Road trip

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll spend the good half of a Saturday every now and then, so drive an hour or whatever, hunt for a few hours, and then go home to continue my day. But I haven't done a trip like that in months, not worth it in reality.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My road trips consist of roughly 100 miles in any direction from my house.

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
My last road trip was over 100 miles and included tolls. Didn't get any halves or large dollars and found a clad proof quarter and one silver dime. Not worth my time when I have plenty of options close to home.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My longest was almost 500 miles in a day. I left my house well before daylight to be at a bank 100+ miles away as soon as their doors opened in the a.m. only to not return back home until after dark in the p.m. I believe I visited 77 banks that day. My "normal" trip was ~300 miles and ~50 banks.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been on some long road trips, but most of my really long ones are done in conjunction with something else that I actually have to do in that direction. A good example is yesterday: I went fishing 120 miles from my house yesterday and the fish weren't biting so I took the long way home to hit a bunch of banks. See my "Thanks Donna" thread for the results. Out of the 200+ road trips I have done there have only been two (including yesterday) that I would consider a good return on the time invested.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the time road trips aren't worth the time and money invested (gas, wear and tear, etc); however, we're all out there to get the mother load, which inspires us, or at least me, to keep on hunting. :)

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My longest road trip was about 100 miles one way. I took my son to a small town with me, and we planned to have a buffet lunch together & hang out and talk, etc., so even if we didn't score any silver, it would be a fun quick trip together. I had called ahead to about 4 or 5 banks there, and was planning to pick up a few hundred dollars in halves. It ended up being one of my best scores - found exactly 100 silver halves!

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've done a few totaling about 100 miles. Total skunk trips. I check random banks when I'm traveling but don't think I'll make a dedicated CRH trip.

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only gone out of my way for a road trip on a couple occasions, I dont remember them being worth it for the most part.

Now with that being said this whole hobby is a numbers game in one hand and complete luck/timing on the other. I also believe those two hands also apply together. lucky for me if i go to any of the bigger cities around me there is always at least 10 banks, if its a CU then im probably in the shared banking and can use it like my own bank, and for the most part the major banks, KEY, TD, will dill with people off the street. i think if i was to go out of my way for the day to one of these towns i would be lucky to find enough silver to pay for the gas/time. but on the other hand, the only way im guaranteed to not find anything is to not walk in and ask.... but i cant afford to just go out of my way al the time, i can however stop at every bank to, and from my daily adventure. still eats up alittle extra time and gas, but if im going to that town anyway.. I also look a the other rewards..

new possible pickups/dumps
a friendly and helpful teller
banks that regularly stock halfs (and they produce)
banks that have had bad CRHers experiences

all of these are things ive learned from my last 2 weeks of hunting new grounds.

1 is the town im moving to, and a teller was more then happy to sell me all her halves (520) from a guy that has something to do with the state fairs, and brings in all the rolled change.. i found 2 40%ers beside each other in a CWR and there was also around 8 MWR (the white ones with the black top and bottem) and every other roll had a silver, man would i have loved to have the box that came from!

the other bank is in grounds im going to hunt while my wife is drilling up north, and they keep boxes, i was able to buy 3 boxes in one day from them, so i going for broke next time.

a all out road trip may not to feasible, but the only way it certainly is is only if you dont try. but if you are driving past a bank, and its open, and you have the time.....

i got away from hunting hunting when i started just getting boxes, and one skunky pickup encouraged me to stop by a local bank.. and wall out with about 143$ face value of silver coinage. HH

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and in hitting lets just say all the banks you pass on your way to dump a couple skunky boxes, like ive been doing, ive usually been able to keep up with the one silver a week goal

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread