Teller Tales

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last few weeks I've been expanding my hunting grounds, trying to make new friends, and locations to dump. In doing so I've talked a few different tellers who have told me they too collect, and I always ask them whats the strangest thing they've gotten, and I had two different tellers tell me this past week that someone had brought in American Silver Eagles into the bank as 1 dollar.. I'm sure most of you know this already, but im always interested in the long shot, and crazy stories.. finding a morgon dollar maybe less silver weight, but will useully fetch a higher premium but finding a solid T.Oz for 1 dollar would be pretty cool too!

Anyone else have a "tall tale" from a teller/bank employee? one of the ones i spoke with said they would not take a AGE for 25$, and that they would tell the person, but that they would take ASE all day for 1$... but i think with some of these younger tellers you never know.. HH

Upvote 0

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man can you imagine someone turning in a gold eagle for $25?

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i would have to quit CRHing after that...

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Im sure most of the $ilver dollars the banks get don't get past the tellers which makes them even harder for us to find. I remember at least one teller telling me a couple of years ago that she had some $ilver dollars she got from one or more customers in the past. Unless u have a really nice teller willing to hold on to them for u, finding $ilver dollars is mostly just a matter of very lucky timing. I remember someone a couple of years ago posting a thread about getting a call from a teller at a bank telling him they had some $ilver dollars if he wanted them and he wound up scoring at least 3 or 4 ASE's from what I remember.

My latest teller tale was from one of my dump banks just last Monday. A teller told me her and the security guard split up a loaded dime box she recently opened and each of them got about $20 fv of silver dimes. She told me that was the only box she had ever seen like that one. But Im going back to that bank tomorrow so Im going to double check with her and ask if she has found any other good boxes like that one. She has me tempted to buy a box or two of dimes from that bank myself. I don't think I can get her to set aside any silver for me because both her and the security guard there are interested in finding silver for themselves.

Good luck and H$H!

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats still a good story, and i have found that the tellers that collect/hunt, are usually pretty cool about us dumping so thats a plus

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a story from the other side of the counter. When I was a teller one of the bank customers was telling me about a lady who bought $10 worth of gas and cigarettes with two Indian head half eagles!

Finding a gold coin would be unbelievable. Silver dollars are the one silver coin almost everyone knows about.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a story from the other side of the counter. When I was a teller one of the bank customers was telling me about a lady who bought $10 worth of gas and cigarettes with two Indian head half eagles!

Finding a gold coin would be unbelievable. Silver dollars are the one silver coin almost everyone knows about.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

wow thats crazy! she could of got allot more gas then 10$$

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When it comes to gas, cigarettes and food people will use whatever they can find to pay for them. A manager of a gas station said a guy came in and bought pizza with 2 Morgan Dollars, the next day came in and asked for them back because they were his moms. The manager said sorry they went to the bank with the deposit. They did end up in the managers pocket because she to collects.

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
The last few weeks I've been expanding my hunting grounds, trying to make new friends, and locations to dump. In doing so I've talked a few different tellers who have told me they too collect, and I always ask them whats the strangest thing they've gotten, and I had two different tellers tell me this past week that someone had brought in American Silver Eagles into the bank as 1 dollar.. I'm sure most of you know this already, but im always interested in the long shot, and crazy stories.. finding a morgon dollar maybe less silver weight, but will useully fetch a higher premium but finding a solid T.Oz for 1 dollar would be pretty cool too!

Anyone else have a "tall tale" from a teller/bank employee? one of the ones i spoke with said they would not take a AGE for 25$, and that they would tell the person, but that they would take ASE all day for 1$... but i think with some of these younger tellers you never know.. HH

Not from a bank/teller employee, but I have bought ASEs at face value from tellers before.

Zomotion

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, coinmaster Gt Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a teller who I've built up a relationship with have an ASE come in. She didn't know what is was but knew enough that is was probably worth more than a buck. She took it from the customer as a buck, grabbed a buck out her purse, walked around to the customer line and bought it off another teller. I let her know the value and she was happy. But that ASE never had a shot of making it into my pocket.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been pretty lucky with dollar coins myself. In the past 3 years Ive found 10 $ilver dollars - 4 Morgans almost exactly 3 years ago today, 4 $ilver Ikes, 1 slick Peace dollar last December and an '88 ASE in February 2013. They are definitely some of my coolest and best finds ever. :)

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had multiple tellers tell me about $500 bills being brought in.

I came close to scoring 7 of them just last Fall. A lady was trying to deposit them at the next teller but the bank wouldn't take them. They ended up at the coin store down the street.

OP
OP
S

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats crazy, i only think to ask for old bills when i notice 2$s in the drawer.. il have to keep it in mind, id like to get some silver certificates to throw in with the 90% stuff lol

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats crazy, i only think to ask for old bills when i notice 2$s in the drawer.. il have to keep it in mind, id like to get some silver certificates to throw in with the 90% stuff lol
I had a teller give me a 10 dollar silver certificate for face I traded it for 12 dollars worth of silver.Another teller showed me 2 5 dollar silver certificates she got from a customer. She said she was buying them, I told her about what they were worth and why.
Several tellers "collect silver but not real silver" and give me the 40% for face :) Some dont care and give me "real silver"

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
OP you didn't mean "Teller Tails", did you?

Bank.jpg

Yawnie88

Greenie
Mar 31, 2013
MINNESOTA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am a teller and most of the people I work with don't understand what a silver coin is. I don't try to explain and they don't ask questions. I think it depends on the bank and how long they have been in the business. I rarely take the coins I have a few people that have asked me to save for them and I try but we have so many people that come in for boxes, bags, rolls loose that it usually is hard for myself to help out.

Last edited:

50cent

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2012
Super-Skunksville x1000.
Primary Interest:
Other
I am a teller and most of the people I work with don't understand what a silver coin is. I don't try to explain and they don't ask questions. I think it depends on the bank and how long they have been in the business. I rarely take the coins I have a few people that have asked me to save for them and I try but we have so many people that come in for boxes, bags, rolls loose that it usually is hard for myself to help out.

TELLER ALERT. TELLER ALERT! TELLER ALERT. Alarm has been sounded. (jk dawg, welcome to the site)

Yawnie88

Greenie
Mar 31, 2013
MINNESOTA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haha, the teller is watching jk. It's cool. Teller part time, student part. I love the people I save coins for. Most are older guys, but they have the best treasure find stories ever that's how I found out about this site.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions