase the value by using nic-a-date. It will not (cannot) lower the value, but should a rare date appear, your coin jumps in value. For example, I have seen well-done acid dated 1913-S T2's sell for over $20 on ebay. That's quite a jump.
    I've seen them get a green Tinge to the date area after the acid but yea, no Biggie

us
    Feb 2010
    Missouri
    1924 times
    There's no value in a dateless Buff so there's no downside at all to nic-a-dating them. I've found them in circulation that had already been nic-a-dated.

Buff - like you said, if I'm going to grab some out of the dateless bucket I always grab ones that are mint marked.

us
    ebay "ulster-relic"

Dec 2012
    port ewen ny
    AT-PRO
    7436 times
    Honorable Mentions (2)
    NICADATE revealed the following: 13 T1, 13 T2, 14 (4), 14S, 15, 15D (2), 15S, 16 (4), 16D (3), 17 (5), 18 (3), 18S, 19 (4), 20 (3), 21, 23, 25 (2), and 26D. be sure to finger wash before and after with mild soap and water. tiny drop in date area only, use a toothpick to break surface tension for uniform action on all digits. 1 to 2 minutes, then wick liquid with a tissue and wash. repeat if needed. treated area will be slightly grainy with light color change. will try listing some treated ones on ebay as a lot with full disclosure and see if there is any interest.

Mar 2014
    13 times
    Does anyone know if nic-a-date would work on a standing liberty quarter?

us
    Aug 2011
    Silverville
    476 times
    CRHing
    Quote Originally Posted by iontyre View Post
    I think it just works with nickels because of the composition of the coins, but I sure wish there was something like nic a date to use for SLQ's also, I've got plenty of those I'd like to know the dates of too lol.
    jeff of pa likes this.

Feb 2013
    1164 times
    Quote Originally Posted by iontyre View Post
    no.
    Check out my eBay store - buy directly and save 10% off your purchase!
    http://stores.ebay.com/nocommoncentscoinsandmore/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links