Contacting old congressmen/government officials for the RARE 1974 Aluminum cent

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
The Mint distributed approximately three dozen examples to various members of the House Banking and Currency Committee and the Senate Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs Committee. Nine congressmen and four senators received examples, along with some Treasury officials.
1974 aluminum cent - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia [

Listen here, ain't nobody turn a blind eye to a missing cent in 1974. These old government officials had these 1974 cents and they just kept it in their pocket for demo purposes. They could care less about what was to them "a lowly penny" made of aluminum that they thought were going to be in circulation. Odds are half of them dropped it, or spent it. The real pieces of work returned it, numbered probably one or two at the most. The rest probably held onto them after the program failed, and hid them and said they lost them. So this means that these government officials and their children (and maybe even their children) are still in possession of at least one. There too old to give a darn now and they probably don't care considering they do not have much value in the legal coin market. 1. So they'd probably be happy to sell them if they knew someone was interested. 2. it was passed on to their children and they don't know what they have and it's collecting dust in an old coin jar; I bet if you called them up, and explained the situation they'd probably be happy, and know it would be a good story to tell that they passed on this cent to someone who could make use of it.

Also, you might say, but fiddy, "They're illegal, the mint can confiscate it". Really now? By what power does the mint have to enforce this law using the secret service to collect this coin. Just say it's theirs? I think not. There is nothing on the books that specifically stipulates this mass produced piece of coinage which originally was intended for circulation is property of the mint. They might say it is, and you might actually be led to think it is but such a thing on such notion without much beyond finger pointing would be void for vagueness in any court of law if you were prosecuted for possession of the 74 aluminum cent. Even if they did force the coin off you, you could state it's yours, appeal, make it's way to the supreme court, embarrass the mint and waste their time, and rightfully claim the 1974 aluminum cent.

I don't care who gets the coin, but I need you guys help, I want you to find specifically, the 9 congressmen, and 4 senators, and try to contact them or their living decendants. Ask if their father ever left an aluminum penny/cent around the house or passed it on. They might say sure, they might say no, but god dang it, we here at treasurenet need to get a hold of one of these cents. We need it to be a permenant banner find.

Anyone go ahead and contact them, if any Treasure-net member gets it, I'll be just as happy as if I were the one to have obtained it. Just thank me for coming up with the plan dawgs.

And jeff, if you hear this, I want them to have a permanent banner find if they find one. This is harder to find than the 1943 copper cent (allegedly dispute the millions allegedly made)

220px-1974Aluminumfront.jpg

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread