OP
S

swf29

Apr 2, 2014
Detector(s) used
harbor freight 9 channel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here is another pic with the one in question in the middle. it seems as if it appears a little larger as well, unless it is just because it might be brighter...any answers to this?

OP
OP
S

swf29

Apr 2, 2014
Detector(s) used
harbor freight 9 channel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
picture

this is another picture of 3 1990's with the one in question to the right.

Attachments

• erik3.jpg
    erik3.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 420
Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
For the coin in question, for it to be a 1990 No "S" Lincoln Cent, it would have to be a Proof Cent and the coin is not a Proof Coin. Now, for why the cent is larger than the other two Cents in the one pic and definitely larger than the one Cent in the other pic. I can only surmise that both of the undersized Cents and especially the one in the first comparison pic that does not have much of a rim from Lincoln's shoulder Clockwise around the coin to in front of Lincoln's face, is due to being slightly struck off-center but foremost, the coin was apparently struck on a thinner than normal planchet which did not allow for enough compression expansion during the striking (minting) process for the metal to expand sufficiently into the Collar.

Frank

Last edited:

mAGma

May 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I assume you saw this link in another thread

List of the Top 100 Modern Coins

I think boris the spider put it up.

The coin refering to is number nine on the list. It is a proof with the mint mark missing...only 300 something known

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
Now I have to go look at my 1990 proof set... I've got every set from 1955 up to the 2014 set that arrived in the mail last week. Never heard of the "no S" error.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Now I have to go look at my 1990 proof set... I've got every set from 1955 up to the 2014 set that arrived in the mail last week. Never heard of the "no S" error.

Check for all of the no S varieties on your proof sets! There are several on that list.

OP
OP
S

swf29

Apr 2, 2014
Detector(s) used
harbor freight 9 channel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks guys appreciate it. is it possible there might be a proof coin in circulation and if so. how will i know? from the shine?

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks guys appreciate it. is it possible there might be a proof coin in circulation and if so. how will i know? from the shine?

1964 and earlier proof coins had a mirror-like finish to them.
1965, 1966, and 1967 had "Special Mint Sets" (or SMS), no proof releases for those years.
1968 to the present have an "S" on the coin as the mint mark ("S" stands for San Fransisco, where they are minted.)

The known specimens of no S proofs make it EXTREMELY unlikely that there will ever be one found in a box.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread