What to do???

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't stop searching, perhaps cut your volume down to 1-2 boxes and do something like nickels or cents, plus I don't think in todays market price, that you can go wrong with buying silver. Do a little bit of both.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
Its hard to advise someone else on personal financial decisions and how they should allocate their money esp since its difficult to predict silver prices in the short term and also because of the unpredictable nature of this hobby. Im confident PM prices are going much higher in the long term but if prices continue to stay low or go even lower over the next several months or more then u might as well use those funds to CRH for at least a while longer if u enjoy the hobby and postpone buying for a while. It also depends on how much u currently already have stored in PM's/silver and what your financial goals are.

Good luck whatever u decide.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive definitely been tempted to dive into my crh fund to buy ag with it so low but my wife would be upset- so i just continue to plow through all the skunks to find the lone 1-2 every 20boxes or so
I do buy all the ag I can when I have extra funny money

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
As much as I love roll hunting as a hobby, I have to be honest with myself.
I still do the occasional hunt, but MUCH less than I used to.
With my gasoline, and vehicle wear and tear savings, I'm able to buy several ounces of silver per week.

fish on!

May 4, 2012
In the bank
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think you should quit hunting. In fact, I think all the people on this site should stop hunting. There isn't any silver left in circulation. It's all been found and you guys are just wasting your time.

7treefrog

Aug 4, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's, Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i think you should quit hunting. In fact, I think all the people on this site should stop hunting. There isn't any silver left in circulation. It's all been found and you guys are just wasting your time.
Im not sure if you are trying to eliminate competitors or are actually being serious?!?!

boss driver

Dec 9, 2012
Detector(s) used
Dues, AT Pro, Tesoro Sand Shark, Excal II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He's serious. I got the last one in circulation today. Everybody should stop immediately and start collecting stamps!!!

Will45

Sep 1, 2013
PA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
try customer wrapped rolls if you can get them. They generally turn out better fir me than the machine wrapped rolls.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm down to 4 boxes of halves a week. They have been super slow in respects to silver finds.

I have a 1000.00 to work with. If things go this way all year, I'd may be better off with silver as low as it is, just to buy it.

What should I do??? Humm.

Odds are, with a $1000 bankroll, ~$19-$20/oz. silver, and ~$3.50 gasoline it would be cheaper to just have the silver shipped to your door.

Of course, most hobbies cost money. Golf, for example, can be ridiculously expensive. I used to be obsessed with bass fishing. It wasn't uncommon for me to drive hundreds of miles and sometimes even pay for a few nights lodging in the quest to catch some little green fish that I wasn't even going to keep.

In the end, the decision is yours obviously. If you look at it from a cost/profit standpoint, you very well may be "losing" money. Most CRHers do. To get a very good approximation of this, take the number of miles you typically drive weekly and multiply by $0.55. If you aren't averaging that amount in silver weekly, then it would be cheaper to buy the silver outright. And thats not even valuing your time. If CRH is more about profit than fun to you, then with this information you'll know what to do.

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been kind of doing both. Buy an ounce here or an ounce there and I have reduced the number of boxes I go through a week. Maybe if you buy some silver you can get that monkey off your back and continue CRH. I know the key to doing this is volume, but like some have mentioned volume does take gas, time, wear and tear, dumping stress for some, and bank cooperation. Ordering just takes money but obviously isn't really fun or thrilling in any way. Basically I agree with BB.

OP
OP
Novapax

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Yeah, I think I'll keep on hunting. If it goes ridiculously low I'm buying. LoL. I think all the silver has jumped into someone else's boxes, cus they aren't in mine. Thanks for all the input.

NP

Dozer D

Silver Member
Feb 12, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Being retired and on Soc Sec, I find it a relaxing hobby to work on. It has rekindled my coin collecting interest again, since I started collecting about 1961 in very deep earnest with my dad, up until his passing in 1987. Really gives me something to DO rather than watching TV 24/7.
Now at age 67, I just wish coulda, woulda, shoulda, saved all the silver coins that went thru my fingers over all those earlier years up to about 1980ish.

Alchemist

Feb 8, 2014
Badger State
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro w/11" coil, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garret ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Odds are, with a $1000 bankroll, ~$19-$20/oz. silver, and ~$3.50 gasoline it would be cheaper to just have the silver shipped to your door.

Of course, most hobbies cost money. Golf, for example, can be ridiculously expensive. I used to be obsessed with bass fishing. It wasn't uncommon for me to drive hundreds of miles and sometimes even pay for a few nights lodging in the quest to catch some little green fish that I wasn't even going to keep.

In the end, the decision is yours obviously. If you look at it from a cost/profit standpoint, you very well may be "losing" money. Most CRHers do. To get a very good approximation of this, take the number of miles you typically drive weekly and multiply by $0.55. If you aren't averaging that amount in silver weekly, then it would be cheaper to buy the silver outright. And thats not even valuing your time. If CRH is more about profit than fun to you, then with this information you'll know what to do.
???
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I drive 100 miles a week, it'll cost me $55? How bad is your gas mileage for goodness sake? :icon_scratch:8-)

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
???
Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I drive 100 miles a week, it'll cost me $55? How bad is your gas mileage for goodness sake? :icon_scratch:8-)
That's only if you're borrowing your neighbors car and the tank is empty.

Normally one pays for wear and tear, insurance, and gasoline costs.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
???

55 cents per mile is just a good approximation. There are more costs associated with driving than just gasoline. Brakes, tires, belts, hoses, oil, etc. all have lifespans that decrease with every mile driven. Every mile driven also lowers the resale value. There are more, I'm sure, but you get the idea.

obediah

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2009
Clarksville TN.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Pro
Im not sure if you are trying to eliminate competitors or are actually being serious?!?!

I gave up searching Boxes over a year ago after near a year of mostly skunks and the few with Silver had too few to make it worth it, and when my order Bank told me that they were getting others who were ordering- that as many as 50 plus boxes of halves a week- they began charging $5 per box so I quit. My Silver finds in 09/10 too was over 4500, in 2011 it dropped to 1600 then in 2012 to just over 200. To many ordering/searching and too little Silver to be found anymore.

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
I just noticed that silver had another sell off today. If it gets much lower I may consider buying more again myself. The problem is though, the lower prices go, the more of a mark up over melt/spot value there is - which is understandable to me because most buyers and sellers seem to understand that PM prices are unrealistically too low and falling prices doesn't seem to really decrease demand any like it normally should in a real free market economy. Silver prices are near where I remember when I was buying 5 - 6 years ago - which is making it quite temping for me to consider buying. I plan to still keep hunting though. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread