cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up my two regular boxes from BofA last night and about half way through I found this commerative half. It is a 1925 Fort Vancouver Centennial.
hudson-o.jpg

Here is the reverse.
hudson-r.jpg

This is a scan from my 2007 Bluebook
hudson-t.jpg

Now I need some help. Is anyone good at grading coins? I know this isn't MS bout could it be AU?

Oh, almost forgot the box also contained a 1959 Franklin a 90% half and 2 40%ers. Only 5 silvers from a box >:( but can't complain :D :D

Upvote 0

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
Nice find. I think it could go AU pretty easily. How does the rim look? any dings? If you can provide a better scan or image we might be able to see more rub marks etc..

65GT350

DrDetector

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
Great find!

I need to keep up my 4 boxes/week average, and hopefully I'll turn up a commemorative. Congrats!

TxTim

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2007
Texas
Detector(s) used
DFX & SE
That is great!
Sure is a great return on investment!!!!

LJ

Silver Member
Dec 23, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find CyberDan!! Nice job. I'm still looking for my first.

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
Here are the values for the coin from Coin Values April 2007 issue

EF-40 - $325
AU-50 - $350
MS-60 - $450
MS-63 - $550
MS-64 - $650
MS-65 - $1700
MS-66 - $2500

silverfinder

Dec 31, 2006
Wonderful find..I'd say it's in MS 60, certainly MS 50, which means it's in About Uncirculated to Uncirculated condition. Congratulations.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a little google search and found out some interesting history of my half.

The coins were sold for $1 each during August and September of 1925, with the majority selling during the weeklong Centennial celebration that began on August 17. Though 50,028 coins were minted, sales were disappointing, and 35,034 pieces were returned to the Mint to be melted, leaving a net mintage of 14,994, including the 28 coins remaining with the Assay Commission. One matte proof was reported by Walter Breen, and two other such pieces are rumored to exist.

The nature of the design openly exposes the high points of Vancouver halves, and this, coupled with the lack of any special packaging or handling, destined much of the issue to suffer from friction and abrasions. In addition, well-struck coins showing the details of the trapper’s hand, face and right thigh and chest are scarce. Wear first appears on McLoughlin’s bust, especially on the cheekbone and hair above the ear and on the knee on the reverse. Although Vancouver halves are not difficult to locate in grades through MS-64, MS-65 or better specimens are quite elusive. Unfortunately, counterfeits of this issue are known: they exhibit many depressions that at first seem to be bag marks, along with tooling marks on the reverse below letters CEN in CENTENNIAL.

An interesting tale involving Vancouver halves was recently revealed. In August of 1926, Governor Charles Sale of the Hudson’s Bay Company purchased 1,000 examples of the Fort Vancouver half dollar. These coins were moved to the Provincial Archives Building in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada in 1974. In the summer of 1982, a caretaker stole them and spent 400 pieces at face value. Needing money for a new car, he took the remaining 568 pieces to a bank in Winnipeg where they were exchanged by a teller for $284 in Canadian funds. The savvy teller then received permission from her supervisor to buy them from the bank at face value. After they were counted out in a coin-counting machine, they were sold to a Canadian dealer for $37,500.

The dealer sold 522 pieces to clients in the United States and Canada and retained 46 pieces for himself. He had checked with both the FBI and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police who then weren’t yet aware of the theft. Although he had received clearance from the authorities, the dealer was eventually sued by the Crown. In the end, he prevailed and retained ownership of the 46 remaining pieces. No attempt was ever made to recover the other specimens.

I wonder if this coin was one of the stolen coins?

I will try and take a digital pic of this (the scan I took looks a lot pixelated) in the next day or so and post it on this thread.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE ---- I just found my best coin ever!!

........reverse. Although Vancouver halves are not difficult to locate in grades through MS-64, MS-65 or better specimens are quite elusive. Unfortunately, counterfeits of this issue are known: they exhibit many depressions that at first seem to be bag marks, along with tooling marks on the reverse below letters CEN in CENTENNIAL.

An interesting tale involving Vancouver halves was recently revealed. In August of 1926, Governor Charles Sale of the Hudson’s Bay Company purchased 1,000 examples of the Fort Vancouver half dollar. These coins were moved to the Provincial Archives Building in Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada in 1974. In the summer of 1982, a caretaker.........

The above is from a story prizmII gave us a link to, it is about my coin.

I took it to my local coin dealer and he pulled out a book on counterfits with close up pics of nicks and marks to look for in fake coins. My coin had two out of 4-5 marks. So he is pretty sure it is a fake. He said China produces a lot of counterfit coins and the book was pretty thick.

I will have a few other dealers look at it and get their opinions.

I asked him if I tried to sell it and listed it as counterfit how much did he think I would get?

Without a seconds hesitation he said "20 years in the state pen" ;D ;D
(guess that question came up before)

65gt350

Mar 6, 2007
California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Toltec 100
Did the dealer weigh the coin? I would not rule it as a counterfeit just yet. It is possible that the used a piece struck around the time yours was. I would think that unless it had all five marks it would not be considered counterfeit. I assume by the dealers comments he was not interested in the coin.

schramm

Dec 25, 2006
Are the counterfeit coins comprised of the same metal?90% silver?

If they are then at least you have one more 90%er to add to your totals.

I would think that if someone had that in their collection it would be locked up or otherwise not easy to get to,like if a teenager were to steal it from their parent as I'm sure is the way alot of the proofs end up in the boxes you guys find.

This would have to be the best half anyone has ever found/reported on this forum,better than the worn barbers and holed seated lib's that excite everybody.Unless they are a key date a dealer will only pay a little more than melt value for them in my experience.

I have never found any roll hunting but have bought some before at the swap meet at what I thought was a great price only to find a dealer wouldnt even pay me what I gave for them. :'(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread