old solid rolls are still circulating!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks, I was at the bank the other day, and they recently got a new shipment of coin in from dunbar, so I decide to get a box of pennies, and once I got home, the entire box was 2012p. Strange, it's 2014, and the 2012 boxes are still circulating... :dontknow: ??? :icon_scratch:
Has anybody else seen this happen with 2+ year old coins? I know it wasn't from a customer, either.

Upvote 0

Codes

Bronze Member
Feb 28, 2007
United States
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in 2011 I was still getting solid 2008 nickel boxes.

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe that there are still plenty of 2009 nickels and dimes somewhere in the Fed's vault.

1931s penny was released into circulation a few years later.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
That's kinda cool getting an older solid date box. Would u be able to dump them at your LCS for any small profit? I'd sure like to get some solid date '09 boxes of any denomination at fv if I could find them. I missed out on getting any of those boxes back in '09 or early '10. Btw, has anyone ever got any solid date quarter boxes?

Did u guys know that the Mint is minting S mint circulated quarters now that aren't proof? I just heard about that earlier today, I still don't know if those are NIFC or what. I just don't keep up with what the Mint has been doing the past few years with modern coins.

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Did u guys know that the Mint is minting S mint circulated quarters now that aren't proof? I just heard about that earlier today, I still don't know if those are NIFC or what. I just don't keep up with what the Mint has been doing the past few years with modern coins.

Yep. :thumbsup: :)

NIFC, they supposedly have super low mintages on them; I have a set of 2012-S and 2013-S.

Nice coins, and I got them for very small premium over FV.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep. :thumbsup: :)

NIFC, they supposedly have super low mintages on them; I have a set of 2012-S and 2013-S.

Nice coins, and I got them for very small premium over FV.

That's pretty cool. Seems like the Mint is doing a lot of different things these days. I know they've been minting S mint ASE's lately too. I've stopped buying coins from the Mint like I used to several years ago because it just got too expensive for me and I got discouraged because people like that guy on HSN buy most of the good stuff like the special edition ASE sets and other limited edition coins so those coins usually sell out right away before the rest of us have a chance to buy. So I've pretty much given up on modern coin collecting and numismatics and Im more focused on intrinsic coin values these days.

I think 2009 was the last year I bought anything from the Mint but I might be tempted to buy some of the special edition 50th anniversary Kennedy half dollar sets but those will likely be an immediate sell out too so I may not even bother. Junk silver is more for me these days. :)

H$H!

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
That's pretty cool. Seems like the Mint is doing a lot of different things these days. I know they've been minting S mint ASE's lately too. I've stopped buying coins from the Mint like I used to several years ago because it just got too expensive for me and I got discouraged because people like that guy on HSN buy most of the good stuff like the special edition ASE sets and other limited edition coins so those coins usually sell out right away before the rest of us have a chance to buy. So I've pretty much given up on modern coin collecting and numismatics and Im more focused on intrinsic coin values these days.

I think 2009 was the last year I bought anything from the Mint but I might be tempted to buy some of the special edition 50th anniversary Kennedy half dollar sets but those will likely be an immediate sell out too so I may not even bother. Junk silver is more for me these days. :)

H$H!

The quarters I got on lots of one of each quarter for about $3 or so for $1.25 FV, which I don't care if they become worth a bazillion dollars because it's just something else I've added to my slowly but surely growing collection. Hobby Lobby sells little tiny Whitman coin folders for one of each quarter for a certain year with 5 labeled spots in it, and when I get a new set of them, that's what I put them in. They only cost 99 cents.

I read online that the 2012-S circulation quality strikes have mintages each of something like 1.3-1.6 million per quarter.

My mom gets me a silver proof set each year from the mint for Christmas and I lucked out on the 2012-S silver proof set; the complete set which retailed for like $59.95 or something like that is selling for $125+ because of the very low mintage on the silver proof half and dime (the half has a mintage of 395,443). To put that into perspective, the mintage on the 1909-S VDB cent is ~484,000.

Last edited:

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
The quarters I got on lots of one of each quarter for about $3 or so for $1.25 FV, which I don't care if they become worth a bazillion dollars because it's just something else I've added to my slowly but surely growing collection. Hobby Lobby sells little tiny Whitman coin folders for one of each quarter for a certain year with 5 labeled spots in it, and when I get a new set of them, that's what I put them in. They only cost 99 cents.

I read online that the 2012-S circulation quality strikes have mintages each of something like 1.3-1.6 million per quarter.

My mom gets me a silver proof set each year from the mint for Christmas and I lucked out on the 2012-S silver proof set; the complete set which retailed for like $59.95 or something like that is selling for $125+ because of the very low mintage on the silver proof half and dime (the half has a mintage of 395,443). To put that into perspective, the mintage on the 1909-S VDB cent is ~484,000.

Wow, those are some low mintages. Actually I learned about the S mint circulation strike quarters earlier tonight from that guy on HSH who was selling some quarter sets and if I heard him right I think he said he thought some of the current year S mint quarters might even be as low or lower than the '32S and '32D mint quarters which was around 250,000 I believe. I may have to consider getting some of these if the mintages are that low. And congrats on the 2012 silver proof set - that's a heck of a lot lower mintage than those '99 silver proofs sets that have been selling for such high premiums for over a decade now.

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recently got a box of halves from a bank that was at least a third of it solid 1999 if i remember right, it may have also been 2011.. i meant to put it up with results for that week but i spaced it. i thought it was odd because it was a sealed box with most of the rolls being mixxed dates, and 1 40%, but i had all these rolls, they looked Unc. it was just weird

OP
OP
BuffaloBoy

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. Your box of halves was 1999, the mint didn't release any halves into circulation after 2002. I've heard of people finding sold boxes of halves before, I know I've been getting quite a few super shiny 1994 halves in my boxes lately, but luckily not solid boxes.
I recently got a box of halves from a bank that was at least a third of it solid 1999 if i remember right, it may have also been 2011.. i meant to put it up with results for that week but i spaced it. i thought it was odd because it was a sealed box with most of the rolls being mixxed dates, and 1 40%, but i had all these rolls, they looked Unc. it was just weird

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. Your box of halves was 1999, the mint didn't release any halves into circulation after 2002. I've heard of people finding sold boxes of halves before, I know I've been getting quite a few super shiny 1994 halves in my boxes lately, but luckily not solid boxes.

the thing that really seemed strange is that not all the rolls were like that.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other

That is interesting. If u get a lot of high grade/unc condition coins like that in the future u might consider stopping by your LCS to see if they might be interested in paying u a little over fv for them. The owner of a LCS where I live is willing to pay a little over face for certain date AU or better clad halves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread