Its happening again

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
How's everyone doing? It's been a while since I last posted. TimZim still have more silver in his vaults than South America? I had to give the hobby/addiction a break last year due to priorities. My kid is now 1 year old and is (thankfully) sleeping through the night. I'm starting to think I'll have more time to look through some coins.
It's been a perfect storm of temptations attacking me recently. Was browsing craigslist the other day and I ran into a posting for silver coins selling really cheap. Needless to say it tickled my fancy. Then 15 minutes later the episode of "Pawn Stars" aired with that guy that had $110,000 worth of silver coins/bullion. The final nail in the coffin was finding a '64 Kennedy behind my dresser. Even though it wasn't a true find in the wild the instant rush of "finding" silver hit me.

I have the itch again. I'm thinking about starting again. Slowly at first then build my bankroll up again.

Question: How's the silver in the wild? I live in a major metro area so it's always been slow in my area. Has it slowed down even more with everyone? People still running into collection dumps and dream boxes?

Good luck everyone!

Upvote 0

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its gotten real bad in my area and id say forum wide its gotten worse over all
I wish you luck

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

boristhespider88

Bronze Member
May 10, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
How's everyone doing? It's been a while since I last posted. TimZim still have more silver in his vaults than South America? I had to give the hobby/addiction a break last year due to priorities. My kid is now 1 year old and is (thankfully) sleeping through the night. I'm starting to think I'll have more time to look through some coins.
It's been a perfect storm of temptations attacking me recently. Was browsing craigslist the other day and I ran into a posting for silver coins selling really cheap. Needless to say it tickled my fancy. Then 15 minutes later the episode of "Pawn Stars" aired with that guy that had $110,000 worth of silver coins/bullion. The final nail in the coffin was finding a '64 Kennedy behind my dresser. Even though it wasn't a true find in the wild the instant rush of "finding" silver hit me.

I have the itch again. I'm thinking about starting again. Slowly at first then build my bankroll up again.

Question: How's the silver in the wild? I live in a major metro area so it's always been slow in my area. Has it slowed down even more with everyone? People still running into collection dumps and dream boxes?

Good luck everyone!

Welcome back buddy!

I have scaled down my hunting a lot, I've only been hitting stuff here and there.

Good to have you back on the forum!

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
image.jpg I'm completely new to this and decided to hunt for whatever I could starting last month. I bought a box of cents and pulled a few wheaties. Bought $400 worth of Halves and nothing before 1971, figured I found someone's dump lot. Then tried a box of nickels and with my 11 and 13 year olds, we pulled 45 Indian Heads and 3 War Nickels. some rolls had 3 and 4 Indians. Best roll had 8! Waited a few days and went back to same bank for another box…hallway through the box and with nothing great being pulled…I realize how awesome the first box was!

Last edited:

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
There have been a few collection dump finds but I haven't seen a dream box found in this forum in quite a while. Maybe 1 or 2 total in the last 6-9 months.

crhstreetwalker

Apr 27, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
It's definitely not as good as it was in 2012 and 2013, but it's still there. As more and more time progresses, more and more people become aware of the value of silver rather than the $.50 face value, more and more tellers become aware of silver and cherrypick that which makes it into circulation, etc.

OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks everyone! Yea after reading a few if the threads posted I'm starting to get that same vibe. It seems silver has slowed down. I probably won't be doing boxes again as I only found 2 40%ers the last time I did boxes regularly. The disadvantages of living in a major metro area. My main source were CWRs and collection dumps.

barneyb71

Mar 6, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found that just in the last 2 months there are less true CWRs and more banks have become dumping grounds for halves. I have also been getting the "sorry we just sold all of our halves to someone this morning" or "you're the third person to ask today". Some of the banks that use to sell are now asking if I have an account with them otherwise they can't sell any change. I'm not going to go get accounts at 4 or 5 banks to do this. Not that I did alot of volume but I'm going to cut down, don't have time or money at the moment. I still do enjoy looking through change, might just stick to pennies and nickels, I still have luck with those.

Infowarrior

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2012
Fema Region 3
Detector(s) used
NOX 800, Ace 250, Garret Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ive been getting skunked big time this year... especially the last month...

Month of april ive done 78 boxes, and found 1 walker, 1 64 ken and 11 40%ers... (about 2.3 oz of silver)

SilverFace

Silver Member
Aug 21, 2011
Silverville
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 984634 I'm completely new to this and decided to hunt for whatever I could starting last month. I bought a box of cents and pulled a few wheaties. Bought $400 worth of Halves and nothing before 1971, figured I found someone's dump lot. Then tried a box of nickels and with my 11 and 13 year olds, we pulled 45 Indian Heads and 3 War Nickels. some rolls had 3 and 4 Indians. Best roll had 8! Waited a few days and went back to same bank for another box…hallway through the box and with nothing great being pulled…I realize how awesome the first box was!

45 buffalos and 3 war nickels from your very first box? That was an awesome first box - bet u and your kids had a fun time searching that one. U likely wont ever find another box as good as that one. I've been averaging about one buffalo nickel every $200 searched and about one war nickel every $100 searched.

And I had some pretty good half boxes at the start of the year but the last couple of months my boxes have pretty much dried up. But I don't do volume a lot of others do. But the biggest difference I've noticed lately is with the customer halves. Seems like the best I can find is just one or two clad coins here and there. I think I've only found a total of 8 40% from cwrs this year and 6 of those were from some cwrs I got at the very beginning of the year on Jan 3rd. But u just never know with this hobby. There has been some great finds and scores from boxes, bags and cwrs that people have posted fairly recently so I wouldn't say the hobby is dead yet. :)

H$H!

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey buddy, its been slow, but like others say, there are still silver coins to be found, you just have to be in the right place at the right time. If you have the urge, you must hunt. :)

OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Buff! What's up!

Gonna dip my toes in this week. Nothing big. 1 bank. Ask for halves and get $100 in dimes.

maverick

Silver Member
Mar 10, 2012
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice to see you post! It's def not like is use to be, as others have said, too many people informing tellers and the big run there seems to be now on CWR's not too much is making to the boxes, at least not like they use to. For me, use to be if there was one in the box there was ten, now if there is one in the box there might be another lol. It's still getting through some what, but not like it use to be, persistance is going to be the key now, good luck, and nice seeing you again! HH, Maverick.

OP
OP
usernameerror

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Good to see you Maverick!! CWRs were basically my only source for silver. Hoping there's still some out there. Good luck!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread