The story of a very rude teller.

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
This morning I went to TD and dumped about 190$ in nickels and dimes, and around 36$ I believe in cents. (I dump cents seperate than anything else so the machine does not count dimes as cents. Lost 12$ once and I like dumping this way now. Havent had a problem since) I got my exchange dollar bills and left. I then went to Androscoggin Bank and asked about ordering halves if I became a customer but pretty much got told they would only do it for businesses but they were polite at least. I then picked up a box of dimes from my main pick up bank and found nothing, (they didnt have my halves yet either by the way, thats why I got dimes instead of 20 rolls of halves. I dont have 500$ to shell out on a full box quite yet but will soon) so I went back to TD on the way to work and gave them 46 rolls of dimes. (The box wasnt short, I just only had 230$ to spend at my pickup bank so they got a full sealed box from the vault and took out 4 rolls and gave me the rest, but I checked them so it counts as searching a full box) Me and the teller were laughing a bit and shes kinda cute I may add. All of a sudden a hear a decent amount of halves being dumped a few "windows" down from me (loose ones, not in rolls). I ask another teller near the one Im dumping these coins off at if hes getting rid of halves and she replies with something along the lines of "We are not inclined to tell you any of that sort of information." To which I rebuttle by saying "I heard them I believe those were halves" in a sort of goofy playful way to alleviate the tension I could feel in her tone. She then said I can guess all I want or something like that. I finish up my transaction and get my 230$ back for the dimes, and ask for 35 rolls of Machine wrapped paper rolls of dimes. Rude teller says something like this cannot be done as a full box has to be purchased from the vault which I dont believe is true. I ask if I can buy the halves the man just gave them and I get told simply no. I ask for a box of pennies, I get told no. Then I ask her if they were low on coin or something and she said something along the lines of "I cant really give an explanation its just a no". She was very rude in all of her replies and I believe she is trying to ward me off as a dumper at that bank. Everyone else there is friendly and Ive never had a problem with anyone. I dont dump extreme amounts (Maybe 4 or 5 boxes of cents/nickels a WEEK combined with some dimes here and there) there, and I know you arent supposed to pick up where you dump, but I rarely pick up from them, maybe 2 boxes of cents and a few dozen rolls of dimes since opening the account a few months ago. Thought Id share with you guys. This lady was unneccisarilly harsh, and when I told the story to the credit union at work, she said she would have filed a complaint to a higher power there. Long read guys, I am sorry. Also, what would you have done in my situation??

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ThePt78Gamer

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
This morning I went to TD and dumped about 190$ in nickels and dimes, and around 36$ I believe in cents. (I dump cents seperate than anything else so the machine does not count dimes as cents. Lost 12$ once and I like dumping this way now. Havent had a problem since) I got my exchange dollar bills and left. I then went to Androscoggin Bank and asked about ordering halves if I became a customer but pretty much got told they would only do it for businesses but they were polite at least. I then picked up a box of dimes from my main pick up bank and found nothing, (they didnt have my halves yet either by the way, thats why I got dimes instead of 20 rolls of halves. I dont have 500$ to shell out on a full box quite yet but will soon) so I went back to TD on the way to work and gave them 46 rolls of dimes. (The box wasnt short, I just only had 230$ to spend at my pickup bank so they got a full sealed box from the vault and took out 4 rolls and gave me the rest, but I checked them so it counts as searching a full box) Me and the teller were laughing a bit and shes kinda cute I may add. All of a sudden a hear a decent amount of halves being dumped a few "windows" down from me (loose ones, not in rolls). I ask another teller near the one Im dumping these coins off at if hes getting rid of halves and she replies with something along the lines of "We are not inclined to tell you any of that sort of information." To which I rebuttle by saying "I heard them I believe those were halves" in a sort of goofy playful way to alleviate the tension I could feel in her tone. She then said I can guess all I want or something like that. I finish up my transaction and get my 230$ back for the dimes, and ask for 35 rolls of Machine wrapped paper rolls of dimes. Rude teller says something like this cannot be done as a full box has to be purchased from the vault which I dont believe is true. I ask if I can buy the halves the man just gave them and I get told simply no. I ask for a box of pennies, I get told no. Then I ask her if they were low on coin or something and she said something along the lines of "I cant really give an explanation its just a no". She was very rude in all of her replies and I believe she is trying to ward me off as a dumper at that bank. Everyone else there is friendly and Ive never had a problem with anyone. I dont dump extreme amounts (Maybe 4 or 5 boxes of cents/nickels a WEEK combined with some dimes here and there) there, and I know you arent supposed to pick up where you dump, but I rarely pick up from them, maybe 2 boxes of cents and a few dozen rolls of dimes since opening the account a few months ago. Thought Id share with you guys. This lady was unneccisarilly harsh, and when I told the story to the credit union at work, she said she would have filed a complaint to a higher power there. Long read guys, I am sorry. Also, what would you have done in my situation??

I left out a small part of the story. After the lady said that I can "make any guess as to what he dumped on the counter" as I want, I replied very politely and seriously saying "Oh um, would it be alright if I asked him?" To which she said "we can actually get you for harassing the customers". THATS why I was so upset and disgruntled by the whole experience. Its like she wanted to get rid of me, no matter what the cost.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I left out a small part of the story. After the lady said that I can "make any guess as to what he dumped on the counter" as I want, I replied very politely and seriously saying "Oh um, would it be alright if I asked him?" To which she said "we can actually get you for harassing the customers". THATS why I was so upset and disgruntled by the whole experience. Its like she wanted to get rid of me, no matter what the cost.

People are there to conduct their personal business. Many don't like it when people ask us how much we are dumping, why we need the coins, what we are looking for etc etc etc. People are very private about their money and personal business so I can see why there would be a rule about asking other customers about their financial transactions. This part of the story just further proves what everyone including myself said, you pushed too far - didnt recognize the signs - and you will be lucky if the next time you go into that bank they don't tell you your account is closed or there is a fee for picking up/dumping coin. It's that easy for them to get rid of you. One pissed off teller can and will turn a bank into a non crh friendly one.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
others already said it. don't dump more than once a week at a single bank if possible. if you have to dump multiple times a week at one bank try and get some more banks. Even banks I dump once a week at get sick of me sometimes, so I read their 'tolerance barometers.' If I can tell they are getting pissed, I take a month off that bank. I've managed to keep most of my relationships going years. The key to this hobby too is - turn enemy tellers into allies. I can't tell you how many times I let rudeness slide, only to end up becoming friends with a teller. we are kind of a pain to them, keep this in mind.

some don't have the liberty of dumping at multiple banks, but there are other ways to tone down your imprint at the bank. get that bank roll up so you can completely cut out small scale pickups/dropoffs, and cut your stops in 1/2 or 1/4. avoid weird amounts, like $230. do everything in increments that they come in in the boxes. picking up at a dump bank is ok, in my experience, as long as it's not every time, not an order, and you ask for it as part of your money back from the dump.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
one more piece of advice that may not be on here,

That teller knows what you're doing and clearly has an " I know what you're doing complex." this is a common complex among humans in general. it usually manifests itself in giving you a hard time and putting up roadblocks. be the bigger man, smile and move on. it's all a game, you gotta win it, not try to prove some point you think you need to make

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ummm.

Its not "like" she wanted to get rid of you.

She actually wanted to.

You have been given a lot of good advice, heed it.

OP
OP
ThePt78Gamer

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
I plan on dumping there tomorrow before work. I will never again ask for anything but to look in a tellers tray, (which I dont do too much anyway there) ask if anyone has large dollar coins, or ask if there are any rolls of halves. I also plan on letting said teller if I see her again and an issue comes up that I will not be returning the half rolls Im picking up. If anything comes even close to out of hand, Ill back off and finish my regular business and leave. Its a good thing I made an account on this site... people who have been doing this much longer than I have giving insight and info really helps. I thank you all for not beating me up too much about it. 8-)

OP
OP
ThePt78Gamer

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
The old teller was probably ticked 'cause you were hitting on the young chick.

She wasnt any older than 30 eheheh. I dont know, I made a lot of bad moves and asked the wrong questions. Ill bandage things up there in time with at least that one teller anyway. Everyone else there I smile and get along with great as it is.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I plan on dumping there tomorrow before work. I will never again ask for anything but to look in a tellers tray, (which I dont do too much anyway there) ask if anyone has large dollar coins, or ask if there are any rolls of halves. I also plan on letting said teller if I see her again and an issue comes up that I will not be returning the half rolls Im picking up. If anything comes even close to out of hand, Ill back off and finish my regular business and leave. Its a good thing I made an account on this site... people who have been doing this much longer than I have giving insight and info really helps. I thank you all for not beating me up too much about it. 8-)

We advise you give it a rest for a few weeks, you go in the next day to talk to her.

715899783_37874918_xlarge.png

westkybanded

Sep 9, 2013
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QuickSilver
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Take a box of donuts with you... Maybe two boxes.

Fresh- not the ones that have been sitting at Walmart since 6am.

danloop

Feb 16, 2014
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Unicorn Treasure Master Pro
Modes:
Dowsing
Pulse Induction
Multi-Frequency
Ground Penetrating Radar
Beat Frequency Oscillation
Aural Target Identification
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

If you were a friend of mine relating this story, I would tell you to just stay away from the bank.

And stop trying to talk to that teller.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ThePt78Gamer

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
I have no choice but to go there and dump. Its the only dump bank that I know of around here besides Androscoggin county bank and I dont have an account with them, nor do I want to spend 25$ (the minimum account balance fee) to open an account just to dump there once or twice a week. I went there today and she wasnt there, I did my dumping, checked the nicest teller theres tray, (Shes about my age and pregnant, pretty hot too but thats not what Im thinking about when doing coin related things) and shes the one who pushed it towards me to look through for a second while getting my bills, I didnt even ask to, she just knows Ive looked before and offered) asked for halves which they didnt get anymore in that they didnt already have, and then picked up 175$ in clear plastic rolls of dimes. I asked if they were the dimes I had dropped off here a few days ago and she said they just got them in from Garda? I think thats what she said, maybe some "3rd party" courier. I dont remember ever hearing about them. I also told her not to worry and that I wouldnt be bringing them back, to which she said "Its okay if you do anyway Its not like Its a full box". And then I left to mcdonalds and work.

foofighters

Nov 7, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking you need take a step back and build into it.

It may be your only choice for dumping right now but it will probably be a good idea to slow down even though you are doing small amounts.

Whats your exit plan if they do get sick of it and cut you off?

This is a hobby that is best started out a little slow and build your way up.

OP
OP
ThePt78Gamer

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm thinking you need take a step back and build into it.

It may be your only choice for dumping right now but it will probably be a good idea to slow down even though you are doing small amounts.

Whats your exit plan if they do get sick of it and cut you off?

This is a hobby that is best started out a little slow and build your way up.

I would get an account at androscoggin county bank and have to use theirs. Id then turn this TD bank into a "ask for halves, dollar coins, and boxes when Im around" type thing. (I got hooked up with a free student account until Im like 23 or 24 years old because the lady I talked to when I set up the account pulled some strings for me. A sweet deal indeed) Since the "rude teller" wasnt there, I think Im all set. I wont be back to dump there until at least Monday, which is 3 days from now. And in that case, it will in fact have been about a week since shes seen me. I didnt even need a bag change this time, which surprised me since I dump 45$ or so in cents.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have no choice but to go there and dump. Its the only dump bank that I know of around here besides Androscoggin county bank and I dont have an account with them, nor do I want to spend 25$ (the minimum account balance fee) to open an account just to dump there once or twice a week. I went there today and she wasnt there, I did my dumping, checked the nicest teller theres tray, (Shes about my age and pregnant, pretty hot too but thats not what Im thinking about when doing coin related things) and shes the one who pushed it towards me to look through for a second while getting my bills, I didnt even ask to, she just knows Ive looked before and offered) asked for halves which they didnt get anymore in that they didnt already have, and then picked up 175$ in clear plastic rolls of dimes. I asked if they were the dimes I had dropped off here a few days ago and she said they just got them in from Garda? I think thats what she said, maybe some "3rd party" courier. I dont remember ever hearing about them. I also told her not to worry and that I wouldnt be bringing them back, to which she said "Its okay if you do anyway Its not like Its a full box". And then I left to mcdonalds and work.

Why ask for advice when you have absolutely no intention of listening?

I believe I have just retired from the "try to help a new guy out" club.

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow. That is all I can say. All our a advice has fallen on deaf ears. Sounds like you plan to keep dumping multiple times a week at the same bank you pick up. You will be run out of this hobby so quickly it'll make your head spin. Sad part is you don't care who you might take down with you...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions