Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
A crh'er walks in and dumps $430 worh of halves through the counter, and heads up front to get his cash. Newer teller says, "what did you just run through the counter?"

"Halves" I replied. She says "we have customers asking for them all the time, wish I'd known before you dumped them all!"

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Just 4 40%ers and a chromed '73 that from across the counter I thought for a fleeting minute might be a modern silver proof that she missed. It wasn't a noteworthy find, I just find it humorous when a teller says "Yes we have halves", "but you won't find any silver because I personally have removed it all" and then you hear them clanking together as they're being counted out and are sure that they're going to be sniped right in front of you only to have the sniping teller hand them to you with no apparent idea of what's in her hand. On the flip side I'd love to know what she culled out.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
Oh, and I apologize for the suspense, I wasn't trying to make a 'hanging thread'.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This happens more than you think. I literally have hundreds of silver halves in my stash from banks at which a teller told me I was wasting my time if I was looking for silver as they take it all.

My favorite was when a teller was counting out the halves I had asked for. We both heard "CLANK!" as he was counting and he instantly snatched that one back up and gave it a good look-over. He didn't like what he saw apparently, and placed it back down and it clanked again. He picked it back up, looked at the edge and the date, only to shrug and add it to the stack. 1992-S silver proof, which I believe was my first modern silver proof from CRH.

Guest 1551

Aug 4, 2013
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Other
My favorite was when a teller was counting out the halves I had asked for. We both heard "CLANK!" as he was counting and he instantly snatched that one back up and gave it a good look-over.

if he had taken it i woulda said, hold up man, where's your manager!

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if he had taken it i woulda said, hold up man, where's your manager!

I would have tried to guilt-trip him out of it, but thats as far as it would have went. As much as I wouldn't have liked it, I feel that when it comes right down to it, he has as much right to the coin as I do. This is also the only time I'll refuse to buy clad halves after a teller has gone to all the trouble of retrieving them for me. Otherwise I feel obligated to buy them all, regardless. But, if a teller cherry-picks in front of me, I'll refuse them if I know they're not silver.

OP
OP
Twitch

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
This happens more than you think. I literally have hundreds of silver halves in my stash from banks at which a teller told me I was wasting my time if I was looking for silver as they take it all.

My favorite was when a teller was counting out the halves I had asked for. We both heard "CLANK!" as he was counting and he instantly snatched that one back up and gave it a good look-over. He didn't like what he saw apparently, and placed it back down and it clanked again. He picked it back up, looked at the edge and the date, only to shrug and add it to the stack. 1992-S silver proof, which I believe was my first modern silver proof from CRH.

That's a great story. One of my favorite all-time finds is an '02-S 90% proof. Got it from a teller tray and it got a 2nd look from the teller then he just handed it over.

I found another 9 40%ers and a '64-D opening yesterday's boxes today.

cooper36

Nov 30, 2011
east coast
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just 4 40%ers and a chromed '73 that from across the counter I thought for a fleeting minute might be a modern silver proof that she missed. It wasn't a noteworthy find, I just find it humorous when a teller says "Yes we have halves", "but you won't find any silver because I personally have removed it all" and then you hear them clanking together as they're being counted out and are sure that they're going to be sniped right in front of you only to have the sniping teller hand them to you with no apparent idea of what's in her hand. On the flip side I'd love to know what she culled out.

several dont fool with the 40% they keep the 90%, some tell me what they find.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread