Not complaining but.....

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well it happened again. Got a box of dimes last week and got skunked, got one today and got three silver dimes outta the lot. I'm not kidding you guys, every single dime box I have searched either has 3 silver dimes, or nothing. Guess three is my lucky number. Do you guys that do dimes ever get a really good box with 10+ silvers? I'm talking MWR here, not the CWR some of you guys cheat with:laughing7: Here are my three from tonight.

Upvote 0

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1.5 Avg is pretty good. Just need to up your volume and you can build up a pretty good stack of dimes. The most I pulled from a box was 4. I don't usually do dimes. I probably averaged less than 1/box. Some hunters on here that specialize in dimes seem to do ok at it. The key is to have a good dumping scheme - one where u get immediate credit & you're not using a counter that thinks they are pennies. Good luck to you!

SanMartian

Apr 15, 2013
Skunksville
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, dimes are funny. They can be good funny or bad funny. A couple of weeks ago I stopped at one of my pick ups and got 1k in dimes. One box had 6 including a Merc, next had 5, then 3, then 3. 17 silvers for the day. Two days later I went back and got another 1k. Completely skunked.

mxh5891

Feb 27, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The most I have ever gotten in a dime box was 8 rosies. I usually only get one or two per box. I probably have done about 20 boxes with about 7 or 8 skunk boxes.

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Ive only done about 350 boxes, usually I search customer rolled. My averages are about the same with both.
Most ive hit was 7 silvers in a box. The boxes give up more mercs, silver Canadians, and Barbers.

jasonscoins

Apr 11, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a box or two with 10 or more, but those are rare. I average probably around 1.5-2 per box. I think this is typical. My goal each month is to try to complete 1 solid roll.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best dime box came last year around this time- actually I got 3 stellar boxes in 1 week
1 had 15, 1 had 18 then 1 had 19 I was really hoping to hit 20 in 1 box but never happened-
Those were the good days when I was avg 3+ a box and able to fill a roll about every week- oh how I miss those days

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, dimes are funny. They can be good funny or bad funny. A couple of weeks ago I stopped at one of my pick ups and got 1k in dimes. One box had 6 including a Merc, next had 5, then 3, then 3. 17 silvers for the day. Two days later I went back and got another 1k. Completely skunked.

Chances are that either the bank got into an older batch sitting in the vault or they recently got a new shipment in. All of my boxes have codes on tgem, which is generally a good sign to if the boxes are related to each other or not.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best dime boxes were 33 silvers followed by 14 and 12. (The 14 & 12 silver boxes were from the same bank and only 4 silvers were Roosevelt. The rest were mercury dimes)...i haven't had much luck with dimes the past 6 months though. Many people are searching them, at least in my area.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found boxes that had over 50 silvers once but that was a total fluke collection dump. I definitely upped my volume over the next few weeks then...several boxes from the same batch but that was it.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting info guys. Seems the average for most is around 1.5 per box and baddbluff is probably right with simply increasing the volume to stack them up quick. I just find it funny that in my experience I either find none or 3 per box, never just one, never two, either three or skunk. I like dimes, they are easy to dump and a box is light and far less cumbersome than other coins, seems to draw less attention when dumping. I find it funny that accordselux seems to be the only one finding a collection dump in dimes, other than a probable collection dump by BB with 33. Seems the really big finds come mostly from halves, I would be interested to know how many find possible collection dumps in the smaller denomination coins. Think I'll get more dimes tomorrow, if history repeats itself tomorrow will be my skunk box day.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let me tell ya, I've been searching 250+ dime boxes a year, at 6-8 per week, ($250 boxes), and I was averaging 1.2 silver dimes per box average this time last year, but this year I am averaging about 0.67 silvers per box, maybe less... I just did 8 dime boxes for one silver, a 1962d which was an obverse ender.
Halves haven't been as good this year, either.
Interesting info guys. Seems the average for most is around 1.5 per box and baddbluff is probably right with simply increasing the volume to stack them up quick. I just find it funny that in my experience I either find none or 3 per box, never just one, never two, either three or skunk. I like dimes, they are easy to dump and a box is light and far less cumbersome than other coins, seems to draw less attention when dumping. I find it funny that accordselux seems to be the only one finding a collection dump in dimes, other than a probable collection dump by BB with 33. Seems the really big finds come mostly from halves, I would be interested to know how many find possible collection dumps in the smaller denomination coins. Think I'll get more dimes tomorrow, if history repeats itself tomorrow will be my skunk box day.

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been focusing on dimes more lately than halves as my halve boxes have been dismal.

I've been running in that 1.5 avg as well.

It stands to reason though that our averages will go down as they have been minting a billion plus a year of them most every year for quite some time(2009 excluded)

My best box is seven. Had one on Monday with three five pence in it. Go figure.

Will45

Sep 1, 2013
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I get 1 or 2 a box. I've never gotten more than 2 though.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread