mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Canadian members have reported that the pickings are slim as the government has actively culled out all the goodies. I save copper cents, pure nickel nickels and the occasional silver dime that I find in American coinage.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just based on what I've read on this forum, I'd guess you could find just about as much, if not more, Canadian silver in a Northern U.S. state than you could in Canada.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just based on what I've read on this forum, I'd guess you could find just about as much, if not more, Canadian silver in a Northern U.S. state than you could in Canada.
I think this is true. Canadian coinage is common here in NY and people like to get rid of it in rolls. Sometimes annoying and sometimes silver.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
If any Canadian hunters want to sell some nickel nickels, shoot me a PM, looking to pick up ~100lbs or 100f.v. Price will be discussed. Thanks.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If any Canadian hunters want to sell some nickel nickels, shoot me a PM, looking to pick up ~100lbs or 100f.v. Price will be discussed. Thanks.
Just curious omega, would you be looking to sell them or just sit on them? Are they worth more than face right now?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
unless one gets "old cwr" rolled coins there will be little to no silver in it --the canadain govt in 2000 started culling all coinage sent in to remove all the valuable metals form its coinage --replacing them with zinc cents and steel clad coinage instead.

OP
OP
S

silver seeker

Nov 12, 2013
California
Primary Interest:
Other
1946-1951 & 1955-1981 are 99.9% nickle, I'm talking to a guy that's in Canada, I just received 80% canadian silver coinage I got from him @ spot and might be getting some pure nickle 'nickels'. I'll keep you guys posted...

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought 500 face of Candian change off Craigslist.

BIG MISTAKE

the guy had culled all the nickle, copper, and silver out of it. should have known.

Now I have LOTS of damned Canadian change.

I did ebay all the Cents... That made me a little green.

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
Hey peeps, Is there any peeps here that CRH canadian coins? If so, what are your averages? Is the silver drying up there too? Any comments will help...
I live near Canada so there is a fair amount of Canadian coins in the penny, nickel and dime MWR & CWR that I search. Also the magnet on the coin counter at my favorite dump bank usually has a few Canadian coins for me.
I go to Canadian a few times a year to CRH, dump my Canadian coins found in US rolls and buy some Canadian Whiskey at the duty free shop (Three 1L bottles of Crown Royal for $59). I used to hit the Canadian penny rolls hard when they were available.
As far as silver goes it, the yield in Canada is lower than the US. The Canadian Mint controls the distribution of coins and they actively cull silver. In the US I find on average 5-7% of my silver dimes are Canadian. I have found silver Canadian dimes in Canada but it is more work.
In the US, I still find on average 50 Canadian pennies per box (many are Zn) and 10 Canadian nickels per box (1-2 are 99.9 nickel the rest 1982-present).

Currently in Canada the only high yield CRHing is nickels. It is not uncommon to find 5-8% of nickels to be 99.9%. Most are 1960-1981, but I have found earlier including a 1922. CWR is better than MWR because of government culling.
I had one amazing box of CWR nickels in Canada that I reported on this site.
KGV x26
KGVI x82
QEII 1953-59 x42
1960-64 x221
1965-81 x954 (including 1967 x2 & 1970 x3)
Plus 2 US war nickels!
Nothing that great since then!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions