Some questions and general discussion

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some of you may know I have just recently started hunting. So far I have not found one bank that will order me halves on a regular basis. Do they really get charged per box when they order coins? Several times I have had the "lead teller"(or whatever the hell they are) offer to order me boxes after I purchase what they have on hand from them. Every time this has happened the a manager type has intervened(someone who seems to be a step up from lead teller) and says they are very expensive to order and that they won't do it without charging me. I am lucky enough to live in an area where they are literally probably 7 branches of my bank within 15 miles of me so I have been able to just randomly stop in and in most cases get a box of halves, also whenever I make a trip up to my folks I take advantage and visit banks along the way. Either way I was wondering what some of your tactics were for getting boxes ordered, it would be really nice to just drive to a bank knowing the have it and not have to drive around hit or miss style. Do you guys that regularly get boxes have say 5 banks close and you get one box a week from each of them or are you getting multiple boxes from one bank? Just getting a little frustrated, I really enjoy this hobby but with the warm weather coming I will be back to work for the season any day and will no longer have the luxury of time to drive around. One positive thing about half shortages is it has forced me to try other denominations.
Just a note I got several 2014 quarters last week in a box, not entire rolls, just some scattered. Found my first couple double dies this week and a few RPM, I like to take my time with the coins, there are some pretty cool errors out there. Did my worst box of cents ever tonight....only two wheats and one was an ender. O.k. those were random thoughts, thanks for any replies or help.

Upvote 0

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Depends what banks you're dealing with, big banks don't charge fees, but smaller ones do

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
So far I've never been confronted with the fee problem. I remember a couple of years ago I did have one p/u bank that I was getting 2 boxes a week from tell me they would "have to" limit my box order to just one box per week but I didn't really mind because my boxes from that bank had really started to get lousy and I had one or more other banks I was ordering from at the time.

But it seems kinda strange if the boxes are so expensive to order how u have had such good luck getting boxes of halves when u just randomly stop by banks. I rarely ever just randomly find boxes of halves from banks that I don't order from. But I guess Im kinda lucky where I live that I have such good p/u and dump banks so I can get as much as I want from ordering - which right now isn't that much though. And I even have other banks that I don't currently order from offer to order boxes for me if I want. I probably should make more of an effort to take advantage of my good ordering and dumping situation and try and increase my volume a little more.

Good luck to u and H$H!

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a bit annoying and frustrating trying to get orders going...

I dont get what the big deal is, its still a coin being minted every single year, but most banks wont do it... saying its "special orders" etc.... very frustrating I know.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting stuff. I guess I have been somewhat lucky with the loose boxes I have been able to get but the problem is when having to use soooo many banks to acquire the random boxes it limits my dump banks. If I were able to use a couple banks to get boxes for me on a regular basis I would have five dump banks easily, but now that I have had to use so many to grab coins from obviously I won't be dumping there. I have one box coming Wed. I managed to order over the phone, but I know these guys think it's a one time deal.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banks or branches?

Keep in mind, when people say, dont pick up and dump at the same bank, that means BANK(BOA, WF, Chase, etc...), not branch...

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And ya you're lucky finding boxes of halves really without having to order them-the only time ive found full boxes that I didnt order were ones that someone else ordered and never came into get-

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of you may know I have just recently started hunting. So far I have not found one bank that will order me halves on a regular basis. Do they really get charged per box when they order coins? Several times I have had the "lead teller"(or whatever the hell they are) offer to order me boxes after I purchase what they have on hand from them. Every time this has happened the a manager type has intervened(someone who seems to be a step up from lead teller) and says they are very expensive to order and that they won't do it without charging me. I am lucky enough to live in an area where they are literally probably 7 branches of my bank within 15 miles of me so I have been able to just randomly stop in and in most cases get a box of halves, also whenever I make a trip up to my folks I take advantage and visit banks along the way. Either way I was wondering what some of your tactics were for getting boxes ordered, it would be really nice to just drive to a bank knowing the have it and not have to drive around hit or miss style. Do you guys that regularly get boxes have say 5 banks close and you get one box a week from each of them or are you getting multiple boxes from one bank? Just getting a little frustrated, I really enjoy this hobby but with the warm weather coming I will be back to work for the season any day and will no longer have the luxury of time to drive around. One positive thing about half shortages is it has forced me to try other denominations.
Just a note I got several 2014 quarters last week in a box, not entire rolls, just some scattered. Found my first couple double dies this week and a few RPM, I like to take my time with the coins, there are some pretty cool errors out there. Did my worst box of cents ever tonight....only two wheats and one was an ender. O.k. those were random thoughts, thanks for any replies or help.

:coffee2: Don't know if this will help. I do 4 boxes of halfs a week. I get them on 4 different days (1 per day) from 4 different bank branches. I do have a account at all the banks. I have had banks I don't have a account with offer to order me boxes but I haven't had the need to take them up on it. I think banks appreciate it more if you don't order multiple boxes from them as it takes up room in their coin vaults until you come get them. From what I've seen the coin vaults are very small. You need to go to the different banks & see what you can work out with them. All my pickup banks know I'm a coin collector & I won't be returning the halfs to the bank. Let them know you will not be returning the coins to them.
HH
Gary

beebs88

May 5, 2013
For me its different from branch to branch and the rules seem to change depending on who is working that day and the mood they are in. I went into one last week and got 2 boxes dimes and a box halves and today they wanted to charge a fee for 1 box dimes. Went to branch down street and got 2 boxes dimes no problem. Having trouble getting them to order halves again though. Same thing, special order, fees, blah blah blah. On to the next one.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great advice guys. Closest I have come to getting boxes ordered so far is having a manager tell me what day she will have more and that I can come get them. I think she is basically replenishing the supply for me, without blatantly admitting she is getting them for me. She is by far the best manager I have dealt with and she knows I collect them and also that she is not getting them back, she really got a kick out of the magicians coin I brought in to show her. I plan to open accounts at two additional banks this week to open up options. No coins for me today, first day since I started I didn't do any coins. Spent the day dumping excess cents and nickels I have accumulated along with a box of halves, feels good to have everything cleaned up and nothing to dump tomorrow, also feels good knowing my girl at the bank I like has a box waiting for me tomorrow although the boxes from that bank have been particularly skunky.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What doubled dies and rpms did you find?

Keep in mind I am very green but I found what I think are some cool coins. Thought I would post a couple pics for you, anyone can feel free to tell me what I found is not what I thought it was.

Here is a nickel. Note the mint mark and year. I think it is a DD but am still not clear what the difference between a DD and machine doubling is.

Here is what I think is a RPM cent.

Here is a 1982 P half dollar. I noticed this doubling on it but not sure what category it falls under. Note U N I have strong doubling.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh and I also found a 1973 D half dollar double die but the doubling is pretty subtle and without natural light I couldn't get a good enough pic to post. If you would like to see it I can try a pic tomorrow. If any of you collectors out there feel I have identified these coins incorrectly let me know.

Numismaniac

Bronze Member
Apr 1, 2010
Hi, great finds. Your half dollar is most likely machine doubling. If you can get your hands on the Cherrypickers Guide, it has good descriptions and pics of ask the different types. Machine doubling happens when the coin is struck not when the die is made. If you look at your pic of the half you see how the doubling is like a shelf off the letter, that usually indicates machine or strike doubling.

Keep hunting!

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi, great finds. Your half dollar is most likely machine doubling. If you can get your hands on the Cherrypickers Guide, it has good descriptions and pics of ask the different types. Machine doubling happens when the coin is struck not when the die is made. If you look at your pic of the half you see how the doubling is like a shelf off the letter, that usually indicates machine or strike doubling.

Keep hunting!

I have the Cherrypickers guide but your description of the machine doubling makes it easy to understand. So do you think that nickel is a DD?

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info! Man I really thought that nickel was a double die. So from what I have read in the links you provided it seems MD is pretty common therefore would you assume these coins have little value above FV?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions