My cent searching setup.

Mook

Jan 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Plastic containers left to right...wheats,82's,copper and zincolns.Just recently picked up 18 $50 dollar bags of cents...should keep me busy for a while.

003_zpsd4caf185.jpg

Upvote 0

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
18 $50 bags???? wow thats 90,000 pennies/cents! lol

I would imagine you will be busy for the next couple weeks haha... Hope you find atleast 20 indians!!

HH

OP
OP
Mook

Mook

Jan 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
18 $50 bags???? wow thats 90,000 pennies/cents! lol

I would imagine you will be busy for the next couple weeks haha... Hope you find atleast 20 indians!!

HH

An elementary school in our area did a pennies for patients collection for leukemia and lymphoma and cashed all the change in at our bank.The vault teller asked if we wanted the pennies to search...we also searched the nickel,dimes and quarters...$2,600.00 total.From the dimes,nickels and quarters we found several silver dimes and nickels...no silver quarters.So far we have found one IH,one 43 steel a bunch of wheats (a 1918 just a few minutes ago) and I'm guessing around $50 in copper.We have 13 bags left to search.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
A question here - my poor eyes and date checking....

Do you date check every single memorial - is there an easier way to sort out copper cents versus zinc? I don't know of one....

And then 82's - some are zinc....

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Do you date check every single memorial - is there an easier way to sort out copper cents versus zinc? I don't know of one....

Well, Mook, looks like you've got 'your work cut out for you' for the undetermined future. I hope you find a lot of goodies. That's a lot of pennies!

DeepseekerADS, I've got a scale that I weight the '82s on. Of course, 3.11 grams for copper and 2.5 grams for zinc. I can actually weigh a roll of pennies and tell if there are any coppers in it. I've been finding probably 8 to 10 coppers in each roll I've gone through these last few weeks. I don't do CRH every day. I also have the little USB microscopes for viewing 'interesting' coins. Both scale and 'scope cost me less than $40.

OP
OP
Mook

Mook

Jan 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Yes we date check every coin.Their are machines out there that will separate the copper from the zinc...the ryedale is one of them.The 82's we weigh with a gram scale...3.11 grams copper and 2.5 grams zinc.

Spizzerinctum

Mar 8, 2013
Western Hemisphere
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went "low tech" to check the '82s. I fastened a zinc cent to one end of a popsicle stick and a tiny little bar on the underside exactly in the middle to balance it on. When I put a cent on the opposite end of the stick if it goes down it's copper. If it doesn't it's zinc. It wasn't my idea - I may have read it on T-net. I can't remember.
Yes we date check every coin.Their are machines out there that will separate the copper from the zinc...the ryedale is one of them.The 82's we weigh with a gram scale...3.11 grams copper and 2.5 grams zinc.

Last edited:

MIhunter

Bronze Member
Jun 29, 2011
Southeastern MI
You can buy a ryedale to help you search faster, but they cost $500!

So, if you search $12,500 in pennies and 20% are copper and you net 1.2 cents per penny after selling them on ebay/craig's list
you will have earn enough to pay for your ryedale.
($12,500 x 20% x 0.2 = $500)
At that volume you want to be able to buy bags of pennies. Unrolling $12,500 in pennies would be a drag! ($12,500 in pennies is 25,000 penny rolls)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread