Took 10 boxes....but I found one!

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finally found a buffalo nickel. Finding one of these has been my goal since I started doing this and yesterday after finding a peso, Dominican Rep nickel, and a flattened out cent in my nickel roll I finally found this nestled in there. Don't know if you can tell from the pics but I believe it is a 1928 no mint mark. Definitely one of my favorite coins to date.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I will add that nickels have been rough for me so far. I have never found more than one war nickel in a box and quite a few boxes were skunks so I don't have much to show for nickels. Dimes always seem to be either a skunk or 3 silvers, no idea why, but that's my luck so far. Cents and halves are all over the place, one box of cents can have 20 wheats or 3, still haven't found any AM cents and at present my financial situation is keeping me from halves, bought a detector so I will be doing nickels for a while until I go back to work for the season.

xnytxowlx

Sep 15, 2013
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats. Your averages are very low though. Here in PA, I average about 4 war nickels and 4 buffalo nickels every 5 total boxes. I agree about the buffs though... definitely one of my favorite coins to collect too!

Hunter612

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your first buffalo!

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same with me, it took about 8 or so boxes before my first buff OR war. I got a liberty V nick first box, but apparently the more common buffs and wars eluded me.

beebs88

May 5, 2013
Congrats. Your averages are very low though. Here in PA, I average about 4 war nickels and 4 buffalo nickels every 5 total boxes. I agree about the buffs though... definitely one of my favorite coins to collect too!

wow, i'd search more nickels with those results. took me about 10 boxes to find a buffalo and maybe half a roll of war nickels. Dimes I average like 1 in $100. I prefer halves but dimes mak me fell better after a few skunk boxes.

jimmyforgotten

Feb 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin bro! I loves me some buffalos! IDK for sure, but that kinda looks like a 26 opposed to 28? However, I am just looking at a picture. Found me a dateless one the other day that in the right light & angle looked like the year could be 1913! So I decided to put a drop of ferric acid it to expose it and it turn out to be a 1919. I was still pretty stoked!

Hope your averages get a little better over time. I got mine on my second box, and average 1 every almost 2.5 or so.

Congrats!

JF

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on your first buffalo. I found a partial date '28 buff earlier this year myself and I think that one was a rev ender too so that was a really cool find for me. Hope it wont take u another 10 boxes to find your next buffalo but at least there's war nics and other keepers to find which keeps nickel hunting fun and interesting.

HH!

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the replies all! Really like these buffalo's, one of my top three favorite coins along with merc's and walker's. Got another box today and found one war nick and several other ones that danced around the silver dates, a 42(non war), 38, 39, 41 well you get the picture, basically as close as possible to war nicks and buff's without being one. Happy with my one war nick though, beats a silver skunk. Gonna dump and chase tomorrow with another box of nicks, really wish I had a better keeper ratio because they are my favorite coin to sift through.
jimmyforgotten-It is for sure a 28, picture just sucks but I can definitely tell it's an 8. Wonder why my averages suck so bad? I was thinking about it and I live in a very highly populated area with plenty of communities of old folks, think there would be a few more buff's in the mix, maybe it will pick up a bit. I like doing dimes but they go so dang quick because I just check rims, I like something that takes a little time. Again thanks for all the replies, hope to post a picture of another buffalo soon!

xnytxowlx

Sep 15, 2013
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
Other
Picked up $50 worth today from WFC... all MWR. 4 rolls had 2 buffs in each. 1 ender. Total of 13 buffs in 25 rolls. All-time record for me! Had to use nic-a-date on all but 2 of them. Remember to check those 38s, 39s, 51s, and 55s for mint marks! Keep searching! Good stuff is still out there! Good luck!

tyler2277

Mar 3, 2014
Chicago suburbs
Primary Interest:
Other
That seems a little low like others have said but don't worry, it only takes one good box. Best box for me for buffaloes was 4. Keep lookin and you'll find somethin : )

SanMartian

Apr 15, 2013
Skunksville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will make up for lost time. I see multiple Buff boxes in your future.

JimVT36

Jan 19, 2014
Vermont
Primary Interest:
Other
Why are buffalo nickels so fascinating ? I have a few and treasure them all, even the extreme worn ones with no date. Recently, I was introduced to a Hobo nickel which, thanks to the wealth of information found on TNet, has been sent to a group for authentication. Come to think of it, I was born in Buffalo NY- perhaps that's the connection. Congrats on your find.. "GO BUFFALO"

Happy Hunting

Sent from my iPad using TreasureNet

JimVT36

Jan 19, 2014
Vermont
Primary Interest:
Other
Why are buffalo nickels so fascinating ? I have a few and treasure them all, even the extreme worn ones with no dates. Recently, I was introduced to a Hobo nickel which, thanks to the wealth of information found on TNet, has been sent to a group for authentication to determine if the artist is known. Come to think of it, I was born in Buffalo NY- perhaps that's the connection. Congrats on your find.. "GO BUFFALO"

Happy Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread