My new 1 day record for war nickels

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was bummed out about sending away thousands of dollars to pay taxes today and feeling a little down. I stopped at a bank where I pick up 4 boxes of nickels weekly and the teller asked me if I wanted the cwr nickels as well, and of course, I did. She had $130 in cwr. When I got home and started going through them I forgot about taxes for a while. There were 21 war nickels in the 65 rolls, including 4 in 1 roll. Also, I found a '36 buff and a '54 s/d. I still have the 4 boxes to go through. I do this hobby for days like this. I can forget all that other stuff going on for a while. This hobby is kind of like back in the day buying a box of '78 baseball cards, opening all the packs and replacing the Eddie Murray rookie cards with Mark Belanger cards, sealing them up and returning them for a refund.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice score spizz. I rarely find war nicks in cwr. Don't know why that is since I think many people who could recognize other silver coins, don't know about war nicks.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Those were some great rolls. That's more war nickels than Ive found all year so far. Congrats on finding that '54 mint mark error too. I need to go back and check the mint marks on some of my pre-'60 nics to make sure I haven't overlooked any errors. Good luck with the boxes.

OP
OP
S

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
War nickels may be the stepchild of silver coins but you still get the best value for your dollar by buying them at face value. The really worn ones have a look that is fairly easy to spot, but the higher grade ones blend in and aren't easy to see at a glance. Plus, as more and more of them get melted I think the high grade war nickels will increase in value.
Nice score spizz. I rarely find war nicks in cwr. Don't know why that is since I think many people who could recognize other silver coins, don't know about war nicks.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread