What are the odds...

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks, I think I found something nobody else has found before... it was a common coin, but where it was found made it unusual.

I was going through a box of nickels, I opened a MWR and start flipping tails to heads so I can date check, and all of a sudden I see a dime... but not an ordinary dime, a 1960 silver Roosevelt, inside of a nickel roll! Now I've done 500+ nickel boxes over the years and I think I've found 3 dimes hidden in the machine wrapped nickel rolls. Now, I average 1 silver dime every $400 searched with dimes, (1 every 4,000 dimes), and I've gotten 3 dimes in 1,000,000 or so nickels searched (500 boxes, to make it easy on the math)... So please correct me if I am wrong, but if I did the following math:

1/4000 (for the silver dime average per dime box) multiplied by 3/1,000,000 (dimes found in 500 nickel boxes), and the odds would be 0.00000000075... in other words slim to none...

Has anybody else had similar experiences like what I recently had?
HH
Buff

Upvote 0

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a silver roosie in a CWR of pennies a couple years ago, out of maybe $25,000. It was really tarnished, so it looked like a penny

HH
-GC

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Silver dime in a nickel MWR is not something I'd guess you find every day.... Nice work. I found a regular penny is a nickel MWR this weekend. I thought that was weird.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a really cool unusual find. I found a couple of beat up clad dimes earlier this year in two different mw half rolls and I thought that was kinda unusual but a silver dime in a mw nickel roll does seem extremely rare as your figures show. Just never know where you'll find em with this hobby, but its quite unlikely you'll ever find one like that again. :)

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice find BB. Very low odds on that happening but certainly not zero. I'm waiting to find a Swiss 20 frank gold coin in with the nicks. Even more unlikely than your find but that coin has the same diameter so if one made it into the wrapping machine it could happen.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im just glad you didnt make us all wait around guessing what you found- lol

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
I got a silver dime in a penny roll a few months ago lol

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once found a silver dime in a sealed Half box. It lay between the rolls not inside a roll of halves.

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh yeah, I failed to mention, the nickel roll had 40 nickels in it, so essentially, the silver dime was free!

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going Buff, beating the odds.

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I've got dimes(including silver) in penny boxes, but never a dime in nics.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread