I may have found a 1943 copper penny?!?

jimmyforgotten

Feb 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new to the CRHing world, but I've been going through coins like it's going out of style for a couple of months now; mostly halves, pennies, and some nickels. I've been learning as I go, and for a while the number of penny bags I had to hammer out was overwhelming so I was setting the wheats aside to look at later.

Well I was going through the couple hundred wheats I have with a list of key dates, and I come across a what looks like a copper 1943 in pretty bad shape, copper 1943 was on my list. Again, I'm new to this so it didn't really sink in until I looked at the average sell price for a circulated copper 43. Then it was like getting SMACKED! So of course I'm thinking it just can't be a 43, and honestly it is possible that is a 45, but however I turns out this is a blast!

Not sure where to go from here other than a coin shop, but I certainly need to get it checked out. I'll post a picture and let you have a look as well.

And I thought it couldn't get more addicting!

JF

1943 copper penny.jpg

Upvote 0

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
You gotta be dyslexic or have a piece of crap monitor if you think that looks like a 5. Obviously looks like a 3 in the picture as the coin presently exists; without the oxidation/dirt/marketing and everything else it possibly could be a 5. I literally have no idea why anyone would say it's a 5 now that the clearer pictures are up....

3.png

Pointman

Silver Member
Feb 18, 2013
Arkansas
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
I’ve used about all modern ones but right now: CTX 3030, White’s MXT Pro, XP Deus, Vaquero, White’s TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My father buys about 10k wheats a year and mostly only finds semi-key dates. Very occasionally he will find a few copper plated steel 1943 pennies. Stick a magnet on it to make sure, and if you are REALLY sure that it could be a 1943 copper, then I would not tamper with it and send it to someone for conservation and appraisal.

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
You need to scan it at a 1200dpi resolution, crop it, and then post it on here. It does not look like a real 1943 copper cent to me.

OP
OP
J

jimmyforgotten

Feb 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put a magnet to it, it is copper for sure. I can understand the doubters, as I'm one of them, but as it stands right now this thing says 1943. Whether it was stamped that way, oxidized into that number, or was tampered into it only an expert with the proper equipment can tell from here. However, between the current poor condition, and the unusual circumstances I got my hand on it leads me to believe it wasn't tampered with, but who knows?

I will start looking for a place to take it, and will let you know what the out come is. I mean holy crap, what if this is really the real McCoy? I sure would be a nice feather in the cap for tnet. Just doesn't make any sense, but life doesn't make sense so who knows?!

Thanks for checking it out

JF

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am not a betting man, but I say it's a 5.

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know that fakes are available for sale on ebay. The steel pennies are being copper coated. The magnet will tell the difference.

hokielegend

Nov 8, 2012
east
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know that fakes are available for sale on ebay. The steel pennies are being copper coated. The magnet will tell the difference.

You know if you read the 2nd posting above your's, the OP had already done that :)
Another vote for "5", but this is from a person who sees the 2013 year dimes as "2015"...

LooseChange

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is a '43 (and is not copper plated steel), then it is surely counterfeit.

Struck counterfeits are mass produced and then artificially "aged" by acid etching, frying in grease, etc.

The gunk on it seems excessive and unnatural. That is a common tactic for the counterfeiters. They know that a gunky, ultra-rare specimen still has value so they slather it in enough foreign material so as to hide the tell-tale signs of counterfeit.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
this isn't some peeing contest where we argue back and forth about what number it is., from the picture, with the dirt that clearly is a three. The OP says it's a 3, the updated picture LOOKS like a 3, and yet we have people saying its a 5? Scan it with a good scanner, but it still looks like a 3, I'm not going to outline the darn thing, just look closely. Everyone calling it a 5 is essentially calling the OP blind IMHO.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is a '43 (and is not copper plated steel), then it is surely counterfeit.

Struck counterfeits are mass produced and then artificially "aged" by acid etching, frying in grease, etc.

The gunk on it seems excessive and unnatural. That is a common tactic for the counterfeiters. They know that a gunky, ultra-rare specimen still has value so they slather it in enough foreign material so as to hide the tell-tale signs of counterfeit.

When Ebay allowed them to sell Bogus coins and called them "Replica's" I used to see 1909VBD and 1943 copper pennies.

they werent steal, nor where they copper. I wish you the best man, shii happens...You may have something, You may not.

I would be taking it someone instead of relying on us to figure it out from grainy pictures. Do you have a jewelers loop? Or Binoculars to take a very close up picture?

mr.landpirate

Dec 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It absolutely positively with out a doubt most likely a penny or a cent but may be a 3 or could be a 5 but the fact remains if it yours and YOU think it is a 43 get it graded. The rest is guess and conjecture.

PatrickD

Jul 23, 2012
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember hearing about people taking 1948 pennies and somehow modifying the 8 to look like a 3.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Soak the coin in some Mineral Oil or Extra Virgin Olive Oil for a week, take it out and while still covered with either oil, remove as much of the corrosion, dirt, grime and verdigris as possible with a green Rose Thorn. The Rose Thorn will not damage the coin in any way and removing some or all of the corrosion, dirt, grime and verdigris, you may be able to bring the Date and other details into the light after many years. Once done, dip in a hot dishwashing liquid and water mixture, rinse with fresh water and pat dry with a soft towel. If you do this, then please post new pics of the coin, so everyone can see whether the Date is 1943, 1945 or other. If it is determined that it is a 1943 Cent with an untampered with Date, then I would recommend sending it in for conservation, certification and possible grading (if they will grade it). Understand that even if it is genuine, it probably will not fetch a whole lot of money due to it's condition even after conservation but who knows.

Frank

Last edited:

DDancer

Bronze Member
Mar 25, 2014
Traveling US to work
Detector(s) used
Current Equinox 600
Past Whites DFX Garret GTI 2500 and others
Prospecting Minelab GPZ 7000
Past SD 2100 GP 3000 (retired)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed. Soak it and get some of those deposits off. Personally it looks like the flat top of a 5 to me but there's just to much obliteration for a good call. Neat find if it is a 43.

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Anybody else getting visions of the show Psych? Theres an episode with a coin show and a 1943 copper cent gets stollen.... "You know i have like 85 buffalo nickens, shawn"

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions