onfire

Silver Member
Nov 30, 2004
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
250 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know if anyone else has encounter this. last 10 box's I got out of the bank concerned me. Someone has actually found a way to remove the silver from clad. Every box I opened the coins were gray in color They all had some sort of film on them I had to wear rubber gloves to crack them open. I took a few back to the bank and needed a explanation they said just run them threw the counter and don't make a big deal out of them. They came from the feds in Chicago and it would be impossible to find iut who would be doing this. In fact they may even feel at this point they are counterfeit. I kept a few for pictures at a later date. very weird.

Upvote 0

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Holy ****.
Todays lesson kids will be about the composition of US coins.
For the longest time, nickels have been made out of 75% copper, 25% nickel. They've always been this and always will be like this.
Dimes, Quarters, and Half Dollars were all 90% silver, 10% copper up until 1964. After 1964, these coins were/are made with a 91.67% copper and 8.33% nickel composition.
Pennies were copper pre 1982, and zinc post 1982, with 1982 having both.
There is NO SILVER used on modern day coins except for the rare silver plated coin, or the 90% proof coin, which has a very low mintage figure.
Any questions?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you just got someones Dug Coins Cash-in
either retrieved from the Ground or Water.

Dates ?
Clad sitting for 40 years in the air or in boxes, or barrels
may loose it's silver shine too :dontknow:

Where are these pics ?

Last edited:

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lesson continued...

For the longest time, nickels have been made out of 75% copper, 25% nickel. They've always been this and always will be like this.
Be aware that the US Nickel is an alloy of copper and nickel. There is nothing "CLAD" about it.
Exception is war nickel. It is an alloy of silver, copper, and manganese. Again, nothing clad about it.

Dimes, Quarters, and Half Dollars were all 90% silver, 10% copper up until 1964.
Also an alloy - an alloy of silver and copper. Nothing "CLAD" about these coins.

After 1964, these coins were/are made with a 91.67% copper and 8.33% nickel composition.
The copper is in the core of the coin and nickel makes the exterior. This arrangement is not an alloy. There is a "CLAD" layer of pure nickel over a core of pure copper.

Pennies were copper pre 1982, and zinc post 1982, with 1982 having both.
Pre-1982, cents were an alloy of mostly copper. Some years, the copper was alloyed with zinc. Some years, with tin.
During and post-1982, composition was changed to be zinc core and copper coating. This arrangement is not an alloy. It is a bit different from a "CLAD" layer, but it is pure copper over a core of pure zinc.

Another "CLAD" coin of interest is 1965 to 1970 Kennedy half dollar.
The core of this coin is an alloy of 21% silver, 79% copper. The exterior is a clad layer alloy of 80% silver, 20% copper.

Last edited:

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks for the info loose change. Cheers.

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A picture is worth a thousand words..I think I speak for all when I say that we are very confused..I would like to know what is causing this phenomenon just in case anyone else hunting runs into this then we would have a heads-up. The last ten boxes were like this? has anyone else experienced this? Were the wrappers soaked in this "film"? So please throw some pics up, I for one, am very curious. Thanks for sharing..ddf

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This Post Cracks me up...The OP is assuming someone is spending money to remove the "Silver" (Nickel) Layer from the coins and then returning .

i would love to hear his theory on JFK

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This Post Cracks me up...The OP is assuming someone is spending money to remove the "Silver" (Nickel) Layer from the coins and then returning .

Lots of theories, and many facts. Here's one for you: the guy was a dirtbag, and it sucks that he's on our half dollar. Putting him on the half was merely an emotional response to his tragic death. Too bad we didn't commemorate someone who did someone worthy of remembering (like Dr. MLK Jr, for example).

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Lots of theories, and many facts. Here's one for you: the guy was a dirtbag, and it sucks that he's on our half dollar. Putting him on the half was merely an emotional response to his tragic death. Too bad we didn't commemorate someone who did someone worthy of remembering (like Dr. MLK Jr, for example).

Whoever killed JFK, killed the US half dollar coin.

The half dollar was widely used before 1964 - as common as the quarter dollar. In 1964, fractional coins were debased and Gresham's law took a toll on all coins of intrinsic value (taking 0.10, 0.25, 0.50 coins from circulation). The dime and quarter dollar clad replacements were of zero novelty value and zero intrinsic value so they quickly replenished circulation inventory of those coins.

But, because of Kennedy's death, the new design half dollar replacement was vigorously hoarded. So, Gresham's law took all pre-1964 halves from circulation and the novelty of Kennedy being on the replacement half prevented the mint from being able to replenish circulation inventory.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to medal detect the grassy knoll ( knowle, noll, knowle ) awe hell, the grassy hill!!!

Whats crazy, is I drive by it at least once a month for work. I would lvoe to detect it to...I would just have to step over the bums that sleeps there daily..lol

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I couldn't agree more :occasion14:

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am still confused. Wth is the op talking about?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread