How many of you keep your post 2001 halves?

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Upvote 0

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Just curious if I am the only one on here that gets a little excited when I find a 2002 or newer half dollar. Was looking and my Red Book and to put this in perspective there were less P and D halves minted in 2012 than most years proofs. I am thinking finding a nice post 2001 is about the same as finding a proof, I love finding them.

When I started out hunting, I would keep all that I found.

I keep one really nice one of each kind (P, D, and S) and throw the rest back for someone else.

The only exception I made was a 2009 (don't remember if it was a P or D) that was a little scratched up that I drilled a hole in and made my girlfriend a keychain for our anniversary.

Last edited:

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Found about 800 of them in a bag one time, after having them listed for about a month on ebay, i finally sold them for about 15 dollars profit....not worth it in my opinion. Kindof like if you were going to hoard 40% halves when they came out in the 60s. Yeah they may be worth aomething some day, but how long? So many times with coins, you have to wait till theyre valuable to keep them for it to make sense

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
I keep a set of CuNi clad Kennedy Halves 1971-Present and dump the rest.
The only thing lower than the mintage of NIFCs halves is the demand for NIFCs halves.
Could demand rise? No one knows the future.
If the mint stops making them or changes the size or design of half dollars. That might change demand.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...The only thing lower than the mintage of NIFCs halves is the demand for NIFCs halves...

^This^

I too kept them all at first. Let's face it, its more fun to find keepers than to not find keepers. MUCH quicker than I expected, I had found a bunch (~1000) of NIFCs. I asked around hoping to trade some of my low mintage, great condition NIFC halves for a little discounted silver. I didn't get a single taker at 55 cents each in trade. So I did a little research. I watched auctions on ebay for NIFC halves. Occasionally, they would indeed sell for a premium. More often than not, they did not receive a single bid or sold for an amount that after fees and shipping actually cost the seller money.

Look at the 1987 half. That coin is now 27 years old. There is very little demand for that coin. In my opinion, that bodes well for predicting the future value of 2002-present non-silver halves. Even if demand picks up sometime in the future (which I doubt), I believe it will be for high grade, MS examples and not circulated examples.

Now, taking all of that into account, don't let me or anyone else tell you what to collect. While I do personally think you're likely wasting your time, and using money that could be more wisely invested if your hoping for a future return on clad NIFC halves, coin collecting does not have to always be about money. Collect what you enjoy and you can never go wrong...regardless of what its "worth."

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just curious if I am the only one on here that gets a little excited when I find a 2002 or newer half dollar. Was looking and my Red Book and to put this in perspective there were less P and D halves minted in 2012 than most years proofs. I am thinking finding a nice post 2001 is about the same as finding a proof, I love finding them.

:coffee2: I collect halfs. From 1971 on halfs I only collect non-silver cameo proofs, all silver coins & NIFC. I collect 1 each of the non-silver cameo proof & NIFC. The rest I throw back into the wild for someone else to find.

iontyre

Mar 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm keeping mine for now, but I don't have any duplicates yet (except 2012 - 2014 where I bought rolls from the mint) so I need them for my set.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Ive still been keeping them too but I think Im gonna start limiting the ones I keep to just the nicest condition ones I find, AU or better, esp since I got 12 x 2001-2006 P & D unc Mint rolls just last week. They can start to accumulate after a while and tie up CRHing funds.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everybody used to keep them in the beginning, but then you realize once you start searching halves in volume that if you kept all the post-2002 halves, you'd have all your money tied up in them. I keep only the finest examples.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everybody used to keep them in the beginning, but then you realize once you start searching halves in volume that if you kept all the post-2002 halves, you'd have all your money tied up in them. I keep only the finest examples.

Exactly-

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do not keep them nor did I ever. I think everyone else should keep them though. As many as you can fit in your house.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been keeping them but like some of you have mentioned they are starting to stack up and cut into the money I keep in coin circulation. Funny thing is I have yet to find a 87, I have 3 Ben's and two Walkers but not one 87! I'm not complaining!

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I have been keeping them but like some of you have mentioned they are starting to stack up and cut into the money I keep in coin circulation. Funny thing is I have yet to find a 87, I have 3 Ben's and two Walkers but not one 87! I'm not complaining!

I do keep all the '87 halves I find. I haven't found as many of those as I have other NIFCs (I think I have like 4 or 5 D and 1 P, plus the P and D that are in my Intercept Shield album).

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep my grandchildren's birthdates. Once I have $100 worth of said date, I cash them in, and buy Silver Eagles or Bars. A little here and a little there adds up. My goal is to leave a little silver to my grandbabies.
apush

maine_Jim

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2008
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
I'm in the keep single example group. There is money to be made from them but it takes an effort. First go to your local gold & silver buyer and get some dansko half dollar books. Get the used ones as they are cheap. Then make date sets and sell them locally via live auction, craig's list or try ebay. Takes some work but people at the live auctions do crazy things.

Maine_Jim

jamesandsons

May 14, 2013
WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold a set of 2002-2012 P&D for $33 on ebay recently. I think that's the 3rd set I've sold. Not a bad little profit if you put the whole run together like that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread