The story of a very rude teller.

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
This morning I went to TD and dumped about 190$ in nickels and dimes, and around 36$ I believe in cents. (I dump cents seperate than anything else so the machine does not count dimes as cents. Lost 12$ once and I like dumping this way now. Havent had a problem since) I got my exchange dollar bills and left. I then went to Androscoggin Bank and asked about ordering halves if I became a customer but pretty much got told they would only do it for businesses but they were polite at least. I then picked up a box of dimes from my main pick up bank and found nothing, (they didnt have my halves yet either by the way, thats why I got dimes instead of 20 rolls of halves. I dont have 500$ to shell out on a full box quite yet but will soon) so I went back to TD on the way to work and gave them 46 rolls of dimes. (The box wasnt short, I just only had 230$ to spend at my pickup bank so they got a full sealed box from the vault and took out 4 rolls and gave me the rest, but I checked them so it counts as searching a full box) Me and the teller were laughing a bit and shes kinda cute I may add. All of a sudden a hear a decent amount of halves being dumped a few "windows" down from me (loose ones, not in rolls). I ask another teller near the one Im dumping these coins off at if hes getting rid of halves and she replies with something along the lines of "We are not inclined to tell you any of that sort of information." To which I rebuttle by saying "I heard them I believe those were halves" in a sort of goofy playful way to alleviate the tension I could feel in her tone. She then said I can guess all I want or something like that. I finish up my transaction and get my 230$ back for the dimes, and ask for 35 rolls of Machine wrapped paper rolls of dimes. Rude teller says something like this cannot be done as a full box has to be purchased from the vault which I dont believe is true. I ask if I can buy the halves the man just gave them and I get told simply no. I ask for a box of pennies, I get told no. Then I ask her if they were low on coin or something and she said something along the lines of "I cant really give an explanation its just a no". She was very rude in all of her replies and I believe she is trying to ward me off as a dumper at that bank. Everyone else there is friendly and Ive never had a problem with anyone. I dont dump extreme amounts (Maybe 4 or 5 boxes of cents/nickels a WEEK combined with some dimes here and there) there, and I know you arent supposed to pick up where you dump, but I rarely pick up from them, maybe 2 boxes of cents and a few dozen rolls of dimes since opening the account a few months ago. Thought Id share with you guys. This lady was unneccisarilly harsh, and when I told the story to the credit union at work, she said she would have filed a complaint to a higher power there. Long read guys, I am sorry. Also, what would you have done in my situation??

Upvote 0

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You dumped at a bank twice in one day and also wanted to buy more coins from that same bank (that you will presumably dump there soon) and wonder why you are getting grief? You are wearing out your welcome! Try to not stop at the same dump bank more than 1-2 times per week to avoid angering the tellers. As far as reporting the teller to the higher ups, is that you want to be know as at TD? "That's the guy that got so-and-so in trouble." I guarantee that will not be beneficial to you or to any other crh's in the area. Finally, you need to read the clues.... she doesnt like crh's or was having a bad day. Let it go, get your money and leave! Don't instigate things further, dont ask why cant I have those halves, why cant I buy dimes, why cant I buy pennies.....you have everything to lose and nothing to gain by pissing teller(s) off.

Last edited:

Alchemist

Feb 8, 2014
Badger State
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Platinum Pro w/11" coil, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 202, Garret ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
is there any way to mix it up more with more banks? I have one dump bank -- strictly dump. I have 2 other banks I buy from. I might get more. But never the 2 shall meet.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would give this bank a rest and then after a week or two, just use them for dumping. It's clear they don't want to supply you with coin anymore so they are a dump bank. Don't over do it with the dumping either. One visit per week, max.

OP
OP
ThePt78Gamer

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
You dumped at a bank twice in one day and also wanted to buy more coins from that same bank (that you will presumably dump there soon) and wonder why you are getting grief? You are wearing out your welcome! Try to not stop at the same dump bank more than 1-2 times per week to avoid angering the tellers. As far as reporting the teller to the higher ups, is that you want to be know as at TD? "That's the guy that got so-and-so in trouble." I guarantee that will not be beneficial to you or to any other crh's in the area. Finally, you need to read the clues.... she doesnt like crh's or was having a bad day. Let it go, get your money and leave! Don't instigate things further, dont ask why cant I have those halves, why cant I buy dimes, why cant I buy pennies.....you have everything to lose and nothing to gain by pissing teller(s) off.

It was just unexpected I suppose as I have never had a problem with them. She may have been having a bad day, she acted very rude in an odd kind of way. I didnt have any intention of reporting her. I dump maybe about 3 to 4 times a week here, and the amounts vary. Today one was a penny arcade dump, the other were 46 brinks unopened rolls over the counter as exchange. Which I again tried getting different dimes for and wouldnt have been back for at least a few days to dump them. Ill remain keeping it low key. Strictly dump is pretty much what it has been besides some dimes here and there. As I said, I very rarely pick up from them. 2 boxes of cents over the course of a couple months of having an account, and dimes every so often. (Maybe once every 2 weeks or less)

OP
OP
ThePt78Gamer

ThePt78Gamer

Apr 28, 2014
Maine
Primary Interest:
Other
I would give this bank a rest and then after a week or two, just use them for dumping. It's clear they don't want to supply you with coin anymore so they are a dump bank. Don't over do it with the dumping either. One visit per week, max.
I pretty much do just use this bank for dumping only. I just wanted to pick up some dimes before going into work and must of hit a bad nerve asking what another person was getting rid of. I know it was halves, I can tell what sound they make. I more than likely will never ask this place for coin other than halves again.(I dont dump halves in a machine, I always reroll them and get rid of them at a different TD bank or to the money podium at work)

GarouLady

Sep 6, 2012
Michigan
Primary Interest:
Other
I've done dumps and pickups at the same bank. I have to drive all the way into town to the one bank branch that has free coin counter if you are a member, every single other bank and CU charges, whether or not you are a member. I tend to dump nickels and other loose change I have with me like once a month (max I dumped was about 400 dollars) and picked up a box of dimes that I dumped about a month later at the same place. I've only done this like twice in the past year but I don't make a habit out of it because its a big no-no to dump and pick up at the same places. I just wish I had a friend to go CRHing with me. Make a day of it because in less than like 15 miles, we have over 100 branches of banks, and CUs and I so want to hit up every single one to see what I can find. Just one day to do this would be mega sweet.

Sincerely, Garoulady

Diver_Down

Silver Member
Dec 13, 2008
St. Augustine, FL
This morning I went to TD and dumped about 190$ in nickels and dimes, and around 36$ I believe in cents. (I dump cents seperate than anything else so the machine does not count dimes as cents. Lost 12$ once and I like dumping this way now. Havent had a problem since) I got my exchange dollar bills and left. I then went to Androscoggin Bank and asked about ordering halves if I became a customer but pretty much got told they would only do it for businesses but they were polite at least. I then picked up a box of dimes from my main pick up bank and found nothing, (they didnt have my halves yet either by the way, thats why I got dimes instead of 20 rolls of halves. I dont have 500$ to shell out on a full box quite yet but will soon) so I went back to TD on the way to work and gave them 46 rolls of dimes. (The box wasnt short, I just only had 230$ to spend at my pickup bank so they got a full sealed box from the vault and took out 4 rolls and gave me the rest, but I checked them so it counts as searching a full box) Me and the teller were laughing a bit and shes kinda cute I may add. All of a sudden a hear a decent amount of halves being dumped a few "windows" down from me (loose ones, not in rolls). I ask another teller near the one Im dumping these coins off at if hes getting rid of halves and she replies with something along the lines of "We are not inclined to tell you any of that sort of information." To which I rebuttle by saying "I heard them I believe those were halves" in a sort of goofy playful way to alleviate the tension I could feel in her tone. She then said I can guess all I want or something like that. I finish up my transaction and get my 230$ back for the dimes, and ask for 35 rolls of Machine wrapped paper rolls of dimes. Rude teller says something like this cannot be done as a full box has to be purchased from the vault which I dont believe is true. I ask if I can buy the halves the man just gave them and I get told simply no. I ask for a box of pennies, I get told no. Then I ask her if they were low on coin or something and she said something along the lines of "I cant really give an explanation its just a no". She was very rude in all of her replies and I believe she is trying to ward me off as a dumper at that bank. Everyone else there is friendly and Ive never had a problem with anyone. I dont dump extreme amounts (Maybe 4 or 5 boxes of cents/nickels a WEEK combined with some dimes here and there) there, and I know you arent supposed to pick up where you dump, but I rarely pick up from them, maybe 2 boxes of cents and a few dozen rolls of dimes since opening the account a few months ago. Thought Id share with you guys. This lady was unneccisarilly harsh, and when I told the story to the credit union at work, she said she would have filed a complaint to a higher power there. Long read guys, I am sorry. Also, what would you have done in my situation??

Wall of Text. The Return Key is your friend.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
Which I again tried getting different dimes for and wouldn't have been back for at least a few days to dump them.

You'll be out of the game within a month at this rate, I guarantee it. You'll also knock some other hunters out as well.
I had some **** head in my area ordering and picking coin up from banks and bringing it back! This went on for 2-3 weeks until new bank policy came in and they stopped ordering, not just for him, but everyone! I was hated, I found the guy and laid him straight, I don't think he CRH's any more, but damn was I pissed! Lost my pick up banks closest to my house.

starkizzle

Mar 9, 2014
Maine
Detector(s) used
soon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please remember i hunt those grounds... and have talked to most of those tellers.. most of them know what hunters are.. I've gotten good advice about these situations... get on there good side, she may just be having a bad day, and yes i think pickup/dump should be seperate..( but i always ask for big dollar coins)
I just don't want to go to the banks tomorrow and get the cold shoulder because of another CRHer

Yawnie88

Greenie
Mar 31, 2013
MINNESOTA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like a bad day for her. I would be careful. Tellers do remember a person that continually dumps at their banks or CU. Take it from someone who is in the business. They get either the bad rep or the good. Give it a few and than maybe go back and try again. And tellers talk. They will spread the word and like said, good or bad. I know one of the CRH's who only comes in 2 or 3 times a month, but has build up such a good relationship with every teller that they put away things just for him because he such a nice guy. Its all about building up a relationship and planning dumps.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've gotten some great advice so far. If you're smart and/or want to continue in this hobby, you'll listen. I'll add this: The key to success in this hobby is to be able to "fly under the radar" so to speak. CRHers cost banks money. Period. The easiest, least time-consuming, and most profitable way for a bank to deal with the CRHer is to not deal with the CRHer. Keep that in mind.

Its not really the amount you dump, rather its the amount of work its going to cause the teller(s), and the frequency at which you cause said work. The less work you cause the teller, the better. For example, dumping 20 rolls of halves once a week is likely to cause you less trouble than dumping a half a box of cents twice per day, even though it would be a higher dollar amount per week.

Here's a little story that might be relevant. Many moons ago I worked in a hunting/fishing supply store. The owner was a coffee drinker and he provided free coffee in the mornings for the customers, which was mainly consumed by the same group of old codgers that would gather telling hunting and fishing lies...errr stories. Regardless, free coffee was available for all, and this had been going on for years. Around coffee dumping time one day as I was getting ready to pour out about half of a pot, a customer asked if he could have it as he had a thermos in his truck. Of course I gave it to him. A few days later he came in again, filled his thermos, and left. We kinda laughed about it. But, within a couple of weeks, this was an almost everyday thing, and he never spent one dime in the store. Finally, the owner told him one morning that the free coffee was intended for customers to drink while shopping in the store, not to fill their thermoses from and leave. Shockingly, the thermos filler was upset at the owner for being so rude to him. He stated that the coffee was free, he had as much right to it as anyone else, and basically he'd take all he wanted. The owner removed the coffee pot right then and there and no one ever again got free coffee at the store.

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't spend time here defending your actions- we've all made mistakes, small or big, and we are giving you valuable advice on how to last in this hobby. I'd put that energy into correcting the relationship with that bank. I gauge a bank's capacities; do they have a machine, or do the tellers have to physically count it? Does the machine have small bags, or is it a big bin? How often will they have to work the machine if you are dumping? If they have to physically handle your money (count it themselves or handle the rolls), I would not dump in large quantities.

I would not pick up where I dumped either. I have changed some banks over (once a pickup, now a dump, and vice versa). I usually give them at least a month before I come back and change my pattern. I check to see if there are new employees or someone that remembers me negatively before I begin again.

Just use common sense: Am I causing them more difficulty than I am worth as a customer? Am I wearing out my welcome? Am I doing what I can to minimize their effort?

Like others said- one ignorant person can ruin banks for others. I had a WONDERFUL bank that I can no longer order from due to a change in management and their reaction to a parking lot searcher who would be in the same branch 3 or 4 times a day.

If I found that person...well, there's a handy tool to make sure their parking lot search stays in the parking lot :laughing7:

agme

Feb 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When trying to up your volume you what to go slow and build good relationships. With a limited bankroll and not driving yet it will take you longer. Don't try to rush things too much. The more you pick-up and dump the more you up the odds of dealing with a teller "having a bad day". If you CRH long enough it will happen (but you try to do everything you can to make it not happen) but some things are out of your control. I make it a point not to visit any one bank more then once a week. When you have a great relationship with the tellers and you visit once a week for one simple pick-up or dump, you almost always get the warm welcomes when you walk in the door. But when I started out, I too over did things, and it wasn't long before I got that "not so welcome" greeting/feeling.

hokielegend

Nov 8, 2012
east
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
^^^^^
Words from the Wise.
This time a double negative (when you're dumping 3-4 times a week PLUS eating where you are dumping) does not equal to a positive.

ArkieBass- thx for the story!

unclehuckelberry

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
trashuandme.jpg This is a no no.

usernameerror

Apr 30, 2012
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Other
Rude tellers are inevitable. You got to take their rudeness with a grain of salt. No disrespect to anyone on here but a teller job is basically a fast food job with a suit. They don't get paid well and have to deal with rude people coming in and out expecting quick service. So imagine having to do that every day. Like I said no disrespect to anyone.

Iamrussell

Bronze Member
Mar 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's been some very sound and good advice given here by CRH vets- LISTEN to them closely if you want to make it a long term hobby-

-------------------------------------
just keep stacking, just keep stacking, stacking stacking stacking

toorude89

Jul 2, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Everyone here is trying to tell you you pushed your luck a little too far...and you're not hearing it. I can feel the same frustration as that teller mounting as I read your story. People say don't dump and pick-up, you say you were just picking up a little. People say don't dump more than once a week, you say you only dump a few times a week. Picking up a little counts as a pick-up and a few is more than 1.

Should have read her on the first "no" as someone who wasn't going to cooperate and cut your losses. Now, as others pointed out, you may have jeopardized your relationship with the bank as well as fellow CRHs. We all made similar mistakes when starting out, but if you listen and stifle the excuses and explanations you will be just fine. Thanks for sharing. Next time, stay down.

HH!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions