Weird Story About Dumping

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:coffee2: I was a the bank doing my half dollar dump (this bank has 2 coin counting machine next to each other) & a young guy was using the other machine. He spilled a bunch of change on the floor but was just ignoring it. I talked with him & suggested that he pick up the coins & run them thru the machine also. He told me he didn't want to be bothered. When he got done, he just left them there & went on the long line to cash in his ticket. I picked the coins up & ran them thru the machine. When I got done, he had just gotten up to the teller. I brought the ticket over to him. It was for almost $6 (dimes, nickels & pennies). I than went back to the other machine to get my stuff. He came over to me & gave me the ticket & said to keep the money. He also left 10 Eisenhower dollars on the machine. He also told me to keep them. So I did. It was very weird to say the least. What would you have done in my shoes?
HH
Gary

Upvote 0

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
:coffee2: I was a the bank doing my half dollar dump (this bank has 2 coin counting machine next to each other) & a young guy was using the other machine. He spilled a bunch of change on the floor but was just ignoring it. I talked with him & suggested that he pick up the coins & run them thru the machine also. He told me he didn't want to be bothered. When he got done, he just left them there & went on the long line to cash in his ticket. I picked the coins up & ran them thru the machine. When I got done, he had just gotten up to the teller. I brought the ticket over to him. It was for almost $6 (dimes, nickels & pennies). I than went back to the other machine to get my stuff. He came over to me & gave me the ticket & said to keep the money. He also left 10 Eisenhower dollars on the machine. He also told me to keep them. So I did. It was very weird to say the least. What would you have done in my shoes?
HH
Gary

Kept it, but that's because I hate to have people just toss money.

I work retail and I've had people throw away whole gift cards that still had money on them (a lady got a free $5 gift card with her purchase and snapped it in half and said she didn't need our 'donation' and said that you can do that when you have an American Express Gold card).

I don't understand people that do that... but then again, I clip coupons, don't have an Amex gold card, and I pick up dirty zincolns off the ground. :)

OP
OP
C

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kept it, but that's because I hate to have people just toss money.

I work retail and I've had people throw away whole gift cards that still had money on them (a lady got a free $5 gift card with her purchase and snapped it in half and said she didn't need our 'donation' and said that you can do that when you have an American Express Gold card).

I don't understand people that do that... but then again, I clip coupons, don't have an Amex gold card, and I pick up dirty zincolns off the ground. :)

:coffee2:That's exactly what I did: kept it. I tried to do the right thing but I don't think he even appreciated my gesture. I'm like you; clipping coupons, don't even have an Amex card period & also pick up pennies off the ground. When I md, I also dig up my penny signals.
HH
Gary

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet score, Thats hilarious he dropped 6 bucks in change lol... I bet he dumped silver too!

I wonder what the people on the other boards think when they see this thread title :P

OP
OP
C

CW3(ret) US Army

Jun 30, 2011
Downstate New York
Detector(s) used
White Spectra V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet score, Thats hilarious he dropped 6 bucks in change lol... I bet he dumped silver too!

I wonder what the people on the other boards think when they see this thread title :P

:laughing9: No silver. I checked for that. I had given it much thought & thought that this would be the appropriate title for this thread.
HH
Gary

Last edited:

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's best to do the right thing, you did Gary, and you were rewarded for it. There is nothing wrong with that! :thumbsup:

You have to wonder what this world coming to when some people can't be bothered to bend over for 6 bucks. :dontknow:

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have kept it, but as you did, I would have offered the guy the ticket first. Good grab!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's just the generation gap.

^This^

Today's younger generations generally do not respect the value of a dollar to the extent that some of us older folks do. Compared to my 88 year-old grandmother, I'm just as guilty. All for basically the same reason: the declining actual value of the dollar.

Our little town twice a year has a city-wide yard sale. My grandmother sets up for this every time. She'll spend hours cleaning/placing many small items priced at 5 or 10 cents. For a nickel or dime, I wouldn't feel it was even worth my time. She grew up during the Depression, and she'll quickly tell you a nickel is better than nothing.

$6 won't buy what it used to. That kid likely felt like it wasn't worth his time to pick up that $6 in assorted change. To me, his actions are wrong, but I'm the type person who wouldn't spend 10 minutes cleaning, pricing, and placing a coffee cup on a table on the hope I might make a nickel, so what do I know? :laughing7:

Last edited:

Rascal

Feb 5, 2012
Western Arizona
Detector(s) used
Number 1 Mark II Eyeball
Primary Interest:
Other
You did the right thing even if he didn't appreciate the gesture. I pick up pennies off the ground because eventually they translate into a bag of coin to turn in. Any free money is always appreciated. Never know, you may end up trading for a roll of customer wrapped that will yield silver.

Rascal

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CW3, I would say you went above and beyond doing the right thing. When he said he wasn't interested in picking them up, that would have been it for me. Free money is great. A couple of points I would make about this situation:
1) He wasn't a crh. None of us would behave like that.
2) There is a good chance he may have swiped or been given the coins from a relative. I think that could explain his cavalier attitude about wasting money.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
You did the right thing, I would have asked once and that was it, I too am the guy who will pick up a penny on the ground, or anyhing else of value for that matter, heck, I pick up washers, dryers, fridges, chairs, scrap metal, you name it and put it in a pile in my backyard, when the pile is big enough( typically once a month) I load it up on my lawn trailer and go get my free money for it at the recycler! You really have to have no shame to do what I do, people look at me like I'm a low life stopping to pickup something off of the side of the road, but hey, I take it and get free money for it so let em look lol. HH, Maverick.

nomad 11

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2009
nomads land
Detector(s) used
any tector i can get my hands on
no need to feel guilty man.what you did was commendable either this kid never had to bust his ass working for a buck or he was a little ******ed.either way i would take it too.and my hats off to you to maverick i used to do the same thing picking up junk along side the road.my back and knees are'nt up to that no more.at first i was ashamed but i grew out of that.its amazing what some people throw out in the trash.first come first served if you dont take it the next guy will.but not so much these days times are tough and even the rich are'nt as hasty to throw things out that are still good usable stuff.people are hanging on to things longer and running them into the ground then throwing them out.anyways treasure is always the best to find.the search continues.HH

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
The $6.00 kid is probably the same person that complains when the price of gas goes up by $.03 per gallon just as he pulls into the station.

ERobertson

Dec 9, 2013
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Whites PRIZM V

GARRETT Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"A fool and his money are soon parted"........kind of

ER

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
You did the right thing, if he doesn't want the coins that is not your problem.
I find plenty of coins:
on the floor near the coin counter,
in the reject tray,
in the trash next to the coin counter,
attached to the magnet

The chuck e cheese tokens, i leave behind

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chief, I agree you did the right thing and went above and beyond, but there is something to be said about the generation gap, i am only 26, but i wouldnt leave behind the dirtiest cent, or pass one up on the sidewalk, maybe i was raised different but a "penny saved is a penny earned" i work hard enough the little pay check i make, and that goes towards bills anyway, so a penny or nickle on the ground is a win! and now it all goes in my sons piggy bank, and when your like me and always scan the ground you can fill it up pretty quick.. with help from the reject bin..

i also agree with whoever said he was probably given the change and thats why he didnt seem to care... CRHer or not, if your taking the time to save change, and cash it in, you want the money... if your were handed a jar of change, or stole it or something, you probably just want to get the hell out of dodge

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread